Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 10:51 PM

193 posts, read 98,178 times

Advertisements

First, my apology. I originally placed this thread in the automotive section because it's later than I thought and half my brain is already asleep. I tried deleting it, but it wouldn't go away. I have asked a moderator (who is probably asleep at this late hour) to move it to the appropriate place. I hope he/she chooses this one because I've decided this is where it needs to be.

So, when I was reading the thread about Cushing Oklahoma, earthquakes were mentioned. I thought you would like to see how many quakes California and Nevada have in a week. The list is constantly updating, the most recent are at the top.

http://scedc.caltech.edu/recent/Quakes/quakes0.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2018, 07:48 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Oh yeah....earthquakes. If 2 weeks go by here without one strong enough to rattle pots we start wondering what's wrong! Our shake maps are busy. There was a 5.7 on Wed.

https://earthquake.alaska.edu/earthquakes

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-23-2018 at 09:08 PM..

Old 11-23-2018, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Oh yeah....earthquakes. If 2 weeks go by here without one strong enough to rattle pots we start wondering what's wrong! Our shake maps are busy. There was a 5.7 on Wed.

https://earthquake.alaska.edu/earthquakes
Hot damn, you win! Thanks for the link, I saved it. My one and only was the 1992 Landers quake in the high desert in California. That 7.3 changed my life and my priorities.

Now I'm in Texas and it's hard not to laugh when a magnitude 3 near Dallas makes the news.

Old 11-30-2018, 11:18 AM

Just had another quake at about 8:30 am local time...estimates have ranged from 7.2 to 6.6. Tsunami warnings issued for my area. They issue automated phone, satellite receiver warnings, and there are sirens in town. I can see Cook Inlet from a distance but it's snowing lightly and not quite clear enough to pick out details if there is a large wave. Why anyone would choose to buy/build a house on the coast at sea level in this state is beyond me. I'm high enough not to worry about that, but you do worry about structural damage and broken utility lines (like nat gas). House was really rocking and rolling, aviary birds upset, dog is pacing, trees were groaning and swaying, and there have been aftershocks.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-30-2018 at 11:40 AM..

Old 11-30-2018, 03:35 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
WEATHER Forum is where this should be.

Old 11-30-2018, 04:17 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
WEATHER Forum is where this should be.

Why the weather forum? As far as I'm aware there is no such thing as earthquake weather and no evidence that seismic activity correlates with meteorological activity. I think the Nature forum is an appropriate enough forum to discuss seismology.

Last edited by Zoisite; 11-30-2018 at 04:58 PM..

Old 11-30-2018, 04:51 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
Just had another quake at about 8:30 am local time...estimates have ranged from 7.2 to 6.6. Tsunami warnings issued for my area. They issue automated phone, satellite receiver warnings, and there are sirens in town. I can see Cook Inlet from a distance but it's snowing lightly and not quite clear enough to pick out details if there is a large wave. Why anyone would choose to buy/build a house on the coast at sea level in this state is beyond me. I'm high enough not to worry about that, but you do worry about structural damage and broken utility lines (like nat gas). House was really rocking and rolling, aviary birds upset, dog is pacing, trees were groaning and swaying, and there have been aftershocks.

No doubt you will be getting aftershocks for awhile. Hang in there. I guess if you've lived there any length of time now you have gotten somewhat accustomed to the near constant seismic activity there. It's still scary no matter what. We get them here too but nothing like what you folks get up there. If I was up there you couldn't pay me enough to live at sea level near the coast.

I don't know if you are old enough to remember the 9.2 that happened in Alaska in 1964 but I do. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964_Alaska_earthquake

I was living in the north about 150 miles inland from Prince Rupert BC near the Skeena River at the time. We got shaken strongly enough at our place that some of our rougher work-shops and out-buildings on the homestead broke apart and came down. Some humongous cottonwood trees uprooted too and came down, the root balls just shook loose out of the ground. I remember a couple of the bigger local rivers flowing backwards because of the tsunamis going down the west coast and flooding out several lowland valleys and homestead farms and leaving a god-awful mess behind after the waters receded and resumed normal flow to the coast.

Old 11-30-2018, 05:55 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Why the weather forum? As far as I'm aware there is no such thing as earthquake weather and no evidence that seismic activity correlates with meteorological activity. I think the Nature forum is an appropriate enough forum to discuss seismology.

Nature is the off shoot of Animal Forum.

Tsunami is Weather change Caused by Earthquake

Sure Does Not belong in Automotive

Old 11-30-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
It's a myth that any quake is releasing pressure. In reality, the pressure is building. Yikes.

I have read the stories written by survivors of the 1964 quake. They suffer to this day. It must have seemed like the end of the world.

How far away are you from the epicenter?

Old 11-30-2018, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlyallergic View Post
It's a myth that any quake is releasing pressure. In reality, the pressure is building. Yikes.

I have read the stories written by survivors of the 1964 quake. They suffer to this day. It must have seemed like the end of the world.

How far away are you from the epicenter?
About 220 miles south. On the coast so I get the tsunami warnings but the house is at about 900 ft elevation.

A couple of long time friends lived through the 1964 quake. Both families lost their homes and one friend lost her sister when the house disappeared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature