U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 11:24 AM

2,700 posts, read 1,171,950 times

Advertisements

Would there be any downside?

Thinking about this after a trip to Galapagos where at the giant tortoise breeding station, they said there is no more egg hatching in the wild due to rats. All are raised in the center, then released when large enough to survive. I know mice are necessary in the food chain, but rats? Nothing but destruction, it seems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 10:26 AM

5,986 posts, read 11,190,169 times
I haven't seen any downside to living without them in the 20 years I've lived here. We saw a dead one on the road a few miles from home yesterday and my stomach turned a little. I hope it fell off a hay truck or something rather than there being an established population out here in the woods.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:05 PM

15,907 posts, read 13,349,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Would there be any downside?

Thinking about this after a trip to Galapagos where at the giant tortoise breeding station, they said there is no more egg hatching in the wild due to rats. All are raised in the center, then released when large enough to survive. I know mice are necessary in the food chain, but rats? Nothing but destruction, it seems.
Why blame the rays and not the people who actually brought them to an ecosystem they never would have encountered otherwise?

Old 12-03-2018, 12:31 PM

6,221 posts, read 5,930,688 times
Would there be any downside if the rats were gone? I don't think so. There are enough of other types of rodents in the world to make up for the loss of rats.

If there were less humans in the world there would be less rats. The spread of rat populations and the endemic problems they bring with them is dependent on the spread of human populations and human industry and pollution and garbage. We have only ourselves to blame for the rat monster we created.

I think there should be a bigger industry in rat meat. I hear it tastes "just like chicken".

Old 12-03-2018, 03:20 PM

1,359 posts, read 658,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Why blame the rays and not the people who actually brought them to an ecosystem they never would have encountered otherwise?
This. Nature is unbalanced because of constant human intervention, whether it's killing off predators, water pollution, destruction of habitat, or introducing non-native species that negatively impact native ones. The Everglades are overrun by non-native snake species that were deliberately released by stupid people. Other areas have problems with other non-native species wiping out the ones native to the area. Same goes for plants, many native plants are decimated by invasive species, which also impacts insects and birds and other animals who rely on the natives.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:44 PM

10,714 posts, read 4,264,452 times
I'll add that there are many species of rats in the world, a couple of these are usually the problem. The rest are not.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:35 PM

7,191 posts, read 2,814,072 times
Rats are as smart as dogs, maybe smarter. It's sad that the giant tortoises can't manage to out fox them, but that's kind of the way Darwin's nature works.

If the tortoises were smart enough to guard their eggs, or even choose one of their members to guard many clutches of eggs at a time, the rats wouldn't be able to eat the eggs. A tortoise can move quickly, and eat or bite a rat to death in a moment. But, that species isn't guarding their young. *shrug*

And honestly, rats are food for many up chain predators.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Rats are as smart as dogs, maybe smarter. It's sad that the giant tortoises can't manage to out fox them, but that's kind of the way Darwin's nature works.

If the tortoises were smart enough to guard their eggs, or even choose one of their members to guard many clutches of eggs at a time, the rats wouldn't be able to eat the eggs. A tortoise can move quickly, and eat or bite a rat to death in a moment. But, that species isn't guarding their young. *shrug*

And honestly, rats are food for many up chain predators.
Evolution does not typically include introduction from tens of thousands of miles away. That isnít nature and it isnít Darwin. Second it is a dangerous fallacy to think evolution favors smart. It doesnít. It favors fit. And smarter is not always fitter.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Would there be any downside if the rats were gone? I don't think so. There are enough of other types of rodents in the world to make up for the loss of rats.

If there were less humans in the world there would be less rats. The spread of rat populations and the endemic problems they bring with them is dependent on the spread of human populations and human industry and pollution and garbage. We have only ourselves to blame for the rat monster we created.

I think there should be a bigger industry in rat meat. I hear it tastes "just like chicken".

Of course there would be a downside to wiping rats off the face of the earth. Now removing them as an invasive species from the Galapagos is a different issue. The positives to diversity would outweigh the negatives.

Rats carry many, many diseases and vectors of disease. It would be a mistake to eat them.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:20 AM

7,191 posts, read 2,814,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Evolution does not typically include introduction from tens of thousands of miles away. That isnít nature and it isnít Darwin. Second it is a dangerous fallacy to think evolution favors smart. It doesnít. It favors fit. And smarter is not always fitter.
It's a dangerous fallacy to think intelligence is not a huge component of fitness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature