U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 12:51 AM

3,808 posts, read 7,239,254 times

Advertisements

Today at the barn I stood a bale of hay on its end, leaned over, and sniffed what had been the underside to make sure it was not moldy. As I put my head right up against the bale, I heard a buzzing right by my ear. I was surprised to hear a wasp at this time of year, so I got my flashlight to get a good look at what was there.

All I saw was a spider. Do spiders buzz?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 01:44 AM

6,252 posts, read 5,947,657 times
Some do buzz, yes, and can make other noises too, including purring, hissing and chirping sounds - it's called stridulation, it may be done as an audible defense warning mechanism to scare intruders away, or to attract a mate, or to call their babies away from danger, or to entice prey into a trap. They can make noises with the hairs on their legs, or vocally through their spider lungs (not through the mouth).

Wolf spiders and tarantulas can be particularly noisy and are noted for the purring sounds they can make. Some spiders with aggressive natures will vocally warn intruders away quite loudly as a warning that they may do harm if the intruder won't leave them alone. It's a self defense mechanism kind of like the way a rattle snake may buzz its tail rattles to warn intruders and give the intruders a chance to get away from them before the snake is forced to strike to defend itself. Some spiders will do the same noisy kind of thing before they bite.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=spider...ed0011c24a745c

Old Today, 11:01 AM

2,435 posts, read 2,157,405 times
Interesting. I did not know that.

Old Today, 12:41 PM

3,808 posts, read 7,239,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Some do buzz, yes, and can make other noises too, including purring, hissing and chirping sounds - it's called stridulation, it may be done as an audible defense warning mechanism to scare intruders away, or to attract a mate, or to call their babies away from danger, or to entice prey into a trap. They can make noises with the hairs on their legs, or vocally through their spider lungs (not through the mouth).

Wolf spiders and tarantulas can be particularly noisy and are noted for the purring sounds they can make. Some spiders with aggressive natures will vocally warn intruders away quite loudly as a warning that they may do harm if the intruder won't leave them alone. It's a self defense mechanism kind of like the way a rattle snake may buzz its tail rattles to warn intruders and give the intruders a chance to get away from them before the snake is forced to strike to defend itself. Some spiders will do the same noisy kind of thing before they bite.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=spider...ed0011c24a745c

Thanks.
It definitely wasn't a wolf spider, but it could have been in this family:
BugBlog: Anyphaenidae: buzzing spiders

Size and general shape and color are right, but I didn't have my glasses on to see markings, and my light was not very good. I'm in Washington State, west of the Cascades; my hay was grown within 20 miles of the barn.

It was nice of the spider to buzz in rather than bite my ear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or