U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 08:07 AM

636 posts, read 369,267 times

Advertisements

What some others said above. We put out some cat food for outdoor cats that visit here and there and any food sitting outside is definitely free game for opossums, cats, birds, squirrels, etc. we now just put the food out only when we see a cat visiting, otherwise it would turn into a soup kitchen for just about every creature. P.S. I swear these cats 'talk' to each other as it started with one coming by and now 4 different ones thus far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 09:54 AM

852 posts, read 737,296 times
Many moons ago I volunteered for the wildlife rehabbers. Our "go to" formula for the fledglings was moistened cat kibble supplemented with bird nutrients. Cat food is a pretty good diet for many birds.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:45 AM

22,133 posts, read 27,036,551 times
We just had a bird (Sparrow, maybe? I am not a bird person.) get into the house. It helped itself to dog food and water from the dog bowl before it left via a door I left open.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:59 AM

31,424 posts, read 2,470,516 times
I have seen many birds eat the food we leave out for ferals.

Old 01-28-2019, 12:17 PM

3,459 posts, read 1,405,192 times
A cardinal used to watch me feed the fish in my pond, then fly in to steal some. Fortunately it was +floating+ fish food.

A friend's German shepherd used to get upset about a blue jay that stole his food out on the deck. One day, friend came home to blue feathers scattered across the yard.

Dog food is lower in protein than cat food, fish food is lower in fat, so I can see that cat food would be the favorite. I even used cat food for the fish when I ran out of fish food.

Old 01-28-2019, 01:51 PM

13,706 posts, read 7,534,135 times
I raised a baby black bird once that was on the ground. I watched it for a couple of hours and the mom never came back to feed it. It was really small and I did the unthinkable and interfered with nature by bringing it in. It was quite weak and I spent hours feeding it a boiled egg with a couple of drops of water. I thought it would be dead by morning and I wanted it to at least die with a full belly and in a warm place.
Well, it was alive and well when the sun came up. I went out and got some worms and fed it again. Then I consulted with a vet from an exotic animal practice and she told me to feed it canned cat food. That bird ate half a can a day and I fed it from sun up until sun down for weeks. It went everywhere with me. It was exhausting.

So yes, birds can eat cat kibble and canned cat food.

Old 01-28-2019, 02:23 PM

6,241 posts, read 3,864,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I never knew birds would eat cat kibble
Wait until the birds start meowing and wanting in.

Old 01-28-2019, 02:29 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,880,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
We have a couple of squirrels that hang out on our first floor kitchen balcony, if they see me in the kitchen, they raise up, leaning their front paws on the sliding door, and give me that, “C’mon Jean, we’re hungry over here”, look.
They love left over pizza, and prawn crackers from Chinese take-out, anything they leave, crows, pigeons, and magpies swoop down and make short work of, no blue jays or red headed woodpeckers in central London though.
A tad concerned for the birds well being, I had a word with a local veterinarian, she said, “Are you kidding, they’re omnivores, if you fainted in the back yard, they’d start on you!”
I feed wild crows all our leftovers except vegetables and fruits. They won't eat them. They love pasta and I give them some of the fat trimmings from my meat. I don't imagine the sodium in our meat is good for them but hey, they scavenge at the dump and out of garbage bags that aren't covered, so my food leftovers are at least clean.

Old 01-28-2019, 02:30 PM

22,133 posts, read 27,036,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Wait until the birds start meowing and wanting in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yup8slN9FVU

Old 01-29-2019, 08:39 AM

2,510 posts, read 2,218,356 times
I stopped putting anything on the patio ledge anymore. I had been setting some seed and peanuts there for the birds and squirrels. The squirrels started chewing the door of my shed to get inside and built a nest under the hood of my car that had only been sitting for 1.5 days and then the neighbors cats were stalking the ledge and walking away with a mouth full of house finch.
Now it just all goes back in the feeders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or