U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 10:50 AM

3,630 posts, read 1,794,357 times

Advertisements

I've been putting whole roasted peanuts out for the blue jays and cardinals, although the enormous crows will snatch up three at a time as well. Maybe I'll switch to inexpensive dry cat kibble instead. Weirdly, I've had two bird feeders outside for a month with high quality seed in them and the birds don't seem to know what they're for. At my old house those feeders would have been emptied daily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 08:51 AM

2,510 posts, read 2,218,356 times
Does anyone know if the cat kibble is actually ok for the birds? I know that around here, a lot of people take bread to a local lake and feed the geese. Some organization had some news spots run on on how bad it is for the geese even tho they gobble it up.

Old 02-05-2019, 02:35 AM

8,036 posts, read 2,551,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I never knew birds would eat cat kibble -- did you?

Sitting here dog and cat-sitting and I moved the bowls with cat kibble for the feral cats up on the railing to keep the dogs from eating it when I let them out...the ferals can leap up onto the railing if they want. They come early in the morning and at dusk...

Now, as I sit here looking out the slider, I've seen bluebirds, male & female, blue jays, a red-headed woodpecker, and various little-medium brown birds (sparrows/warblers?) all flying in to the railing, selecting a piece of kibble and flying off to eat.

Not seen any cat birds yet, though.

Hardly any action on the feeder filled with seed, though...

I'm in Eastern, coastal North Carolina...now there's a flock of Robins hopping about on the grass...

Starlings and scrub jays sneak into my front porch to eat the cat's food. I shoo away the starlings, but I'm fine with the jays getting it. Back in the days when Gaines Meal for dogs was still available (small, red, pea-sized pellets) I bought it to add as a supplement to the grain I fed my pheasants, ducks and geese on our farm. It had a lot of protein, bone meal and fat and they gobbled it up.

Old 02-09-2019, 04:26 PM

345 posts, read 175,375 times
We live in the country and a volunteer peacock showed up one day. (No idea where from!) We thought that was pretty cool and got him some commercial bird feed. He'd eat that as a last resort if there was no cat food available. But he only ate one of the three colors of the cat food mix, wouldn't taste the other two. The cats were NOT happy, but he was four times their size, so what could they do? He wasn't a good sport about them trying to stalk and play with his long tail feathers, either.

He stuck around for several years. I had no idea they could survive snowy winters, always thought they were more tropical. But he was perfectly content to roost in the pine trees, or on the front porch railing. He finally moved a few farms down the road when our new puppy leaped up and pulled out some tail feathers.

By then we weren't sorry. He was never tame enough to hand feed, was a jerk to the cats, and liked to roost with his sharp claws on the hood of my husband's truck. And the amount of droppings all that cat food produced was monumental.

Interesting experience though.

Old Today, 03:47 AM

3,923 posts, read 4,603,697 times
When DH and I had to raise two baby western bluejays, we used cat food, as well as other kinds of foods until the baby birds grew up enough to be let go, at which time we still put out food for them for a time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or