U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 02:16 PM

5,252 posts, read 9,611,653 times

Advertisements

I never knew birds would eat cat kibble -- did you?

Sitting here dog and cat-sitting and I moved the bowls with cat kibble for the feral cats up on the railing to keep the dogs from eating it when I let them out...the ferals can leap up onto the railing if they want. They come early in the morning and at dusk...

Now, as I sit here looking out the slider, I've seen bluebirds, male & female, blue jays, a red-headed woodpecker, and various little-medium brown birds (sparrows/warblers?) all flying in to the railing, selecting a piece of kibble and flying off to eat.

Not seen any cat birds yet, though.

Hardly any action on the feeder filled with seed, though...

I'm in Eastern, coastal North Carolina...now there's a flock of Robins hopping about on the grass...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2019, 02:18 PM

12,393 posts, read 5,974,943 times
Is has protein and fat /shrug

Old 01-27-2019, 03:12 PM

812 posts, read 207,671 times
I put kibble out for the cat in a bowl and I put kibble on a ledge for the birds. The cat has started jumping up to the ledge to eat that food first. I also keep a baggie of Kibble in my car to feed the city crows when we go to town.

The birds are also active at my feeders. I only put out sunflower seeds. They didn't seem to go for the mixed bird seed.

Old 01-27-2019, 04:36 PM

1,245 posts, read 901,145 times
Pretty much anything prowling around will eat it. I've had opossums, skunks, raccoons, and stray chickens eat my cat food. Grackles and starlings are the worst offenders. I like to buy the 44 pound bag of Special Kitty dry food. It doesn't cost that much, and that way I can afford to feed whatever drops by. I do keep the food out of reach of stray dogs, though.

Old 01-27-2019, 05:28 PM

13,616 posts, read 11,229,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post

Sitting here dog and cat-sitting and I moved the bowls with cat kibble for the feral cats up on the railing to keep the dogs from eating it when I let them out...the ferals can leap up onto the railing if they want. They come early in the morning and at dusk...

Now, as I sit here looking out the slider, I've seen bluebirds, male & female, blue jays, a red-headed woodpecker, and various little-medium brown birds (sparrows/warblers?) all flying in to the railing, selecting a piece of kibble and flying off to eat.

I'm in Eastern, coastal North Carolina...now there's a flock of Robins hopping about on the grass...

Oh my yes they will eat dry cat food. In many cases it's a high percentage grain make up. And most birds don't mind protein in their diets either. The dry food we put out for the barn cats we had to keep under cover or the birds would eat most of it. And we had a lot of Magpies that eat meat anyway so the cat food was not even safe. But even the house sparrows would clean up on it.

Old 01-27-2019, 06:20 PM

5,252 posts, read 9,611,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Oh my yes they will eat dry cat food. In many cases it's a high percentage grain make up. And most birds don't mind protein in their diets either. The dry food we put out for the barn cats we had to keep under cover or the birds would eat most of it. And we had a lot of Magpies that eat meat anyway so the cat food was not even safe. But even the house sparrows would clean up on it.
Interesting. I love learning about this. You see, I've never fed birds before and thought you had to give them seeds and suet...or sugar water for the hummers...didn't know about cat kibble. Hope there's nothing in it to harm them...

Was quite a show, to see all the birds coming to the bowl of kibble...my own nature program through the sliding glass door...the red-headed woodpecker made such interesting sounds...

Old 01-27-2019, 06:26 PM

13,616 posts, read 11,229,996 times
Quote:
Interesting. I love learning about this. You see, I've never fed birds before and thought you had to give them seeds and suet...or sugar water for the hummers...didn't know about cat kibble. Hope there's nothing in it to harm them...

Was quite a show, to see all the birds coming to the bowl of kibble...my own nature program through the sliding glass door...the red-headed woodpecker made such interesting sounds...

If the dogs didn't clean up their food the birds would eat it too. Especially Magpies Crows and Ravens. The dogs would just sit and watch them. It was rather funny. The cats weren't quite as forgiving as the dogs.

Old 01-27-2019, 07:51 PM

1,864 posts, read 672,434 times
Crows LOVE Kibble.

we had two broods who would wait on the wires until we filled the bowls.
they were respectful and waited their turn, and any "leftovers" were GONE.
we were wrong and thought that we were not feeding ours enough, so we refilled.
GONE. now we know. Kibble for crows goes over HERE. all other goes over THERE.
it is a race to the finish. maybe i should post it on YouTube.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:27 AM

1,348 posts, read 568,540 times
We have a couple of squirrels that hang out on our first floor kitchen balcony, if they see me in the kitchen, they raise up, leaning their front paws on the sliding door, and give me that, “C’mon Jean, we’re hungry over here”, look.
They love left over pizza, and prawn crackers from Chinese take-out, anything they leave, crows, pigeons, and magpies swoop down and make short work of, no blue jays or red headed woodpeckers in central London though.
A tad concerned for the birds well being, I had a word with a local veterinarian, she said, “Are you kidding, they’re omnivores, if you fainted in the back yard, they’d start on you!”

Old 01-28-2019, 06:25 AM

1,713 posts, read 3,189,739 times
Quote:

The Skywatch Bird Rescue organization in Castle Hayne (near Wilmington NC) takes donations of cat kibble for their rescued birds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or