U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-01-2019, 08:42 AM
 
Location: NW Nevada
13,616 posts, read 11,242,376 times
Reputation: 12645

Advertisements

While I find it unlikely a bear helped this child I'm inclined to think SOMETHING did. The dog theory is plausible. The temp extremes for three days and the shear vulnerability of the child to that alone makes me wonder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-02-2019, 06:02 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
14,019 posts, read 11,137,375 times
Reputation: 10365
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
While I find it unlikely a bear helped this child I'm inclined to think SOMETHING did. The dog theory is plausible. The temp extremes for three days and the shear vulnerability of the child to that alone makes me wonder.
At 20 F somebody that is not properly dressed will not last a night. With the exception if they would be smart enough to pile up leaves and climb underneath. Could a three year old figure that out? Maybe, but not very likely. The following day it rained and I am sure that was still a cold rain. Cold rain can cause hypothermia.

I wished that we had a follow up story with more details. This whole 'kid not dressed for the weather and survival' seems a little fishy. Especially when you consider that the child did not suffer any serious damage form exposure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2019, 07:09 AM
 
Location: NW Nevada
13,616 posts, read 11,242,376 times
Reputation: 12645
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
At 20 F somebody that is not properly dressed will not last a night. With the exception if they would be smart enough to pile up leaves and climb underneath. Could a three year old figure that out? Maybe, but not very likely. The following day it rained and I am sure that was still a cold rain. Cold rain can cause hypothermia.

I wished that we had a follow up story with more details. This whole 'kid not dressed for the weather and survival' seems a little fishy. Especially when you consider that the child did not suffer any serious damage form exposure.

I am survival trained and have been in tough situations. Three days out in the Winter months with nothing would likely see me in VERY bad shape. If not dead. At 3 yo that this child lived is nothing short of a miracle. He had some sort of intervention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2019, 09:57 AM
 
Location: The Driftless Area, WI
2,353 posts, read 824,526 times
Reputation: 4849
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
At 20 F somebody that is not properly dressed will not last a night. With the exception if they would be smart enough to pile up leaves and climb underneath. Could a three year old figure that out? Maybe, but not very likely. The following day it rained and I am sure that was still a cold rain. Cold rain can cause hypothermia.

I wished that we had a follow up story with more details. This whole 'kid not dressed for the weather and survival' seems a little fishy. Especially when you consider that the child did not suffer any serious damage form exposure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I am survival trained and have been in tough situations. Three days out in the Winter months with nothing would likely see me in VERY bad shape. If not dead. At 3 yo that this child lived is nothing short of a miracle. He had some sort of intervention.

Exactly.


While anything is possible, Most Plausible explanation: HOAX
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2019, 10:35 AM
 
8,127 posts, read 10,453,490 times
Reputation: 11993
This is not to be taken literally. His imagination, what he created in his mind, kept him alive. It was a bear for him, something that he fantasized protected him. Creative kid who lived to tell the story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2019, 11:08 AM
 
4,343 posts, read 1,857,002 times
Reputation: 12103
Because three year olds ALWAYS tell the exact truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2019, 11:09 AM
 
4,343 posts, read 1,857,002 times
Reputation: 12103
I am betting the three days were spent holed up in Motel 6 with a stack of video games and his non-custodial parent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2019, 03:07 PM
 
21,168 posts, read 27,186,251 times
Reputation: 14875
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Exactly.


While anything is possible, Most Plausible explanation: HOAX
You know, I've wondered the same thing, but I don't know what the end game would be. They did set up a "Go Fund Me," naturally, but it really hasn't made them much money. They also waited about an hour after noticing the kid was gone to contact LE, which to me is weird, especially given all the sinkholes in that area.

Local LE said the kid kept moving pretty much the entire time he was lost, and brush/trees would have provided some protection from the rain. It's possible that he found shelter in an animal den for part of the time, though I highly doubt there was a bear in the den as well.

It supposedly only reached below freezing for a few hours on the first night and warmed up pretty well during both days, so there's a chance what they're saying is what actually happened. It's more plausible than the bear story, but that's not saying much.

.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2019, 07:56 AM
 
11,260 posts, read 4,571,868 times
Reputation: 16432
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I am betting the three days were spent holed up in Motel 6 with a stack of video games and his non-custodial parent.
Is anyone suggesting after holding the boy at a motel for 2-3 days they placed the little boy out in the woods about a half mile from his house, scratched him up and then waited for a search party to find him?
No one really knows what happened to the boy while he was missing except the little boy and that's how it will remain. It will always be an unexplained mystery.

Last edited by marino760; 02-08-2019 at 08:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2019, 08:59 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
14,019 posts, read 11,137,375 times
Reputation: 10365
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Is anyone suggesting after holding the boy at a motel for 2-3 days they placed the little boy out in the woods about a half mile from his house, scratched him up and then waited for a search party to find him?
No one really knows what happened to the boy while he was missing except the little boy and that's how it will remain. It will always be an unexplained mystery.
We don't know; it is a mystery? We are very happy the child is alive. We are just skeptical about the story and how he survived. So we are looking/speculating about other possibilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top