U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 02:13 PM

5,215 posts, read 2,747,036 times

Advertisements

Baloo! Still around helping kids out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 05:24 PM

53,445 posts, read 52,514,744 times
I think somebody should check to see who in the area rented a bear costume recently.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:16 PM

22,306 posts, read 4,712,139 times
Think I said this already.

It doesn't matter if it wäs a bear, a boar, a raccoon, an opposum...

Or if it was a dream, a vision, a ghost.

What matters is that he was COMFORTED by whatever it was...which likely helped keep him alive.

Last edited by greatblueheron; 02-18-2019 at 06:33 PM..

Old 02-18-2019, 07:41 PM

53,445 posts, read 52,514,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Think I said this already.

It doesn't matter if it wäs a bear, a boar, a raccoon, an opposum...

Or if it was a dream, a vision, a ghost.

What matters is that he was COMFORTED by whatever it was...which likely helped keep him alive.
In that respect, no, it doesn't matter. But some of us just wanna KNOW what the real story is.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:06 PM

6,644 posts, read 6,184,750 times
I think it was a grandmotherly old Sasquatch.

Old 02-22-2019, 01:00 AM

8,133 posts, read 2,600,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
Maybe it was a big dog. What I don't understand is how he survived when it was so cold outside. Maybe the dog or whatever it was kept him warm too.

The boy survived and we should be happy. He also has a good story to tell. Why are so many people getting bent out of shape, trying to discredit a three year-old? The point the quoted poster makes is interesting. How did he survive all that cold, for three days?

Old 02-23-2019, 07:57 PM

21,237 posts, read 27,249,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
The boy survived and we should be happy. He also has a good story to tell. Why are so many people getting bent out of shape, trying to discredit a three year-old? The point the quoted poster makes is interesting. How did he survive all that cold, for three days?
No one's trying to discredit a three-year old. They're trying to discredit adults who claim this could possibly happen. I can only speak for myself, but it strikes a nerve because this kind of fairy tale/Disney movie thinking contributes to a non-reality based cultural narrative that does wild animals more harm than good.

Law enforcement in the area said the kid kept moving pretty much the entire time he was missing and that temps were well above freezing most of the time he was out there. The whole thing is odd, though.

Old 02-28-2019, 05:12 PM

6,926 posts, read 9,636,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
Maybe the animal was attracted to the cries of a little creature. Maybe the animal was in it's nursing stage and extra attentive to such things from whatever species. The first story I read about finding the boy was that a woman was walking her dog very nearby and heard what sounded like a child crying for it's mama. That woman called her...I believe her son. Who called the sheriff immediately and all the rescue people were there very quickly.

An adult human, a dog, all those sirens could have easily scared off any animal.
I do not know what bears are doing at this time of year in North Carolina, but here in New York they are hibernating in dens.

Perhaps the little boy did come across a hibernating bear in its den, which maybe in its half comatose sleeping state thought the boy was some kind of cub, or even some other harmless young animal, and allowed him to stay. Do bears eat in the winter? I am not sure, I believe they are mostly fasting until Spring. It sounds incredible and unlikely but it does explain how a 3 year old was able to survive freezing weather for several nights.

But while a hibernating bear in its den is maybe possible, I do not believe that a wandering bear came across the child in the woods and cared enough to save him. A wild dog or wolf, which are pack animals, maybe but not a bear.

Old Today, 05:30 AM

14,061 posts, read 11,188,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I do not know what bears are doing at this time of year in North Carolina, but here in New York they are hibernating in dens.

Perhaps the little boy did come across a hibernating bear in its den, which maybe in its half comatose sleeping state thought the boy was some kind of cub, or even some other harmless young animal, and allowed him to stay. Do bears eat in the winter? I am not sure, I believe they are mostly fasting until Spring. It sounds incredible and unlikely but it does explain how a 3 year old was able to survive freezing weather for several nights.

But while a hibernating bear in its den is maybe possible, I do not believe that a wandering bear came across the child in the woods and cared enough to save him. A wild dog or wolf, which are pack animals, maybe but not a bear.
There is not enough historic evidence to back up that kind of claim. That is why so many of us question. Bears are also not true hibernating mammals; a small kid climbing into 'bed' with them would wake them out of their 'torpor': The Truth About Bears and Hibernation. But this has been pointed out before. In a torpor they can wake very easily if disturbed.

I think what bothers some of us is that we do not like the idea of kids thinking that bear will protect them. If a young child runs up to a momma bear, with her cubs, it will not end good for the child. Disney World is Disney World and reality is a totally different ball game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or