U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 08:53 PM

5,697 posts, read 3,244,224 times

Advertisements

Oh no! You could have fooled me. The legs looked kind of like a rabbit's but the fur wasn't right. I definitely didn't get the scale right.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 09:17 PM

8,007 posts, read 2,541,823 times
I was going to guess it was a nutria, until someone mentioned you live in Alaska. See the video linked below:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/221215...-4JJV7z-EVt6d/

Old 02-04-2019, 11:35 PM

2,107 posts, read 1,588,108 times
That was fun! Can you snap a pic of another odd critter? LOL.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:18 AM

14,157 posts, read 10,372,695 times
Neither here nor there, but at first glance the "hairs" on the head reminded me of the "Beatle" vultures in the original Jungle Book movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
I 'm guessin' it's either Jack Benny's toupee or a Kiwi with a thyroid problem.
Lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
....you really have me wondering!

You live in Alaska if I remember right? Mmm.....the legs are what's catching me up...they look birdlike.... Will have to think awhile...a juvie crane?
At first I was way off base. I thought it was a tail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Fun guesses! If you don't want the answer yet, stop reading and don't scroll down.

It's a scrawny yearling bull moose attempting to reach the dry summer grass under my deck. My house walls extend a little beyond the foundation stem wall so there's a narrow strip of grass/forbs protected from snow. He's mowed all that down to the dirt. This strip joins the area covered by the deck, but there's a large enough opening for an adult moose to get it's head through once their antlers have fallen off. Most moose are not confident enough to try. This youngster got down on his knees, butt in the air, to wedge himself in farther. I was a bit concerned he'd get himself stuck. No way I'd want to deal with THAT!

This moose is affectionately known locally as "Space Cadet". Obviously orphaned too early, an odd small size for a yearling, very tolerant and sort of clueless in general. We all know him, but he's fairly safe in the neighborhood. No one is stupid enough to feed him thank goodness. He actually strolled into my garage while the door was open and watched me sort laundry.
Lmao. He sounds really cute.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:27 AM

5,392 posts, read 2,086,221 times
It was such an odd photo angle and non-typical position for the otherwise "majestic" moose I thought it would be a challenge to figure it out! Yes, he's a bit odd. Even the dogs leave him alone. They bark but it doesn't seem to bother him. He never charges. Normally you never want to let your dog get close to a moose.

I do have other wildlife photos but they aren't digital. Sorry!

Old 02-05-2019, 06:50 AM

21,441 posts, read 4,485,197 times
How lucky you are....what I'd give to have a juvenile moose around...

Thanks for the photo!

Old 02-05-2019, 10:24 AM

2,275 posts, read 803,750 times
Quote:

He actually strolled into my garage while the door was open and watched me sort laundry.

Maybe he was looking for that one, odd lost sock too?

The photo was confusing: it looked like hair, not feathers, but the scrawny leg looked avian. Many good guesses followed.

Thanks for the amusement!

Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM

345 posts, read 175,077 times
Quote:
He actually strolled into my garage while the door was open and watched me sort laundry.

Great photo and puzzler! Maybe by the time he grows antlers you can train him to stand still so you can hang laundry on them?

Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM

5,392 posts, read 2,086,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote lite View Post
Great photo and puzzler! Maybe by the time he grows antlers you can train him to stand still so you can hang laundry on them?
But, but, but every time he puts his head down to eat he'll dump my clean laundry all over the yard. Thanks but no thanks. My clotheslines are fairly predictable...they tend to stay in one spot. So is that dusty, unused exercise bike.

Old Yesterday, 04:43 PM

345 posts, read 175,077 times
Quote:
But, but, but every time he puts his head down to eat he'll dump my clean laundry all over the yard. Thanks but no thanks. My clotheslines are fairly predictable...they tend to stay in one spot. So is that dusty, unused exercise bike.
Aww, think positively. Maybe you can dangle a carrot in front of his nose and have him follow you as you jog up and down the road. That way you get your exercise as the clothes dry. When you get home, drop the carrot in the laundry basket and the now-dry clothes will fall right in as he dips his head. Win-win!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature