U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-20-2019, 06:07 PM
 
11,667 posts, read 17,163,749 times
Reputation: 5787

Advertisements

Just buy a Havahart and trap the critter. If you seal the hole while he is in the attic, it should actually be easier to trap him as he will be hungry.

Every now and then the squirrel population in my yard hits critical mass and I trap and relocate a few to keep things under control. No big deal. Drive them a few miles away to the state park and let them go.

Seal the hole. If a squirrel can get in then so can a rat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-20-2019, 07:35 PM
 
1,988 posts, read 721,664 times
Reputation: 3857
thank you for bringing your relocated vermin to our neighborhood.
just like people who "drop off" unwanted puppies on our road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2019, 07:39 PM
 
Location: Central IL
14,327 posts, read 7,821,376 times
Reputation: 33432
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
thank you for bringing your relocated vermin to our neighborhood.
just like people who "drop off" unwanted puppies on our road.
Luckily I don't live anywhere near you.

If I WERE going to relocate him I'd take him out to the boonies. Of course if you're silly enough to think that there are no squirrels, rabbits, possums, or rats in your pristine neighborhood I'd say it's pretty likely you're mistaken and one more won't make a bit of difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2019, 08:07 PM
 
1,335 posts, read 1,488,702 times
Reputation: 1809
Make some noise in the attic. A radio might work and then when he is for certain outside of the house patch the roof. I wouldn't worry about putting up housing for him. I would make it more difficult to eat out of the feeder. If they are encouraged, there will be a 100 of them hanging around. They can really do some damage. We used to hunt and eat them when I was a kid. Just fried them in a skillet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2019, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
14,041 posts, read 11,169,320 times
Reputation: 10370
While he is in your attic he is defecating and urinating. I know you love your squirrel; but will you love him as your ceiling gets brown spots from his urine? There is also the potential that he might chew through your Romex. Of course he could get electrocuted as he then starts your house on fire - but you will not have to worry about him in the attic anymore. Of course them both of you might not have a house to live in anymore! Keep in mind that squirrels, rats, mice are nibblers or gnawers the whole in the side of your house might not be their only target.

About a month ago I had one that shorted out my electricity at my transformer. Fortunately he learned his lesson and will never do that again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2019, 01:36 PM
Status: "Spring is coming..." (set 1 day ago)
 
8,159 posts, read 10,472,280 times
Reputation: 12037
He's lucky he's got you watching out for his safety!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2019, 01:43 PM
 
Location: Caverns measureless to man...
6,941 posts, read 4,406,355 times
Reputation: 15376
I hate to say it, but you're not doing it any favors by re-homing it. It will almost certainly die wherever you take it. In this study, only 1 of 38 adult squirrels was still alive and well in the relocation area 3 months after translocation -

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...grey_squirrels

No matter where you move it, there are already other squirrels living there, and they're fiercely territorial. All the best shelter is already occupied, new squirrels won't know where to go to avoid predators, and they'll have to fight constantly for food. They often die just from the stress of being dumped out into a totally strange place. Might be more humane just to kill it, or at the very least, completely squirrelproof your house so that he isn't plaguing you anymore. That's going to be difficult, though, because they're the most stubborn damned things on Earth. As far as he's concerned, that attic is now his attic, and he'll move heaven and earth to keep getting back in there.

Good luck. I've had a lot of squirrel wars, and I hate the damned things. They're very tough to deal with.

Oh - and if you do relocate him, try to get him to the other side of at least one broad river. Put at least 8 to 10 miles and at least one healthy river between you and him, and it'll probably be the last you see of him one way or the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2019, 01:51 PM
 
Location: Central IL
14,327 posts, read 7,821,376 times
Reputation: 33432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
I hate to say it, but you're not doing it any favors by re-homing it. It will almost certainly die wherever you take it. In this study, only 1 of 38 adult squirrels was still alive and well in the relocation area 3 months after translocation -

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...grey_squirrels

No matter where you move it, there are already other squirrels living there, and they're fiercely territorial. All the best shelter is already occupied, new squirrels won't know where to go to avoid predators, and they'll have to fight constantly for food. They often die just from the stress of being dumped out into a totally strange place. Might be more humane just to kill it, or at the very least, completely squirrelproof your house so that he isn't plaguing you anymore. That's going to be difficult, though, because they're the most stubborn damned things on Earth. As far as he's concerned, that attic is now his attic, and he'll move heaven and earth to keep getting back in there.

Good luck. I've had a lot of squirrel wars, and I hate the damned things. They're very tough to deal with.

Oh - and if you do relocate him, try to get him to the other side of at least one broad river. Put at least 8 to 10 miles and at least one healthy river between you and him, and it'll probably be the last you see of him one way or the other.
I really don't want to re-locate him. What I want is to trap him when he comes into the attic space and quickly temporarily close up the space so he can't get back in. Then I'll let him loose back in the yard. He's actually an older squirrel and seems to have some physical issues so I may at least try to put up a squirrel house in one of my trees. Of course I can't lead him there but at least there'd be something available in my yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2019, 03:42 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
14,041 posts, read 11,169,320 times
Reputation: 10370
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I really don't want to re-locate him. What I want is to trap him when he comes into the attic space and quickly temporarily close up the space so he can't get back in. Then I'll let him loose back in the yard. He's actually an older squirrel and seems to have some physical issues so I may at least try to put up a squirrel house in one of my trees. Of course I can't lead him there but at least there'd be something available in my yard.
You do realize that he might have been responsible for the hole in your house. They love to gnaw and tear many wooden birdhouses apart. If he is responsible, and you manage to close the one hole, he could simply make another one.

They do have a relatively short life span of about 6 years for a squirrel that survives to adulthood. My feeling is, that in your quest to be kind to your furry friend, you are taking a unnecessary risks with your own health and safety - that is not mentioning the financial risk. A good Fall hawk migration might be your only salvation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2019, 03:57 PM
 
Location: Central IL
14,327 posts, read 7,821,376 times
Reputation: 33432
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
You do realize that he might have been responsible for the hole in your house. They love to gnaw and tear many wooden birdhouses apart. If he is responsible, and you manage to close the one hole, he could simply make another one.

They do have a relatively short life span of about 6 years for a squirrel that survives to adulthood. My feeling is, that in your quest to be kind to your furry friend, you are taking a unnecessary risks with your own health and safety - that is not mentioning the financial risk. A good Fall hawk migration might be your only salvation.
I know...I'm way too attached for my own good but I don't see much difference in the odds of a new or different squirrel doing damage versus this one doing some new damage.

I have a Cooper's hawk that visits every once in awhile but he seems to go after rabbits rather than the smaller squirrels so he's not too bright.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top