U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 06:43 PM

2,869 posts, read 1,289,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
I know we had holes plugged up several times. They just chewed new ones. Chewed the wiring to our outdoor flood lights. Several of them. Chewed the wiring harness in my husbands truck. Chewed the wiring in a Sebring (this one could not be repaired it was ruined). Turned my husbands papers stored in the attic into nesting material. Ate all the birdseed.

Yes, they're cute but enough is enough.
Their teeth grow at a phenomenal rate and never stop. They have to chew and they love metal and wiring especially.
We had one that would sit and chew the corners off of the bricks on our house. I guess he was filing his teeth with it. Although I read they also like to get salt out of the mortar.

This is what happens when they can't chew thru stuff (and other reasons):

The Useless Creatures: A Tusked Squirrel
I had a spot where two levels of roof meet that wasn't constructed properly by the builder, and squirrels were getting in. I bought a sheet of aluminum and put it in place; the squirrels promptly chewed right through it. So I got a piece of stainless steel from Home Depot. They couldn't get through that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 07:35 PM

14,327 posts, read 7,821,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
I know we had holes plugged up several times. They just chewed new ones. Chewed the wiring to our outdoor flood lights. Several of them. Chewed the wiring harness in my husbands truck. Chewed the wiring in a Sebring (this one could not be repaired it was ruined). Turned my husbands papers stored in the attic into nesting material. Ate all the birdseed.

Yes, they're cute but enough is enough.
Their teeth grow at a phenomenal rate and never stop. They have to chew and they love metal and wiring especially.
We had one that would sit and chew the corners off of the bricks on our house. I guess he was filing his teeth with it. Although I read they also like to get salt out of the mortar.

This is what happens when they can't chew thru stuff (and other reasons):

The Useless Creatures: A Tusked Squirrel
Interesting you mention their growing teeth...I have a deer skull with antlers that I keep out on my deck for them to wear their incisors down. Many days at least one squirrel will give it a good chew.

Old Yesterday, 01:10 PM

608 posts, read 1,146,419 times
Call an exterminator (or handy man) to put a one way "mesh" over the hole. This will allow Rocket J Squirrel to get out of the attic, but not back in. Get a havahart trap and cage the offender and relocate him. After a few days, have the "mesh" removed and the hole closed.

Another way is to stuff a plastic bag into the hole after you have trapped "Rocky" and see if the bag gets moved - that would indicate the Rocky has relatives still there.

Then trim the tree branches so that there is no way for the varmints to get in by potentially making another hole.

When you own a home, you don't need a hobby.

Old Yesterday, 08:26 PM

14,327 posts, read 7,821,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Interesting you mention their growing teeth...I have a deer skull with antlers that I keep out on my deck for them to wear their incisors down. Many days at least one squirrel will give it a good chew.
Can't resist:
Relocate squirrel from attic-thumbnail-getting-good-chew-09302018-2.jpg

Old Today, 01:54 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,472,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Can't resist:
Attachment 208516
They are naughty...but cute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or