U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:32 AM

3,019 posts, read 724,730 times

Advertisements

Interestingly, you rarely see lightning in southern California either. I always missed a good thunderstorm living there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:05 AM

6,177 posts, read 7,413,345 times
They are here in NC. Probably need a little humidity for the insect life cycle. You may not know it but the genes for the light reaction are sometimes spliced into DNA of test organisms to allow scientists to follow how certain important genes work. Fascinating. Look up Luciferin and luciferase

Old Yesterday, 09:54 AM

25,744 posts, read 61,258,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

I I could have just sat there and watched them all night but there were clouds of mosquitoes there too and they finally drove me indoors!
I actually did that once, not all night but for about four hours. We have DEET for the mosquitoes and the mosquitoes are mostly active from about 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. and for about an hour in the morning. Here, in the summer it does not get dark until about 9. Mosquitoes are bad at dusk, but by dark that have thinned out quite a lot.

If you do not like DEET on you, another option is get two of those clip on fan things made by Off. Put on on each side of you. They work really well when it is still (no wind).

Old Yesterday, 10:56 AM

3,088 posts, read 1,330,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Interestingly, you rarely see lightning in southern California either. I always missed a good thunderstorm living there.
Yes, that's where I grew up. Since someone said they are not in the Western U.S., I am guessing it is a humidity thing. Ugh, it's humid here, well, half the year.

I miss thunderstorms too. It only rains softly at night---no drama at all, LOL.

I shined my flashlight down on one, and yeah, what a humble little brown beetle body. I had pictured a dragonfly sort of creature.

Old Yesterday, 11:01 AM

3,088 posts, read 1,330,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Firefly Enemy #1 & #2-- loss of habitat and light pollution
https://www.firefly.org/why-are-fire...appearing.html
Oh, sad article! There is not much development where we are, but our complex has security lights so we never saw the fireflies until the power went out. We do have rotting driftwood but not much standing water (we're on the ocean) so that's interesting.

I hate the light pollution/security trade-off.

Old Yesterday, 11:06 AM

5,276 posts, read 1,859,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We have them in Michigan. Some years they are few and you may see only thousands of them. Other years they are everywhere, millions i all likelihood. They sometimes make a better show than fireworks.

One thing interesting I noted about them is they are usually pretty low - in the 2' to 10' high range. But some years they are all the way up in the tops of the trees 80'+ I do not know why they are low some years and all over including way up high other years, but it seems to remain consistent through the entire year. Either they will be only low for the entire year, or they will be low and way up high for the entire year.

IN any event we love them. The heavy years are amazing where we live. The entire forest is filled with fairy lights.

I live in Missouri. One night, I was out in my backyard, and noticed that one of our trees looked like it had white lights in it. It was the lightning bugs.

Just last summer, I was looking up in the night sky, and noticed something that I thought was WAY WAY WAY up high, moving around sporadically. I thought "Huh, am I looking at a UFO? And then the 'light' moved in front of a tree branch, and I realized the light was much much closer to home. LOL It was a lightening bug, up high...but not like in space. LOL

Old Yesterday, 11:09 AM

25,744 posts, read 61,258,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

I I could have just sat there and watched them all night but there were clouds of mosquitoes there too and they finally drove me indoors!
I actually did that once, not all night but for about four hours. We have DEET for the mosquitoes and the mosquitoes are mostly active from about 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. and for about an hour in the morning. Here, in the summer it does not get dark until about 9. Mosquitoes are bad at dusk, but by dark that have thinned out quite a lot.

If you do not like DEET on you, another option is get two of those clip on fan things made by Off. Put on on each side of you. They work really well when it is still (no wind).

Old Yesterday, 01:51 PM

22,244 posts, read 16,391,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Congrats on your first magical experience with fireflies OP.
Here in TN I have a very tall tree in the field across from my home, near a creek. Every May that tree sparkles at night with hundreds of fireflies. Fairy lights is a very apt description!
Absolutely. They're everywhere here. I don't know if I ever saw one living in Iowa.

Old Yesterday, 01:58 PM

1,154 posts, read 283,598 times
I hope your security lights are angled properly and only illuminate the property!
Light pollution is a major problem for animals - from turtles to moths to nocturnal birds. Its a scourge we all need to minimize.

The Philippines has some amazing fire flies (or some bugs with luciferase) which all sit in a tree and flash synchronously. Its an amazing sight.

Old Yesterday, 02:04 PM

8,065 posts, read 5,015,897 times
Growing up in South Carolina, fireflies were everywhere. we hardly see them anymore these days, you will have to go deep into the country side to see them. We also called them lighting bugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature