Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 05:33 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,119,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Years ago, I went into the spare bedroom to sleep...without turning on the light.

Pulled the covers back and slid in....only to have my feet touch something creepy. Lights on, it was about 100 of the bugs in my bed...all in a pile.
Fortunately I never had a problem with a major infestation in our bedrooms. Just a few would get that far. My problem with them was just inside our garage doors. I have an electric leaf blower and I have used that to give them a push in the right direction. The leaf blower can send the swarm flying out the open garage doors in a hurry. Of course they probably just fly to the neighbors that have not thought of using a leaf blower!

Electric leaf blowers are cheap. They do not produce fumes inside the house and that is why I used one instead of my gas/oil 2-cycle blowers. I have also used the blowers on our screened in porch to send pest scrambling out our doors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 06:42 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,839,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
a nightmare!

It was definitely a "yuck" moment! And the sound...their hard little shells rubbing against each other....once I stirred them up.

Old 03-02-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Fortunately I never had a problem with a major infestation in our bedrooms. Just a few would get that far. My problem with them was just inside our garage doors. I have an electric leaf blower and I have used that to give them a push in the right direction. The leaf blower can send the swarm flying out the open garage doors in a hurry. Of course they probably just fly to the neighbors that have not thought of using a leaf blower!

Electric leaf blowers are cheap. They do not produce fumes inside the house and that is why I used one instead of my gas/oil 2-cycle blowers. I have also used the blowers on our screened in porch to send pest scrambling out our doors.

I have an electric blower. Right now I don't have enough of them to bother with, but next week it's to be in the teens... so I might become an Asian ladybug hotel!

Old 03-02-2019, 09:09 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,773,425 times
We had a house with a big white wall, that the Asian ladybugs loved. We would have to do "ladybug patrol" with the central vac, vacuuming up thousands of them, on sunny days. No smell. No problem. Just a lot of vacuuming.

Old 03-03-2019, 10:50 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,073,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
A long term solution is to plant trees with a south or SW facing orientation to give the lady beetles somewhere to winter over so they will not be as attracted to coming indoors.
I live on the edge of a south-facing tree-line. There are hundreds of trees they could use...but I still get tons of Lady Bugs in the house. It's no big deal, you kind of get used to them after a while. I only get a little irked when one flies into my coffee...then I just scoop it out and move on.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:15 AM

8,753 posts, read 5,040,045 times
I can think of a lot worse insects, to have in the house.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:16 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,119,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
I can think of a lot worse insects, to have in the house.
Stink bugs?
In my house they alternate with the asian beetles, some weeks I will be overrun by both at the same time. One or the other leaves brown drips on my walls, yuck.
They tend to favor the walls and windows of one room that faces southwest and gets a lot of sun. I think if I could come up with a surefire remedy for the little buggers I'd get rich quick!

Still I'd rather have those pest than the creepy crawly types...

Old 03-04-2019, 09:44 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,185,409 times
My mom has had great luck using a mixture of the Dawn, blue Dawn dish soap mixed with water in a spray bottle for box elder bugs. Maybe it could work with stink bugs?

Old 03-04-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Stink bugs?
In my house they alternate with the asian beetles, some weeks I will be overrun by both at the same time. One or the other leaves brown drips on my walls, yuck.
They tend to favor the walls and windows of one room that faces southwest and gets a lot of sun. I think if I could come up with a surefire remedy for the little buggers I'd get rich quick!

Still I'd rather have those pest than the creepy crawly types...

Me too....stink bugs I just get singly, not that many.

Old 03-04-2019, 10:12 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,119,732 times
The stink bugs like to hide in my drapes, I've taken to shaking them at least once a week to dislodge all the little hiders, ugh. I live across from a big field with a creek and I think that probably makes the problem worse because I find them by the dozens. It's like they must spread the word that my house is nice and warm and has cozy drapes to get comfortable in.
I'm amazed that the asian beetles bite, they look so cute and innocent. :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature