Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 11:40 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times

Advertisements

They are all over the kitchen, some in the bedroom, one on my glasses right now, as I'm trying to see the screen.

Glad they don't carry diseases but wish I'd stop discovering them IN my cabinets...found one in the refrigerator!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 12:04 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
They aren't lady bugs - they are asian lady beetles. Annoying as heck, they bite, they are everywhere! Here's just a few differences: lady bugs "when it gets cold out they seek shelter outdoors. Asian lady beetles hunt garden pests, too, but that’s where the similarities end.

Asian lady beetles are considered a true pest. Unlike ladybugs, Asian lady beetles will gather in large groups, especially around warm, reflective surfaces like windows. Asian lady beetles “bite” by scraping the skin they land on, and leave a yellow, foul-smelling liquid on surfaces where they gather. Worst of all, Asian lady beetles will attempt to enter your home when they look for overwintering shelters. Basically, think of Asian lady beetles as ladybugs’ evil twins. Telling them apart is important because even if you’re cool with ladybugs, you don’t want Asian lady beetles hanging around. https://www.plunketts.net/blog/ladyb...-lady-beetles/

Old 03-02-2019, 12:15 PM

130,326 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Oh no!! I hope you can get of them quickly.

Old 03-02-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
They aren't lady bugs - they are asian lady beetles. Annoying as heck, they bite, they are everywhere! Here's just a few differences: lady bugs "when it gets cold out they seek shelter outdoors. Asian lady beetles hunt garden pests, too, but that’s where the similarities end.

Asian lady beetles are considered a true pest. Unlike ladybugs, Asian lady beetles will gather in large groups, especially around warm, reflective surfaces like windows. Asian lady beetles “bite” by scraping the skin they land on, and leave a yellow, foul-smelling liquid on surfaces where they gather. Worst of all, Asian lady beetles will attempt to enter your home when they look for overwintering shelters. Basically, think of Asian lady beetles as ladybugs’ evil twins. Telling them apart is important because even if you’re cool with ladybugs, you don’t want Asian lady beetles hanging around. https://www.plunketts.net/blog/ladyb...-lady-beetles/

Yes, these have the M marking on the head. I've never been bitten....not much I can do, don't want to kill them. There aren't hundreds here, more like 40 or so...

Thanks

Old 03-02-2019, 01:36 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,190,478 times
Be careful of vacuuming them up. My sister vacuumed a bunch up, some dead some probably alive, not sure. But they stink and she had a hard time ridding her vacuum of the smell, had to replace all filters. She didn't empty after she vacuumed but even if she did they would have still left a smell

Old 03-02-2019, 03:02 PM

8,760 posts, read 5,055,756 times
They also stain, if you squish them. They are also more attracted to white homes

Old 03-02-2019, 03:29 PM

I have a dark green home but a white kitchen...

Old 03-02-2019, 04:44 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,897,496 times
We had a real problem with them when we lived in Tennessee. We had just moved into a rental home and started to see them everywhere. At first we thought they were just ladybugs but they look quite different: ladybugs generally have fewer spots, are a more brilliant red color while Asian lady beetles can vary in color from dark yellow to red and any color in between, have a shorter 'snout' and are more oval shaped while Asian lady beetles are longer bodied. We figured out for sure they were not ladybugs when an orange one with tons of spots landed on me and I was admiring the "cool-looking lady bug" and the little SOB bit me, lol.

They often like to congregate on window frames or other places that get sunlight. If you can seal off these places, this will go a long way in helping to keep them out. We sealed around our windows & doorwall and this cut down on our ladybeetle issue quite a bit. Also keep in mind that they like to overwinter in warm places like your attic and even behind shingles/shutters if your house has them. We found lady beetles in our attic and in between the ceiling fan mount and the ceiling so they are pretty creative at finding places to pack in. They are never found singly or at least in our experience they weren't; where there is one there is going to be at least 5-10 others.

They do bite and smell bad when they are inside but they are actually beneficial when they are outside by eating pests much like their ladybug cousins so they do have some redeeming qualities

You can also trap them using a "light trap" which uses a black light and a funnel; directions for making one can be found online or you can buy them pre-made. Pesticides are not that effective on them per others who have used them. A long term solution is to plant trees with a south or SW facing orientation to give the lady beetles somewhere to winter over so they will not be as attracted to coming indoors.

Good luck with your lady beetle issue and hope that some of this has helped.

Old 03-02-2019, 05:10 PM

Years ago, I went into the spare bedroom to sleep...without turning on the light.

Pulled the covers back and slid in....only to have my feet touch something creepy. Lights on, it was about 100 of the bugs in my bed...all in a pile.

Old 03-02-2019, 05:13 PM

130,326 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Years ago, I went into the spare bedroom to sleep...without turning on the light.

Pulled the covers back and slid in....only to have my feet touch something creepy. Lights on, it was about 100 of the bugs in my bed...all in a pile.
a nightmare!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature