U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 04:32 AM

11,441 posts, read 4,684,794 times

Advertisements

I saw this and am sharing. Rumors of these whales have been around and told by fishermen off the coast of Chile but scientists have finally seen them and are now performing DNA tests. They obviously look different. They are slightly smaller, different shaped head and dorsal fin and most noticeably have a very small eye patch.
No confirmation yet they are a separate species but it's looking that way.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 05:44 AM

6,891 posts, read 3,875,875 times
I’m not surprised. There’s been quite a bit of speculation that “regular” killer whales are more than one species which we’ve lumped together based on their similar appearance. This visually different type is just more proof that we have a lot left to learn about orcas!

Old 03-11-2019, 03:45 AM

2,570 posts, read 894,818 times
Another new species!--obviously proof of Creationism.

We seem to be finding new ones faster than we're losing old ones. So much for The Sixth Extinction.

Now that we have the ability to genotype, we're finding we have made many mistakes in lumping or separating taxonomic groups based on traditional morphologic criteria.....I've always wondered if anthropologist in the distant future will be calling today's Pigmies and Watusis different species based on skeletal fossils?

Old 03-12-2019, 09:04 PM

6,743 posts, read 6,241,339 times
We actually know quite a bit about orcas and their differences:

https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/species/killer-whale

"....... There are three main types of killer whales: Resident, Transient, and Offshore. Each ecotype differs in appearance, diet, habitat, genetics, and behavior. While all three types share at least part of their habitats, they are not known to interbreed with each other....."

I'm thinking this new pod that's been spotted is a home ranging South American Resident group rather like North America's Pacific North West Resident group that makes its home range between California and Alaska. They look very different from the Transients and the Offshores.

There's more information about the differences at the above link.

Old 03-13-2019, 12:51 AM

8 posts, read 716 times
I read that these killer whales feed on fish, not marine mammals.

Old 03-13-2019, 02:40 AM

4,529 posts, read 2,074,962 times
I think thatís so interesting! I wonder how long the fishermen have been seeing them? We donít know squat yet about this world; so much left to learn.

Old 03-17-2019, 07:02 PM

8,297 posts, read 2,658,121 times
Some of the different populations of orcas feed on fish and some on marine mammals. But is this a culturally developed behavior or is it genetic? It might begin as a cultural adaptation and eventually lead to differences that are found in their DNA. Separating the two elements is often difficult and factions in science may waiver back and forth, with no final conclusion ever coming that everyone accepts.

Old 03-19-2019, 01:28 AM

6,743 posts, read 6,241,339 times
Resident orcas only feed on local fish, the northern hemisphere residents specialize in salmon because of the high oil content of salmon. If this newly found pod of South American orcas feed on fish then that may back up my guess that they would likely be resident orcas.

Offshore orcas are very deep divers who feed on sharks, sharks also having a very high oil content.

Transient orcas are where the misnomer "killer whale" comes from (orcas are actually the largest of dolphins, they aren't whales). Transient orcas feed on sea mammals - seals, sea lions, porpoises, dolphins, small species of whales. They will also prey on the calves or juveniles of larger species such as grey whales and humpback whales for the youngsters' tongues only.

Last edited by Zoisite; 03-19-2019 at 01:39 AM..

Old 03-19-2019, 06:03 PM

8,297 posts, read 2,658,121 times
In the area around Southern Alaska, the orcas have been preying more heavily in recent years on sea otters, due to a reduction in seal populations.

Old 03-19-2019, 06:59 PM

13,749 posts, read 11,324,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I think thatís so interesting! I wonder how long the fishermen have been seeing them? We donít know squat yet about this world; so much left to learn.

Ohhhh what mysteries the oceans hold we haven't even scratched. They have only just recently proved the existence of the giant squid. What else is in the depths? Our imaginations can't even cover it methinks. It's tons of fun to speculate though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or