U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 09:43 AM

17,898 posts, read 22,949,460 times

Advertisements

with animals ...its like taking your dog to a local park.... upon approaching another dog its the non verbal communications and cues they pick up on......as a previous poster wrote.....how aggressive the other dog is...by size/breed...by actions...eye contact tails.... if male or female ...etc.

there are some unwritten rules in the animal kingdom..... ever watch how one pride of lions get along with other lions????? not very well...

I well domesticated behaved dog.....will pick up on tone of voice more than the word if they don't understand it....also if they think you might be a threat to its masters
- the dog will watch your cues... too....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2019, 10:41 AM

4,907 posts, read 2,482,689 times
Italian dogs sit up and gesticulate with their front paws a lot, didn’t you know?

Old 03-17-2019, 04:14 PM

29,953 posts, read 18,957,117 times
Dogs primarily communicate with body language that they learn from the mother and siblings.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 03-17-2019, 05:31 PM

528 posts, read 226,227 times
No. Wife and I was at the zoo a while back. The monkeys were chatting up a storm. I asked her what they were talking about and she said she had no clue.

Old 03-17-2019, 06:31 PM

5,845 posts, read 2,288,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Dogs primarily communicate with body language that they learn from the mother and siblings.
Non-verbal communication tends to mean more to many animals than vocalizing. Much of it is learned behavior but not all of it. If a species is wide ranging variation is bound to creep in. If there's too much of a difference those animals won't successfully breed and produce young to carry on that trait, so there's a limit to effective language. Its a totally different thing that a dog understands what a human has taught it in one language but not another. That isn't dog communication, its something it has learned from the other beings it happens to live with.

Vocalizations mean more to birds than many species, but not all of them. Birds that tend to occupy heavily forested habitats announce territory, give alarms, and announce breeding condition vocally more than birds that occupy open habitats for obvious reasons. Sound carries when the singer isn't visible. There are dialects in many widespread bird species. Song sparrows are a good example. There are dozens if not more dialects spread across the continental US alone. Dialects can be visual as well as verbal too. Think about the widespread panther chameleons of Madagascar...their color variation is huge as is their ability to shift their color when displaying. They may all posture much the same to intimidate, but the color shift could be misunderstood between remoter locales.

Old 03-17-2019, 08:10 PM

13,676 posts, read 11,307,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjustin2 View Post
Example a dog in the US meets a dog in say Europe. Or a cat in Australia meets another cat in Brazil.

Also i assume animals of different species can't speak to one another by language? Example a dog and a cat or a dog and a fox?

LOL, well, THAT'S an original question. I don't think that a Chinese dog is going to sniff butt differently than an American one and I'm pretty sure different vocalizations like growling with dogs, hissing with cats etc don't know any international language barriers.

Old Yesterday, 02:41 AM

4,128 posts, read 4,739,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
I think it's more likely we're hearing the dogs "say" what we're expecting to hear, rather than the dogs have learned to talk.

https://hearingthevoice.org/2018/06/...-what-we-hear/

i used to think this until my cat learned to say "out". she doesn't say it much recently but for a while after my brother taught her, she would come in the kitchen and says "aaaaaawwwwt" if she wanted us to open the door. i think maybe we didn't reinforce it enough because now she says that along with other sounds. she's unusually intelligent for a cat. she uses mirrors to fix herself.

Old Yesterday, 06:51 AM

1,965 posts, read 403,459 times
I can tell when I go to the East side of town because all the dogs are barking in Spanish!

My teachers used to say there are no dumb questions...CD has me seriously doubting that though!

Old Yesterday, 09:28 AM

12,030 posts, read 14,555,261 times
I can’t tell if our cat does or not, or if cats I’ve seen in other countries do or not. But, cats
around the world seem to have the same “cat-titude” if you know what I mean!

Old Yesterday, 09:32 AM

1,965 posts, read 403,459 times
Here you go OP

https://birdgei.com/2015/11/24/woof-...ent-languages/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or