Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 12:56 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,894,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
Police departments train their German Shepherds in German...
That's because most police departments get their dogs from Germany. The ones who don't, have their dogs trained by people who train dogs for Schuzhund and those people use German commands. I don't know why because there really isn't any reason to. You can tell a dog "down" as easily as say "platz". Half the handlers mispronounce the German commands anyway from what I can tell watching Live PD.

A good working dog is going to ignore a command from anyone except his handler anyway. So if a dog's been trained in English and a criminal is telling the dog to stop or something, the dog won't pay attention. Besides, those dogs love chasing and nailing someone. No way they're going to stop for some punk who shaking in his shoes squeaking out commands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddit Bot View Post
Interesting question.
At our old place, we backed up to a small nature reserve with a body of water that attracted lots of bird species and little critters. We would have hawks circling depending on the time of year. I observed that, several seconds before I saw a hawk, the crows would caw in a very particular way (think Morse code). Whenever they cawed like that, the songbirds would retreat to the trees and stop singing; the squirrels also seemed to take heed and disappear. It seemed like they all understood the crows' chirping as a warning sign.

My theory is that animals of different species do understand vocalizations of "Danger!"
I used to feed the birds where I lived and one year a stray cat showed up. There was a robin who came back every year to have a nest and when the cat would wander over to the fence, the robin would perch on it and give sharp cries. I used to come out and chase the cat away, at which point the robin would go back to her nest until the next time the cat came around. I got trained by the robin real well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddit Bot View Post
On that note, I've found that no cat can resist coming to you when you make a "Tsh tsh" sound. Well, no American or Canadian cat that I've met, that is.
I'll have to try that one. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 01:21 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,761,312 times
I think to a large extent yes. From what I've seen dogs imported from other countries get along fine with dogs that were born and raised in America. They seem to be able to immediately communicate effectively. If the dogs didn't like each other, that was communicated pretty quickly too.

Old 03-19-2019, 05:28 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,245,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjustin2 View Post
Example a dog in the US meets a dog in say Europe. Or a cat in Australia meets another cat in Brazil.

Also i assume animals of different species can't speak to one another by language? Example a dog and a cat or a dog and a fox?
If a tree falls in the forest and hits you on the head, will you not make any more of these posts?

SS

Old 03-19-2019, 05:30 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
I think to a large extent yes. From what I've seen dogs imported from other countries get along fine with dogs that were born and raised in America. They seem to be able to immediately communicate effectively. If the dogs didn't like each other, that was communicated pretty quickly too.

When dealing with other animals I the same species animals have an instinctive body language and vocalization set. For example, dogs will adopt a dominant or submissive posture and this is the same through all canines no matter where they come from. Understanding of these postures is just bred into them. Dominance and submission, play and aggression etc.

The same rules apply to cats. Response to spoken language of humans will of course depend on what language an animal has been trained in. Dogs are conditioned to respond to the tonal qualities of a spoken command so a command given in English to a dog trained in German will not get a response.

As another poster said though a working animal will not respond to anyone but their handler and their individual tonal qualities in whatever language. Or they shouldn't anyway.

Old 03-19-2019, 06:11 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,058,481 times
Quote:
Example a dog in the US meets a dog in say Europe. Or a cat in Australia meets another cat in Brazil.

Also i assume animals of different species can't speak to one another by language? Example a dog and a cat or a dog and a fox?
Well in France, every little breeze seems to whisper Louise, birds in the trees seem to twitter Louise.

There's supposedly a Rockin Robin that lives on Jaybird Street.

English cats use the right (correct) side of the litter box...

So yes, ericjustin2, it's a thing!...

Old 03-20-2019, 01:34 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,894,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post

As another poster said though a working animal will not respond to anyone but their handler and their individual tonal qualities in whatever language. Or they shouldn't anyway.
My dog's life mission was to not even listen to me, his handler. It was a lead cinch bet he wouldn't listen to anyone else!

Old 03-25-2019, 04:27 AM

7,256 posts, read 5,131,727 times
A little background to what I'm about to relate: Rich Little is a great impressionist. If he does Jack Benny or Marlon Brando, say, you'd swear it was Jack or Marlon talking. But a "voice print" on an oscilloscope of each of them looks entirely different when it's the real guy vs Rich Little....

I've noticed that when we're lounging around watching TV, my lazy dogs will ignore the sound of a dog barking or a wolf howling when it's some made-for-TV movie with dubbed in sound effects (probably made by an actor) vs a nature documentary type show where it's a recording of the real animal. Then my dogs perk up immediately and start snooping around the TV. They can tell the difference.

Old 03-25-2019, 06:57 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I have been perplexed for years why So. American dogs don't chase chickens. Both are out on the streets but seem to ignore each other. Did the Latino dogs just not get the memo about harassing chickens? I am so grateful for this. In the U.S., dogs kill chickens for sport.

My little Banty hen had 13 distinct vocalizations she shared with me, amazing. Each with a specific meaning.
One of our mastiffs used to follow our chicken around and just lay near where they were grazing to protect them. She drove off any coyotes fixes, eagles etc. Otherwise she would simply lay near them, and when the moved she would get up and lay down close to them again.

We had a rooster that was an A-hole. Constantly raping the hens and hurting them, he killed the Bantam rooster. We had a really cool huge and beautiful rooster that protected and controlled the flock, so we decided to get rid of the ratty nasty mean awful rooster (oh and BTW he crowed constantly, 24/7). No one wanted to kill him and no one wanted him, so we decided we would just leave him out and let the coyotes or whomever have him. Instead, he and the mastiff became best friends. He slept on top of the mastiff if we allowed the dog to sleep outside. When the mastiff was in, the awful rooster lived in the hidey hole the mastiff hung out in when he was not guarding the chickens. They were best friends.
Still the 24/7 crowing continued. The big rooster sometimes allowed the awful smaller rooster to come round the hens and he would attack them. He broke one hen's back. Finally we took him to tractor supply hardware. they put him in a cage out front with a Free Rooster sign on him, he was gone by the time we left the store. Someone probably took him to eat him, but that is better than leaving him out for coyotes to eat. I cannot imagine anyone wanted to keep a sociopathic rooster who rapes and kills hens and crows non-stop 24 hours a day.

Anyway, point is our mastiff did not kill or chase the chickens, he adored them. they were his friends. Our other dogs were basically indifferent to them. One was afraid of the big rooster because the big rooster chased him away. That rooster was a B.A. and really beautiful. Also he loved humans and most dogs.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:04 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:

Well, we know dolphins in different parts of the world have different languages- and thry have been known to teach each other.

That being said, dog language is more body-oriented vs vocalized. That seems to be more similar amongst humans all over the world...so prolly the dogs will communicate the same.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:14 AM

35,062 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
That being said, dog language is more body-oriented vs vocalized. That seems to be more similar amongst humans all over the world...so prolly the dogs will communicate the same.
Except that in certain countries such as Canada dogs wag their tails up and down rather than side to side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature