U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 04:25 AM

2,617 posts, read 913,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post

They are cousins to the Barn Swallows, all of whom are friendly and comical. I have audio to the horse barn and love to hear a mated pair of Swallows converse early in the morning.
Barn swallows are among my favorites. They look like they're having such fun zipping around in undulating flight. They remind me of kids on dirt bikes, moto crossing frenetically around their course, jumping over the hills. They zoom right at us before they suddenly turn away like they're playing chicken while we're sitting on the porch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 07:31 AM

5,563 posts, read 1,972,472 times
In our back yard, birds we see typically:

Cardinals
Carolina Wrens
Sparrows (I'm not sure what type...but they're the most common birds in my yard)
chickadees
Mourning doves
House finches
Juncos
Robins (I'd say the robins are the second most common birds in our yard)

Earlier in the winter, I saw a pair of blue jays hanging around for a few days. That was kind of unusual for my yard. They're common enough in Missouri, but not that common in my yard.

Old 03-19-2019, 08:13 AM

1,447 posts, read 1,634,807 times
Carolina wrens are building a nest in the old mail box on my house. The mail person uses the mail box on the street, so I'm happy. They have hauled in all kinds of stuff! I put a pile of dog hair out there because I have more than enough, lol.

Old 03-19-2019, 08:37 AM

2,465 posts, read 6,270,645 times
In the past we had various birds and numbers,this year the squirrels 4 have taken over,how do you stop them.They scatter the food and eat all of the sunflower seeds????

Old 03-19-2019, 08:39 AM

1,447 posts, read 1,634,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
In the past we had various birds and numbers,this year the squirrels 4 have taken over,how do you stop them.They scatter the food and eat all of the sunflower seeds????
I use safflower seed. They don't like them.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:30 PM

1,707 posts, read 262,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
In our back yard, birds we see typically:

Cardinals
Carolina Wrens
Sparrows (I'm not sure what type...but they're the most common birds in my yard)
chickadees
Mourning doves
House finches
Juncos
Robins (I'd say the robins are the second most common birds in our yard)

Earlier in the winter, I saw a pair of blue jays hanging around for a few days. That was kind of unusual for my yard. They're common enough in Missouri, but not that common in my yard.
Many blue jays here in my yard in MA but rarely see a robin. But same about the sparrows, tons of them.

Old 03-19-2019, 11:19 PM

13,787 posts, read 11,349,890 times
My feathered friends that I have yet to positively identify are back again this year. They look like an all black magpie, could be mistaken for crows but they can mimic all sorts of sounds. I've heard them meow like a cat, shriek like a hawk, bark like a dog and mimic my own whistles and mouth sounds. One or two always get fearless and come hang out with me on my porch and they are fond of oatmeal raisin cookie.

Someone told me they are Grackles. They are newcomers and I don't know. I never saw them here till the last few years. Pictures of Grackles I looked up were similar but not the same. I'll see if I can't take some pics to put up. They are way cool and I consider them my buddies. Oh, and their natural song is quite melodious. They don't have the harsh caw of a crow or the warbling caw of a magpie.

Old 03-20-2019, 03:34 AM

972 posts, read 725,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
My feathered friends that I have yet to positively identify are back again this year. They look like an all black magpie, could be mistaken for crows but they can mimic all sorts of sounds. I've heard them meow like a cat, shriek like a hawk, bark like a dog and mimic my own whistles and mouth sounds. One or two always get fearless and come hang out with me on my porch and they are fond of oatmeal raisin cookie.

Someone told me they are Grackles. They are newcomers and I don't know. I never saw them here till the last few years. Pictures of Grackles I looked up were similar but not the same. I'll see if I can't take some pics to put up. They are way cool and I consider them my buddies. Oh, and their natural song is quite melodious. They don't have the harsh caw of a crow or the warbling caw of a magpie.
Grackles aren't good imitators of sounds -- at least the ones that take all the feed from my bird feeder aren't.

Crows, Ravens, and even Starlings are great imitators.

Starlings are invasive. They pecked through the insulation of my barn roof. They wanted that spot to throw together one of their sloppy, haphazard nests. DH had to get up on the extension ladder and staple tin across quite a big area after he replaced that section of roof insulation. I heard the Starlings pecking at the tin, thru the intercom. They finally gave up and decided slopping a nest together between the ten foot sliding doors (yes, both doors) was a great idea. I tore their nesting efforts out twice a day for over a month -- until it must have been too late to lay eggs and they moved on.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:05 AM

5,563 posts, read 1,972,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
Grackles aren't good imitators of sounds -- at least the ones that take all the feed from my bird feeder aren't.

Crows, Ravens, and even Starlings are great imitators.

Starlings are invasive. They pecked through the insulation of my barn roof. They wanted that spot to throw together one of their sloppy, haphazard nests. DH had to get up on the extension ladder and staple tin across quite a big area after he replaced that section of roof insulation. I heard the Starlings pecking at the tin, thru the intercom. They finally gave up and decided slopping a nest together between the ten foot sliding doors (yes, both doors) was a great idea. I tore their nesting efforts out twice a day for over a month -- until it must have been too late to lay eggs and they moved on.

Ai yi yi, the starlings! I forgot about them. They are such a nuisance! They like to try and build nests up in the gutters, and soffits of our house.

To the poster asking about getting rid of squirrels. Here's what I do...if you think it'll help...great.

First of all, I moved my bird feeder (which I have on a shepherds hook pole) into the middle of my yard. It's far enough away from any trees. Second, I grease down the shepherd's hook pole with vaseline once or twice a week, when it's rainy season. That way, they can't climb the pole. If they can't climb the pole, they can't get to the seed.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:25 AM

4,975 posts, read 2,523,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post

Sounds like Brewer’s Blackbirds. Check ‘em out waiting at some Costco parking lots, arriving minutes before the doors open! Or in the atrium at Palm Springs airport.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/...kbird/overview
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or