U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 09:45 AM

2,470 posts, read 6,283,434 times

Advertisements

Safflower seeds are expensive,we have gone thru 9 or so 50 lb bags of Tractor Supply seed.I did use Cayenne red pepper which the birds didn't mind but the squirrels didn't like,wife was not happy using it.
Should add have gone thru 40 lbs of peanuts.The chipmunks inn the summer and Blue Jays thru the winter,they almost go crazy for them like dive bombers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 07:35 PM

13,791 posts, read 11,374,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Sounds like Brewer’s Blackbirds. Check ‘em out waiting at some Costco parking lots, arriving minutes before the doors open! Or in the atrium at Palm Springs airport.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/...kbird/overview

Yep. That's them. Thanks for the link. The heads right and the long tail feathers.Gonna read up more and see if they're imitators. My birds sure are. It's hilarious.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:05 PM

5,016 posts, read 2,551,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Yep. That's them. Thanks for the link. The heads right and the long tail feathers.Gonna read up more and see if they're imitators. My birds sure are. It's hilarious.
I like watching them strut around. The eye ring stands out, so look for that.

Old 03-24-2019, 03:47 PM

3,073 posts, read 1,199,131 times
Today I saw a great white heron. We have the great blue all the time, and at first I thought no, that's a plastic bag. But no, it was an enormous white heron. I tried like mad to get a picture, but it was too far across the pond.

I also saw an eagle fly over with a fish in its claws. And some wrens or something picking through my wreck of a lawn. So glad I went out.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:02 AM

26,066 posts, read 61,797,525 times
We have a downey woodpecker who pokes a hole in the side of our house and pulls out insulation to make a nest. If I fill the hole, he just makes another. We have tried all sorts of t hings to get rid of him to no avail. However recently I discovered if I tap the pool skimmer net over the hole at night, he will fly out and get stuck in the net. We caught him twice but once he got out while trying to get him from the net into a box, once while we were getting the net down from 15' up the wall to the ground.

It is illegal to kill them, so wen I catch him, I intend to take him out to my dad's house and let him go. Dad has the 100 acre woods behind his house and Dad's house is aluminum siding.

I kind of wish I could kill the little peckerhead and hang him from the eaves as a warning to others. Last time they attacked us, woodpeckers did over $2000 damage to our house.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:47 AM

25,298 posts, read 5,134,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We have a downey woodpecker who pokes a hole in the side of our house and pulls out insulation to make a nest. If I fill the hole, he just makes another. We have tried all sorts of t hings to get rid of him to no avail. However recently I discovered if I tap the pool skimmer net over the hole at night, he will fly out and get stuck in the net. We caught him twice but once he got out while trying to get him from the net into a box, once while we were getting the net down from 15' up the wall to the ground.

It is illegal to kill them, so wen I catch him, I intend to take him out to my dad's house and let him go. Dad has the 100 acre woods behind his house and Dad's house is aluminum siding.

I kind of wish I could kill the little peckerhead and hang him from the eaves as a warning to others. Last time they attacked us, woodpeckers did over $2000 damage to our house.

I gave you a rep before I saw you wanted to kill him.

Old 03-25-2019, 12:02 PM

2,666 posts, read 931,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

Yea, it's a dilemma: we love wildlife, but they can cause damage and it can get expensive. You need to make it an offer it can't refuse.

Here's a site that suggests visual deterrents like fake owls, aluminum foil streamers or audio deterrents like recordings of distressed/alarmed birds or even just wind chimes. https://www.bobvila.com/articles/how...f-woodpeckers/

Maybe you could get some bird netting used for fruit trees and temporarily cover your wood siding with it during nesting season?

Old 03-25-2019, 01:14 PM

1,427 posts, read 441,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
Thank you

I was lucky to see one at the bird feeder two years in a row. Each time the bird only stayed for lunch, then went on its way.

We have quite an assortment of birds including a pair of Red Headed Woodpeckers who seem to be the only birds capable of instilling fear in the Grackles. The Grackles are terrible about scarfing down all the bird seed. DH commented the bird seed usage suddenly went up -- I told him that's because the Grackles are back.

The Bluebirds are also scouting. Their boxes are cleaned and ready for them.

We also just put up our 5th Purple Martin house. They are cousins to the Barn Swallows, all of whom are friendly and comical. I have audio to the horse barn and love to hear a mated pair of Swallows converse early in the morning.
We also had a rose breasted grosbeak. It was funny, he just showed up at the feeder one day like he was at his old stomping grounds, and ate his fill. He came back the next day, about the same time and then was gone, we didn’t see him again.

We get a lot of birds, blue jays, American goldfinch, humming bird, flicker, various woodpeckers, nuthatch, some sparrows, titmouse, chickadee, cardinal, etc. but probably the most exciting was a sharp shinned hawk which promptly took off after a cardinal that I believed escaped into a thicket a pcross the road. So fast!

We also had a Staghorn Sumac in the back and we had 3 Pileated Woodpeckers at the same time, eating from the seed pods on it. That was a first and only. I also got some pictures of one that had just about tunneled his way underground into an old stump. There must have been termites, or similar, because he really tore it up. He literally had just his rump sticking up above ground a couple times. Ha!

Probably the most majestic visitor we’ve had, I have not been able to see. It woke me up one night soundling like it must have been right on the deck railing outside the bedroom. I searched on line for owl calls and, after listening to a number of them, discovered it was a Great Horned Owl. I would loved to have seen it.

Old 03-25-2019, 02:02 PM

26,066 posts, read 61,797,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Yea, it's a dilemma: we love wildlife, but they can cause damage and it can get expensive. You need to make it an offer it can't refuse.

Here's a site that suggests visual deterrents like fake owls, aluminum foil streamers or audio deterrents like recordings of distressed/alarmed birds or even just wind chimes. https://www.bobvila.com/articles/how...f-woodpeckers/

Maybe you could get some bird netting used for fruit trees and temporarily cover your wood siding with it during nesting season?
The above things work for a short time. After a while they just ignore them. We even tried woodpecker attack spiders (look them up they are funny (but not waterproof).

i had a really cool collection of nice wind-chimes. I loved them, but my family was not so fond of the racket on windy nights, especially with some of them right next to bedroom windows. Putting them up was a task because our eaves are about 18' up. however we occasionally get winds in the 40 to 50 MPH range and on really rare occasions up to 80 MPH. Wind-chimes pretty much disintegrate in such winds. I only have one set left of about 20 and that set is bamboo. not that great of a sound.

We would need an awful lot of netting. Our house is two stories and pretty decent sized, plus we would need to net the carriage house as well. then the netting would get all clogged up with cotton from the cottonwood trees and dead mayflies. It would look cool for Halloween, but pretty awful the rest of the year.

We tried the thing where you put out some suet for him and then slowly move the suet away from your house. of course that means you end up hanging the suet on your neighbors property. "What are you doing?" "Oh just trying to get the woodpecker who is destroying my house to move somewhere else." "Get off my property and take the suet with you!" even when we were able to find spots along the road or on vacant land, it did not work. I don't think that suet was as enticing to him as a nice, heated home for him and the Mrs. If he finds a Mrs.

I really do not want to kill anything, but if there was ever anything that deserved death it is that little Downey pecker. I could probably kill him with no reprisal since no one is around to see. However regardless of legality, I have never been able to just intentionally kill something other than maybe mosquito. However I must admit, I would shoot him if I could - at least if I continue to be unable to catch him. He is working on his third hole/nest. i filled the first with foam insulation. then he built the second. I do not know why he wants another. Maybe he just wants to let more heat out of our house because the world is too cold for his tastes. I am not sure he can reason enough to realize our little house could never heat up the whole world, even if he let all of the heat out.

One night I thought I had gotten rid of him. I got home late at night. It was super cold and the wind was gusting into the 50s. I was sure he would be in his hole, so I tapped the pool net over his hole. He did not come out. I tried several times and finally gave up. just as I pulled the net away, he flew out and a hug gust of wind send him tumbling head over talons through the air. He was lifted quickly out of sight and I did not see him for a long time. I figured the wind or cold had killed him or better yet just blown him across the river and into Canada someplace. No such luck.

Eventually, I will catch him with the net and get him securely transferred to the metal ammunition box without escaping. Then I will jump in the car and drive at least 20 miles away and let him go. If he is courteous enough to get caught when I am going out to Dad's house, I will take him there, but Dad lives 50 miles away. Beside, it is most likely to catch him late at night since i know he will be home then. I think 20 miles is probably far enough. Hopefully woodpeckers are not like those dogs in movies who travel hundreds of miles to miraculously find their way home to the humans they love.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 03-25-2019 at 02:23 PM..

Old 03-26-2019, 06:58 AM

2,565 posts, read 2,270,350 times
If anyone is interested, you can load a free app called "Merlin" at the Cornell bird lab site for bird identification. I've been using it for some time now (because we always have something new show up each yr) and it works great and with most birds it does present pics of the various looks of the adult/male/female/juvenile/winter/summer plumage.

Cornell Lab Bird Cams
Click on the pic of the bird on the left side of the page that says... help us build our bird ID tool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or