U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 07:17 AM

25,298 posts, read 5,134,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
If anyone is interested, you can load a free app called "Merlin" at the Cornell bird lab site for bird identification. I've been using it for some time now (because we always have something new show up each yr) and it works great and with most birds it does present pics of the various looks of the adult/male/female/juvenile/winter/summer plumage.

Cornell Lab Bird Cams
Click on the pic of the bird on the left side of the page that says... help us build our bird ID tool.
Cornell has the best of everything regarding birds....

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 10:48 AM

Saw a Golden crowned kinglet stuck in my window screen....his tiny feet were caught in the screen itself. He looked fine, moving around...

opened the window but he was able to fly off. They are tiny little birds with of course a golden cap on the head. They are in my area only during non breeding times. They'll go north for breeding shortly.

Old 03-26-2019, 11:07 AM

34,238 posts, read 31,392,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
The above things work for a short time. After a while they just ignore them. We even tried woodpecker attack spiders (look them up they are funny (but not waterproof).

i had a really cool collection of nice wind-chimes. I loved them, but my family was not so fond of the racket on windy nights, especially with some of them right next to bedroom windows. Putting them up was a task because our eaves are about 18' up. however we occasionally get winds in the 40 to 50 MPH range and on really rare occasions up to 80 MPH. Wind-chimes pretty much disintegrate in such winds. I only have one set left of about 20 and that set is bamboo. not that great of a sound.

We would need an awful lot of netting. Our house is two stories and pretty decent sized, plus we would need to net the carriage house as well. then the netting would get all clogged up with cotton from the cottonwood trees and dead mayflies. It would look cool for Halloween, but pretty awful the rest of the year.

We tried the thing where you put out some suet for him and then slowly move the suet away from your house. of course that means you end up hanging the suet on your neighbors property. "What are you doing?" "Oh just trying to get the woodpecker who is destroying my house to move somewhere else." "Get off my property and take the suet with you!" even when we were able to find spots along the road or on vacant land, it did not work. I don't think that suet was as enticing to him as a nice, heated home for him and the Mrs. If he finds a Mrs.

I really do not want to kill anything, but if there was ever anything that deserved death it is that little Downey pecker. I could probably kill him with no reprisal since no one is around to see. However regardless of legality, I have never been able to just intentionally kill something other than maybe mosquito. However I must admit, I would shoot him if I could - at least if I continue to be unable to catch him. He is working on his third hole/nest. i filled the first with foam insulation. then he built the second. I do not know why he wants another. Maybe he just wants to let more heat out of our house because the world is too cold for his tastes. I am not sure he can reason enough to realize our little house could never heat up the whole world, even if he let all of the heat out.

One night I thought I had gotten rid of him. I got home late at night. It was super cold and the wind was gusting into the 50s. I was sure he would be in his hole, so I tapped the pool net over his hole. He did not come out. I tried several times and finally gave up. just as I pulled the net away, he flew out and a hug gust of wind send him tumbling head over talons through the air. He was lifted quickly out of sight and I did not see him for a long time. I figured the wind or cold had killed him or better yet just blown him across the river and into Canada someplace. No such luck.

Eventually, I will catch him with the net and get him securely transferred to the metal ammunition box without escaping. Then I will jump in the car and drive at least 20 miles away and let him go. If he is courteous enough to get caught when I am going out to Dad's house, I will take him there, but Dad lives 50 miles away. Beside, it is most likely to catch him late at night since i know he will be home then. I think 20 miles is probably far enough. Hopefully woodpeckers are not like those dogs in movies who travel hundreds of miles to miraculously find their way home to the humans they love.
I'm afraid to say but to a bird 50 miles is like taking a trip to the kitchen.

Old 03-26-2019, 03:21 PM

985 posts, read 732,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I'm afraid to say but to a bird 50 miles is like taking a trip to the kitchen.
Lots of truth to that

Our Purple Martins winter in Buenos Aires --I think, lol.

Spring does look to be early this year as I saw two pair of Purple Martin scouts checking out the bird houses this morning!!!

We don't usually see them this early. Good thing DH got them cleaned out last weekend.

One pair of Bluebirds is back.

The Carolina Wrens never left and are nesting under my old GMC. My horse trailer is hooked to that truck -- I hope I don't need it anytime soon. Just unhooking to use DH's truck would still mean disturbing them

Old 03-26-2019, 04:01 PM

1,011 posts, read 456,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post

The Carolina Wrens never left and are nesting under my old GMC. My horse trailer is hooked to that truck -- I hope I don't need it anytime soon. Just unhooking to use DH's truck would still mean disturbing them

I know the feeling... One year, we had the flycatcher nest on top of the front door and the Carolina wren nest on the back porch.. Lots of fun watching, but a difficult exit... lol

Now we encourage the flycatcher to nest on the peak of the house, above the garage. The wrens can go wherever they like..

The red tailed hawks we saw recently have been cavorting in the sky daily. (and likely behind the scenes as well.;-) But we have not seen them back at last years nest again. Of course, we go by there late morning, when they are hunting, so maybe we'll see them there again once they start incubating the eggs.Hope so.

Normashirley, you posted earlier in this thread that grackles are back in your neck of the woods.. You must be further south than us. We're in CT, no grackles here yet.. True they eat a lot, but I love them anyway.. They are so beautiful, with their shiny blacker than black feathers.. I hope to see them soon.

Last edited by LilyMae521; 03-26-2019 at 04:23 PM..

Old 03-26-2019, 04:53 PM

1,876 posts, read 921,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
In the past we had various birds and numbers,this year the squirrels 4 have taken over,how do you stop them.They scatter the food and eat all of the sunflower seeds????
I have a feeder that the squirrels can't get into.

They can't reach this feeder because it's 6 feet off the ground, which is too high for them to jump, and it's far enough from trees that they can't jump onto it from the trees. We constructed it using a 6-foot-tall 4-inch-diameter black plastic pipe, with a 3-foot square piece of sheet metal set on top of the pipe. The feeder itself sits on the metal base. If the squirrels do climb the pipe, they are stopped by the metal base, which acts as a ceiling for them. Only one or two squirrels even attempted getting onto this feeder, and they gave up right away. It's been up for almost two years with not one squirrel getting into it...they don't even try.

I have several other feeders that birds and squirrels share, as I enjoy watching squirrels as well as birds, but this one feeder is just for the birds.

Old 03-26-2019, 05:17 PM

985 posts, read 732,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
Normashirley, you posted earlier in this thread that grackles are back in your neck of the woods.. You must be further south than us. We're in CT, no grackles here yet.. True they eat a lot, but I love them anyway.. They are so beautiful, with their shiny blacker than black feathers.. I hope to see them soon.
Yes. I am in southern Middle Tennessee

Home is the OH/PA border but I'm outside with my horses a lot, my arthritis wasn't going anywhere, so retiring someplace that didn't have as many weeks of cold-to-the-bone dampness had a lot of appeal. The trade-off is allergies as almost all of Middle Tennessee is in The Basin and it takes tornado strength winds to clear the air of pollen for a few days, lol.

Old 03-27-2019, 06:38 AM

I've not moved many an item due to nesting Carolina wrens....the last was I quit watering a potted plant outdoors as the nest was down in it...

my wrens are here year round....yesterday in the bird feeder. So cute with the tipped tail and the eyestripe.

QUOTE=Normashirley;54783499]Lots of truth to that

Our Purple Martins winter in Buenos Aires --I think, lol.

Spring does look to be early this year as I saw two pair of Purple Martin scouts checking out the bird houses this morning!!!

We don't usually see them this early. Good thing DH got them cleaned out last weekend.

One pair of Bluebirds is back.

The Carolina Wrens never left and are nesting under my old GMC. My horse trailer is hooked to that truck -- I hope I don't need it anytime soon. Just unhooking to use DH's truck would still mean disturbing them[/quote]

Old 03-28-2019, 09:00 AM

6,031 posts, read 11,329,817 times
A merlin has come back unusually early this year. It's hunting chickadees and sparrows in the backyard.

Old 04-01-2019, 08:00 AM

2,565 posts, read 2,270,350 times
In N. Alabama my dad went to clean out his bluebird houses about 3 weeks ago and one of them he started to take it down and realized there were already 4 eggs in it. Needless to say he put it right back and left it alone. Seems they are starting a bit earlier this yr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or