U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-31-2019, 02:59 PM
 
903 posts, read 781,371 times
Reputation: 2354

Advertisements

I've killed two juvenile rattlesnakes in the yard (one after I stepped on it and it bit me). I've felt bad about it ever since. I bought a snake stick on Amazon and keep it in the garage to relocate them. The only snake I've seen since was a gopher snake, but this is prime rattler habitat, so I'm sure there are a lot of them around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-31-2019, 04:23 PM
 
Location: NW Nevada
13,889 posts, read 11,410,002 times
Reputation: 12829
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
It's evolution. Because of people, snakes that rattle are the one's killed. Those that stay silent live to reproduce.
Snakes developed the rattle so they could warn large animals not to step on them because they are so well camouflaged and not easily seen. This advantage has now turned into a disadvantage.

LOL, one thing I can debunk from experience is the Western movie where a horse freaks out over a rattlesnake buzz. I've been on horses that just step over them like they aren't even there. Never in my life in the saddle have I seen a horse or horses go zerko over a snake. And never once even though it would have been easy for the snake have I seen a horse get bit.


They know full well they are there, but they just step over them and keep on trucking. It's like they have a telepathy or something. Now, the smell of a mountain lion will freak your horse out. They will let you know when a cat is around. Pays to listen to your horse. But I've never seen a horse (and I've seen a lot of horses} that gave a care about a rattler. I chalk it up to voodoo. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2019, 04:47 PM
 
11,637 posts, read 4,812,908 times
Reputation: 17272
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
LOL, one thing I can debunk from experience is the Western movie where a horse freaks out over a rattlesnake buzz. I've been on horses that just step over them like they aren't even there. Never in my life in the saddle have I seen a horse or horses go zerko over a snake. And never once even though it would have been easy for the snake have I seen a horse get bit.


They know full well they are there, but they just step over them and keep on trucking. It's like they have a telepathy or something. Now, the smell of a mountain lion will freak your horse out. They will let you know when a cat is around. Pays to listen to your horse. But I've never seen a horse (and I've seen a lot of horses} that gave a care about a rattler. I chalk it up to voodoo. LOL.
That's interesting about horses. I was thinking more along the line of animals such as bison, deer, elk.

https://www.nbc26.com/news/national/...es-expert-says
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2019, 07:33 PM
 
Location: NW Nevada
13,889 posts, read 11,410,002 times
Reputation: 12829
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
That's interesting about horses. I was thinking more along the line of animals such as bison, deer, elk.

https://www.nbc26.com/news/national/...es-expert-says

Well the guy who wrote the article is telling me something I've known for 30 years or better. They will buzz but only if cornered and they see a fight as inevitable. Even then they hiss more than rattle and the hiss is loud and unmistakable. They do that sideways crawl keeping their head to you and let it loose. That sideways slither means that snake just wants to go on his way unmolested. Even if they coil it doesn't mean they want to strike.


I'm ot saying they aren't dangerous but if you show the proper respect you will survive every encounter unscathed. As far as rattlers losing their rattles that hasn't happened here yet. They are quite intact but indeed have evolved not to buzz. Long time ago actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2019, 03:38 AM
 
1,492 posts, read 688,813 times
Reputation: 2408
Here in Texas, the rattlers are learning that a rattle is a good way for a feral hog to find and eat them, so they rattle less. I won't kill a snake that's not in a domestic area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2019, 04:01 AM
 
1,001 posts, read 744,057 times
Reputation: 3963
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
LOL, one thing I can debunk from experience is the Western movie where a horse freaks out over a rattlesnake buzz. I've been on horses that just step over them like they aren't even there. Never in my life in the saddle have I seen a horse or horses go zerko over a snake. And never once even though it would have been easy for the snake have I seen a horse get bit.


They know full well they are there, but they just step over them and keep on trucking. It's like they have a telepathy or something. Now, the smell of a mountain lion will freak your horse out. They will let you know when a cat is around. Pays to listen to your horse. But I've never seen a horse (and I've seen a lot of horses} that gave a care about a rattler. I chalk it up to voodoo. LOL.
^^^Ditto that. I was raised in the midst of Mississauga Swamp Rattlers in NE Ohio and we had a camp up in the Allegheny National Forest (Western PA) where Timber Rattlers are plentiful. I never saw a horse panic over a snake; I would imagine that's why a few get bit on the nose when grazing .

And, FWIW, imagine my surprise and dismay to learn the Mississauga Swamp Rattler is ion the endangered list! Their bite will make you sick but they aren't a death threat.

What did amp up even the most seasoned horses one day --- fresh steaming bear dung we had some snorting-get-me-the-hay-out-of-here-horses that day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2019, 06:43 AM
 
Location: Maine
6,032 posts, read 11,342,094 times
Reputation: 5464
We don't have venomous snakes in Maine. A four foot long snake is considered huge. It's sad to think about the number of people I know who kill them because they're afraid of them. I don't want to snuggle them but I'm glad they're here to help with pest control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2019, 06:45 AM
 
Location: NW Nevada
13,889 posts, read 11,410,002 times
Reputation: 12829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
^^^Ditto that. I was raised in the midst of Mississauga Swamp Rattlers in NE Ohio and we had a camp up in the Allegheny National Forest (Western PA) where Timber Rattlers are plentiful. I never saw a horse panic over a snake; I would imagine that's why a few get bit on the nose when grazing .

And, FWIW, imagine my surprise and dismay to learn the Mississauga Swamp Rattler is ion the endangered list! Their bite will make you sick but they aren't a death threat.

What did amp up even the most seasoned horses one day --- fresh steaming bear dung we had some snorting-get-me-the-hay-out-of-here-horses that day!

Bear and cat smell will certainly freak out your horse. But they just don't care about snakes. I've never seen a horse bit even when browsing the ground. It seems to me horses and snakes have an agreement. Which is fine by me. That being said I have never run into a Mojave on horseback. I have on foot and it was not a good experience. They will come after you. They have a nasty disposition and they are the one type of rattler I would end out of hand. The venom is deadly ad their is no anti venom for it. It is a hemo/neuro toxic combination. Mojaves are just not cool.


My encounters with them happened at work when I worked for the Army on a remote depot. We had a security guard bitten, luckily it was on the upper of her boot and it was just a scratch. She was still in the hospital for 2 weeks. The one other time I ran across one I was working with the fire dept way out in the mag area. He was coiled up by a hydrant and got quite aggressive and agitated when we walked up on him. We didn't kill him. Just got out of the way.


We didn't have any snake tools on us so discretion was the better part of valor. Where they came from is a mystery. They aren't supposed to be here but they are. The state has sent wildlife people out there and they have captured a couple of them. It's been theorized they came in on trucks and trains from other facilities sending material from down South. Whatever the means they are here.


After Desert Storm 1 a lot of ammunition was sent back from the ME. There were camel spiders hiding on the pallets and crates. Critters do hitchhike. They are quite ...industrious...that way.

Last edited by NVplumber; 04-01-2019 at 07:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2019, 09:29 AM
 
1,852 posts, read 2,904,715 times
Reputation: 2298
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post

We had a few rattlers come on the place over the years when I was young and my Dad ended them. He didn't like rattlers. Especially if they were close to our stock and also our dogs ad cats. He did ot tolerate rattlers who trespassed. When I took over the spread we never had a rattler at the house area or around the stock pens. I only ran into them out in the scrub and I just gave them a wide berth and respected their space. That's still my procedure with rattlers. I don't just kill them out of hand anymore. They have always given me the chance to back off and that's cool with me. Go in peace my friend. Eat some more rats and gophers. Se ya next year when you're six inches longer.

You should just put little tiny "No trespassing" signs around your property for the rattlers. Of course, the cottonmouth and water moccasins are going to completely ignore the signs, because they are mean and will chase you down. If the signs don't work though, I say build a wall!

SS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2019, 09:47 AM
 
Location: NW Nevada
13,889 posts, read 11,410,002 times
Reputation: 12829
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
You should just put little tiny "No trespassing" signs around your property for the rattlers. Of course, the cottonmouth and water moccasins are going to completely ignore the signs, because they are mean and will chase you down. If the signs don't work though, I say build a wall!

SS

Well we don't have cottonmouths here. Just rattlers. Great Basins are the most common. But we have Western Diamond backs Sidewinders and now a bit further South of here the Mojave Green. I haven't seen one around this area yet but I figger they are there.


I can live quite happily without moccasins. You're welcome to keep them. There are certain snakes that don't play well with others. Ours around here are pretty mellow and un aggressive for the most part. The rattlers can be spooky if they're scared but just backing off usually works quite well.


Haven't had a trespassing rattler in a long time. The time frame where we did have issues there was a mine working a big hill a few miles away from us. Their explosive operations drove the snakes off the hill and into the valley in droves. Since the mine closed up we haven't had any issues. No need for a ...wall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top