U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 07:02 AM

1,082 posts, read 255,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I firmly believe most people's fear of snakes comes from the Bible story about Adam and Eve and how the "snake" tempted Eve with the fruit. I know many people freak out about snakes but I'm fine with them as long as they aren't poisonous. I've only killed one rattler who was right near my front door in a suburban area. Next door were twin little girls who played outside a lot and I didn't want them getting bit.
No such thing as "poisonous" when it comes to living creatures, with the exception of some frogs and toads. They are venomous! Poison is usually derived from plants or man made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 07:26 AM

3,772 posts, read 1,897,326 times
I used to have the nicest black snake that lived in my old 91 year old garage. I would stamp my feet when I entered the structure and he would stay under the raised platform for the workbench. He kept all the mice under control for years. For some reason he moved to a nearby mulberry tree that had a big crevice in the trunk. From time to time he would come out and sun himself on the branch of an adjacent butterfly bush, and would even permit me to stroke his back while lying on the branch. He was a very chill snake!

Old 04-10-2019, 08:09 AM

950 posts, read 589,767 times
They certainly do. They play an integral part in the ecosystem that is overshadowed by their negative portrayals in the media.

But for some folks like me, understanding their ecological value does not diminish my strong aversion and fear of them. Some evolutionary survival traits die hard.

Old 04-10-2019, 03:06 PM

1,082 posts, read 255,053 times
Reptiles are ectotherms. They do not generate heat as mammals do. They must "sun" themselves to generate heat. Given this, expenditure of energy to find prey is a tremendous tax on them. Being unsusccessful at hunting can mean eventual death.

Old 04-10-2019, 03:11 PM

43,219 posts, read 51,833,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I firmly believe most people's fear of snakes comes from the Bible story about Adam and Eve and how the "snake" tempted Eve with the fruit.t.
I'm guessing the reason my relatives in India are afraid of snakes has nothing to do with the Bible and everything to do with cobras biting and killing people.

I think snakes are cool.
I would not want one as a pet, but I love reading about them and learning about the toxicology.
I also like seeing them in the wild.
I would only kill a venomous snake in a domestic area. The rest - leave alone!

Old 04-13-2019, 12:06 PM

562 posts, read 238,552 times
My wife is terrified of snakes.

She used to be "kill it!" Until I started showing her the differences in snakes. Especially between the Water Moccasins and Banded Water Snakes.

We have more BWS than any other. Started seeing more Speckled King Snakes. They're beautiful. Also many of the Garters. I tell her that they're our watch dogs. They eat mice and other snakes. But.....when she sees one it's rather hilarious. She moves away fast and says eeeeeee!

Old 04-17-2019, 04:36 PM

13,885 posts, read 11,410,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
Where do you find this "misinformation"? Most often when you pick up a wild non-venomous snake their first response (If not biting) is to defecate on you. What idiot would put their fingers in their mouth after handling any creature? I have dealt with snakes all my life, having kept both non-venomous and venomous. Last decade we kept and bred both sub-species of Emerald Tree Boas. I have come to the conclusion that most snakes are killed out of ignorance.

Most people, from the crap the news media has fed them, think the python population in the Everglades was a result of people letting their "pets" go. Hurricane Andrew is responsible for this. It destroyed many import facilities, releasing not only the Burmese and African Rock pythons, but many other exotics that can thrive in that habitat, including exotic venomous. These other species don't lay or give live birth like these pythons do. To add insult to injury, there are now crosses between the Afrocks and Burms.

BTW, I don't consider reptiles as pets. Most have specific environmental requirements they need to survive in captivity, especially exotics.

LOL, truly if snakes had such deadly microbes on their skin I would have died a horrible death at a very young age. Bullsnakes first reaction to being handled is to wrap right around your arm and get cozy. Until you get hold of them they will get pretty wild hissing and striking but they mellow straight out once you get a hold of them. You don't even have to keep hold of their head.

They are about the most mellow yellow fellows around. Not all non venomous snakes are that way for sure but ye old bullsnake is harmless if you just use a tiny bit of sense. And yes most snakes are killed out of ignorance or just plain human meanness. At least our snakes here in the Western US suffer thus. I've been lucky enough in my life to actually see bullsnakes take rodents. ZIP and the vermin is wrapped up tight. It's actually more impressive than a rattler biting.

Snakes don't spook me any. I do of course show rattlers the proper respect and don't try and get chummy but I still like watching them from a respectful distance. Snakes are hypnotic in the way they move. Almost like a thin rivulet of water moving across the ground under its own power. And you are again a kindred spirit I that I to believe reptiles are not pets. Especially snakes. If you want a "pet" get a cat. Snakes and other reptiles are great allies but they should not be treated any other way.

Old Today, 01:54 PM

6,388 posts, read 5,961,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
That being said I have never run into a Mojave on horseback. I have on foot and it was not a good experience. They will come after you. They have a nasty disposition and they are the one type of rattler I would end out of hand. The venom is deadly ad their is no anti venom for it. It is a hemo/neuro toxic combination. Mojaves are just not cool.
Yep, I had that experience.

Interestingly, I lived in Tucson and did a lot of trail running at the time. For the most part we did our trail running in the mountains north, east and south of Tucson. In those areas the blacktail rattler was the main type. We would routinely jump over them and continue running. Generally they wouldn't even stir.

One late afternoon we had a friend in town from Kansas and we decided to run the blacktop road just below the mountains on the WEST side of Tucson. This range is home to Mojave rattlers.

We began to run and we encountered a couple and they hissed and rattled at us. The third one actually came at us. The poor kid from Kansas took of running and screaming with his hands flailing and ran about a quarter mile on up the road.

Then the sun started setting. We had to really focus on the road to make sure we saw the snakes. Fortunately none of them were aggressive. We encountered about 10 snakes on that blacktop in a 3 mile out and back stretch of road.

I was nervous but the kid from Kansas was absolutely petrified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or