U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 09:11 AM

13,953 posts, read 11,432,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Their gross scary and mostly dangerous.. wish we never had them... even here in Scotland they critters come out to play in better weather.. thank the lord for the cold..

Actually most snakes are harmless and even beneficial. I have an alliance with the bullsnakes and racers here. They come to check in often, and we have a pow wow about where the gophers and mice are getting over bold. Ill even provide transport for them to those AOs. End of problem. I have a mutual non aggression treaty with the rattlers now and so long as they stay out of my yard and out of my bedroll it's all good.

I have an alliance with the lizards as well. And Horned toads. They are bug control. There is usually an alligator lizard that lives in my pumphouse every Summer. Thus I don't have black widows trying to get cozy in there. Had one for several Summers , the same lizard, that grew to be quite big. One of the barncats killed her (it was a female) and I had to line the cats up at Captains Mast for an ass chewing. Pumphouse lizards are off limits. We called her Big Alice. Sort of a nod to the old Land of the Lost show.

Around here the critters are a fact of life so you learn which ones to ally yourself with, which ones get mutual non aggression, and which ones there is a state of war with. The latter includes scorpions, vinegaroons, red ants, any of a number of species of rodent, coyotes can fall in there, and feral cats and dogs.

The non venomous snakes are welcomed. Our alliance is unbreakable. I'll have to look up what sorts of snakes you have in Scotland.I didn't think you even had snakes there as cold as it is. They must be tough buggers. My bullsnakes and racers get put down gopher holes and into the grain storage area armed with rat writs writ for rats and can operate with impunity.

*** Edit. My google of your snakes in Scotland says you are only going to run into 2. The Grass Snake and the Adder. Adders are indeed venomous. This surprised me. It said that they are pretty non aggressive if not messed with but I wouldn't want one in my yard. Like rattlers here. Hmmm, snakes in Scotland. Whoda thunk...

Last edited by NVplumber; 04-25-2019 at 09:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 10:25 AM

1,103 posts, read 258,567 times
If you ever run across what looks like mouse or rat droppings and they have a piece of white, dry substance attached, they are lizard droppings. Lizards and snakes don't release liquid urine. Instead the urates are in solid form.

It also looks like Europe has few venomous snakes that are mostly old world vipers.

Old 04-25-2019, 01:16 PM

4,724 posts, read 2,082,788 times
All I have to add is that I won't handle any snake (except someone's pet), not because I am unusually afraid of non-venomous snakes; rather, because any animal if handled can bite you.

I don't want to get bitten by a non-venomous snake. Same reason I don't handle live mice or other small mammals, or other reptiles, or feral cats. They can and will bite if they feel threatened. No, it's not a venomous bite, but it's still a bite.

It's surprising to me how many people who grew up on farms and have seen snakes all their lives will indiscriminately kill any snake they see, even when it's clearly identifiable as harmless to humans. I have seen a couple of very sad incidents which still make me feel bad.

Someone posted on this forum that their fear of snakes was making them rule out relocation to entire states of the Union where they perceived "more snakes". That's really dysfunctional.

Old 04-25-2019, 03:42 PM

1,319 posts, read 957,923 times
[quote=turf3;55030844]

It's surprising to me how many people who grew up on farms and have seen snakes all their lives will indiscriminately kill any snake they see, even when it's clearly identifiable as harmless to humans. I have seen a couple of very sad incidents which still make me feel bad.

This probably comes from the snakes propensity to raid henhouses for the eggs. In OK, several species of snakes-the bull snake, and black rat snake to name a couple--were even known as chicken snakes.
Seem like people are slowly becoming more educated about snakes, though. The only way I would ever kill one would be in an extreme case like a rattlesnake in a schoolyard, or some such.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
All I have to add is that I won't handle any snake (except someone's pet), not because I am unusually afraid of non-venomous snakes; rather, because any animal if handled can bite you.

I don't want to get bitten by a non-venomous snake. Same reason I don't handle live mice or other small mammals, or other reptiles, or feral cats. They can and will bite if they feel threatened. No, it's not a venomous bite, but it's still a bite.

Someone posted on this forum that their fear of snakes was making them rule out relocation to entire states of the Union where they perceived "more snakes". That's really dysfunctional.

Hmm, nbody on any of the farms or ranches I grew uo with ever killed bulsnakes kingsnakes or racers. They are the proverbial rat patrol. Rat writs writ for rats. Rattlers got killed. That was just the way it was. But folks would get peeved if you killed the rat patrol.

Never heard tell of snakes bothering chickens. Matter of fact chickens will kill snakes. Viciously. And eat them. People would be surprised at how predatory chickens are. I've theorized they are descended from T Rex.

Old 04-26-2019, 02:29 AM

[quote=bagster;55032128]
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post

This probably comes from the snakes propensity to raid henhouses for the eggs. In OK, several species of snakes-the bull snake, and black rat snake to name a couple--were even known as chicken snakes.
Seem like people are slowly becoming more educated about snakes, though. The only way I would ever kill one would be in an extreme case like a rattlesnake in a schoolyard, or some such.
Ever heard of relocation? There are folks you can call, including wildlife enforcement that will gladly relocate venomous snakes. In many states it is illegal to kill a snake, venomous or not. Some folks are surprised when they receive a citation for killing an endangered or threatened species like the eastern indigo.

Last edited by Dogboa; 04-26-2019 at 02:41 AM..

Old 04-26-2019, 03:34 PM

1,319 posts, read 957,923 times
[quote=Dogboa;55035081]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post

Ever heard of relocation? There are folks you can call, including wildlife enforcement that will gladly relocate venomous snakes. In many states it is illegal to kill a snake, venomous or not. Some folks are surprised when they receive a citation for killing an endangered or threatened species like the eastern indigo.
You're obviously from the big city. In small-town America there is no one to remove snakes. Relocation comes from the end of a shotgun barrel. Messing around trying to remove a snake is a good way to get bitten.

Old 04-26-2019, 05:03 PM

246 posts, read 160,777 times
[quote=bagster;55040274]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post

You're obviously from the big city. In small-town America there is no one to remove snakes. Relocation comes from the end of a shotgun barrel. Messing around trying to remove a snake is a good way to get bitten.
Well, it's not a job for the stupidly foolhardy, I'll say that. As a kid I saw some idiot pin and pick up a rattlesnake behind the head. He was really proud of himself until he realized he had no way to put it down. Yeah, he got bit.

However it's quite possible to do if you do a little sensible planning.

I personally am just as fond of snakes as I am of birds, amphibians, and mammals: I just give the poisonous ones plenty of room. However I have never lived in big-time venomous snake country like some parts of the West.

Old 04-26-2019, 08:22 PM

[quote=bagster;55040274]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post

Yup, the idiots way of thinking. I'm not from a big city and have spent many days in the Everglades.

Old 04-27-2019, 08:07 AM

When rattlers trespass into my yard or campsite I have an 1860 Army Colt loaded with #6 shot. Or a shovel. The snake dies, no messing around with touchy feely stuff. I don't kill them if I don't have to now but don't hesitate if I do have to.To add people who have chickens roaming free in their yards don't have to worry about any snakes. The chickens will tear them apart. Seen it happen more than once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or