U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 10:20 AM

57,338 posts, read 40,228,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
If you find one like that, please let us know! That would be an awesome trip!

I don't know what I'm gonna find but I will continue looking! I've had an interest in marine life since I was in high school that went a bit dormant for many years, I just read a book titled The Soul of an Octopus that reawakened it in a big way. There truly are some incredible creatures below the surface.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Though we used to scuba, we can't do it anymore, but have found that snorkeling is almost as good. No effort involved there, except hauling yourself back into the boat, LOL. Since light disappears after 15 feet or so, you can see most reefs and fish just by snorkeling.

When I was in Kona, HI, they were offering submarine rides but I had to leave. Wish I'd done it.

I've never tried SCUBA but from what I've read recently it seems like it would be too taxing for someone like me in their late 60s. I played with a snorkel in a lake once or twice but never seriously. I'm curious what you find makes snorkeling easier?

Old 04-12-2019, 10:59 AM

35,727 posts, read 2,693,995 times
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...h_Jamaica.html

Old 04-12-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post

Thanks! There are more options than I thought, I guess I should've searched for submarines rather than submersibles.

Old 04-12-2019, 07:57 PM

5,887 posts, read 3,373,861 times
burdell, check out snuba. I believe it's a fairly new thing. They keep you attached to the boat and you can get certified within about an hour, I think.

I had lifelong hopes to scuba when I retired. I had my trip to Cozumel all planned and was investigating the closest place to get certified just before 9/11. So I was hesitant to travel until I found out what it would all mean. By the time I got back around to it I was hesitant about my ability to handle the currents.

But since then I have traveled to Akumal, MX to snorkel with the sea turtles. It was an experience of a lifetime. If they had told me that we'd be swimming for several miles I wouldn't have gone so it's a good thing I didn't know! I must have been the oldest person in the water but I managed just fine. (Just a little slower than everyone else. LOL)

Old 04-13-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
burdell, check out snuba. I believe it's a fairly new thing. They keep you attached to the boat and you can get certified within about an hour, I think.

I had lifelong hopes to scuba when I retired. I had my trip to Cozumel all planned and was investigating the closest place to get certified just before 9/11. So I was hesitant to travel until I found out what it would all mean. By the time I got back around to it I was hesitant about my ability to handle the currents.

But since then I have traveled to Akumal, MX to snorkel with the sea turtles. It was an experience of a lifetime. If they had told me that we'd be swimming for several miles I wouldn't have gone so it's a good thing I didn't know! I must have been the oldest person in the water but I managed just fine. (Just a little slower than everyone else. LOL)

Thanks, I'd never heard of that! I live 5 minutes from a beach that has nesting sea turtles virtually every year, it's neat to be walking on the beach in the AM and see the 'bulldozer tracks' which tell you a turtle had nested overnight, it must be quite an experience to swim with them.

I'd be lying though if I said I didn't see the attraction of sitting in a (hopefully) comfortable seat and letting someone else do the underwater driving. I definitely have some research to do, I'm probably looking at late summer/early fall as the time to take a trip, the big question will be where to?

Old Today, 08:07 AM

4 posts
Have you looked into submersible tanks? they have them at a lot of aquariums, its a fun easy way of seeing aquatic life without scuba diving.

Old Today, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanieLane View Post
Have you looked into submersible tanks? they have them at a lot of aquariums, its a fun easy way of seeing aquatic life without scuba diving.

Thanks! I live 10 minutes fro an NC State aquarium but don't believe they have anything like that. And there is a certain attraction to taking a trip somewhere and seeing everything in the wild.

Old Today, 12:15 PM

1,078 posts, read 251,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post

Diving the Santa Rosa wall in Cozumel is a drift dive. Meaning that you go with the current and the boat picks you up when the dive is over. No swimming against the current. Most of my career has involved diving, commercial and recreational.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature