Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 06:12 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times

Advertisements

Something that has always rather flummoxed me is how if a person is a sneaky, dirty , rotten, backstabbing scoundrel they are described as being a "snake." Truly this is a misrepresentation of the actual animal. I have dealt with snakes my whole life. I used to catch bull snakes and bring them home and my Dad would have me put them down the nearest gopher hole' Accordingly we never had a gopher problem.

We even turned them under the house to keep mice away. We never had a single mouse in the house. The cats kept them out of the horse feed in the barn and the snakes did the work under the house. Bull snakes are funny. They flatten out their heads to look like a rattler when you approach them and will hiss and strike but the second you get hold of them they wrap around your arm and mellow right out.

Nevertheless you know right where you stand going in. No deception about anything. Don't get rough and don't get stupid and all will be well. Now, rattlers are a bit different but the same rules apply. A rattler demands respect . Straight up if you get stupid you WILL get bit. Again, no deception involved. Snakes are about the most honest critters out there.

We had a few rattlers come on the place over the years when I was young and my Dad ended them. He didn't like rattlers. Especially if they were close to our stock and also our dogs ad cats. He did ot tolerate rattlers who trespassed. When I took over the spread we never had a rattler at the house area or around the stock pens. I only ran into them out in the scrub and I just gave them a wide berth and respected their space. That's still my procedure with rattlers. I don't just kill them out of hand anymore. They have always given me the chance to back off and that's cool with me. Go in peace my friend. Eat some more rats and gophers. Se ya next year when you're six inches longer.

That being said in my yard, near my kids and animals a rattler has got to go and I'm not chancing a capture. Shovel or a 44 shotcharge. Which is to bad but that's the way it is. Still I can't find any fault with any snakes personality. Calling a douchebag person a snake I find to be an inaccurate analogy. Rat? OK. There are all kinds of vermin that fit the bill but snakes are not vermin to me. They eliminate the vermin. An important and appreciated function in my book.

To summarize I ask my fellow people to take a second look at snakes. Yes, venomous ones can be a danger but most snake are not venomous. I've seen some ignorant types who kill ALL snakes as if they were a rattler in their bedroll. That's just wrong. Snakes are actually way cool. Just show the proper respect, if you catch a non venomous snake don't get rough and remember they are your friend when it comes to handling the vermin so turn it down a gopher hole, if you try and catch a rattler or other fanged critter that's on you. Can't fault the snake if you get bit. They aren't trying to deceive you in any way. So, calling someone a snake is actually a compliment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2019, 06:48 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
I completely agree....came to appreciate snakes when my then boyfriend kept collections of snakes and went on "snake hunting trips"..hunting for collections. I've mentioned this before in my posts.

No reason whatsoever to be frightened of snakes. Just know the venomous ones in your area by sight and steer clear.

And leave the rest in peace. Maybe you'll even come to appreciate them, their physical beauty, their habits etc.

Old 03-31-2019, 08:46 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,049,655 times
I think they are cool. We used to have pretty lime green snakes in the garden. And once I saw a big variegated brown snake next to the foundation so I got in for a closer look. Found out later it was a copperhead -yikes!!

I used to use black plastic mulch in the veg garden and of course they loved that. They would come slithering out and we would mutually scare each other. Found a lot of cool snakeskins too.

I HATE when people just want to kill a snake for no reason.

Old 03-31-2019, 08:56 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I think they are cool. We used to have pretty lime green snakes in the garden. And once I saw a big variegated brown snake next to the foundation so I got in for a closer look. Found out later it was a copperhead -yikes!!

I used to use black plastic mulch in the veg garden and of course they loved that. They would come slithering out and we would mutually scare each other. Found a lot of cool snakeskins too.

HATE when people just want to kill a snake for no reason.

Oh me too.

Once when I was a kid we were outside playing and told mom a snake was out there. Bringing us inside wasn't enough, she had to chop it in half with a hoe....

Old 03-31-2019, 09:43 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,916,672 times
Having been raised on a farm, I believe in "live and let live" where the non-viper snakes are concerned.

I won't kill a viper snake UNLESS they manage to get into my personal space and refuse to leave without first taking a venomous swipe at me. --- then it's "trouble in River City"

I have seen rattle snakes, cotton mouths, and copperheads sunbathing on my road, but never on my property.

We keep our land well maintenanced and I have threatened DH within an inch of his life if he dares to kill a black snake, rat snake, or any other peaceful slitherer that hunts rodents. <<---- long as they are around to help the Hawks and cats hunt out the rodents, we won't have poisonous snake issues

Would I ever keep a snake for a pet? No "no but H*** NO!!!"

Old 03-31-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post

I HATE when people just want to kill a snake for no reason.

We don't have copperheads here. From what I've gleaned from reading they are sorta like a rattler with no rattles. But they are a pit viper so they have the distinctive triangular head. We have three species of rattler here plus sidewinders. The Great Basin rattler the Western Diamondback and now the Mojave Green is showing up even way up North where I am. The latter I don't really like having around at all. They are flat deadly and aggressive as well. But they are here. Gonna have to deal with them.

Bullsnakes and rattlers are mortal enemies. The bull usually wins. I've seen bullsnakes 6+ foot long. Even our diamondbacks usually don't get past 3 foot or so. I agree about killing a snake just because it's a snake. That is so ignorant!

Old 03-31-2019, 11:41 AM

264 posts, read 200,319 times
Cutting firewood one day, about sat on a copperhead:

Old 03-31-2019, 12:28 PM

130,180 posts, read 12,093,129 times
I like to see a snake if we are out for a nature walk. I hold no animosity to any creature that cannot harm me. But I would not want a snake as a pet. They are cool to look at.

Old 03-31-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tn_eddy View Post
Cutting firewood one day, about sat on a copperhead:

That sucker blends in don't he. Our rattlers cammo up well here to. Kinda funny thing I've noticed. 40 years ago whe I was just a kid I remember the rattlers would sound off with a loud buzz when we came up on them riding horse back. Over time to now they may not rattle at all. I have only had one in the last 25 to 30 years that really sounded off. He was in a hole (thankfully) and I stepped on him. I damn near went into orbit getting clear. But most times I've come across a rattler these days they don't buzz.

I think over time they have adapted to realize the rattle gives away where they are and that means danger. They usually slither away sideways and will put out a deep scary hiss. Sometimes they might coil if your really close. But they really don't want any trouble. They just want to go about their business and be left alone. I don't hurt them unless they are somewhere that puts people and animals in danger. But it's been along time since I had a trespassing rattler.

That wood pile you have there just screams SNAKE! LOL, They love woodpiles. I always come up on big rocks and woodpiles with a weather eye. It's been a wet Winter here this year so there will be a lot of snakes out this Summer. Don't see the rattlers much till the really hot weather hits then they come out at twilight.

Old 03-31-2019, 02:58 PM

17,341 posts, read 11,274,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
That sucker blends in don't he. Our rattlers cammo up well here to. Kinda funny thing I've noticed. 40 years ago whe I was just a kid I remember the rattlers would sound off with a loud buzz when we came up on them riding horse back. Over time to now they may not rattle at all. I have only had one in the last 25 to 30 years that really sounded off. He was in a hole (thankfully) and I stepped on him. I damn near went into orbit getting clear. But most times I've come across a rattler these days they don't buzz.

I think over time they have adapted to realize the rattle gives away where they are and that means danger. They usually slither away sideways and will put out a deep scary hiss. Sometimes they might coil if your really close. But they really don't want any trouble. They just want to go about their business and be left alone. I don't hurt them unless they are somewhere that puts people and animals in danger. But it's been along time since I had a trespassing rattler.

That wood pile you have there just screams SNAKE! LOL, They love woodpiles. I always come up on big rocks and woodpiles with a weather eye. It's been a wet Winter here this year so there will be a lot of snakes out this Summer. Don't see the rattlers much till the really hot weather hits then they come out at twilight.
It's evolution. Because of people, snakes that rattle are the one's killed. Those that stay silent live to reproduce.
Snakes developed the rattle so they could warn large animals not to step on them because they are so well camouflaged and not easily seen. This advantage has now turned into a disadvantage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature