U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 08:38 PM

28,168 posts, read 47,323,256 times

Advertisements

A large, flightless bird native to Australia and New Guinea attacked and killed its owner on a farm in Florida, according to authorities.

The man, identified by police as 75-year-old Marvin Hajos, raised cassowaries and was injured after falling on a path near their enclosure Friday, according to Alachua County Fire Rescue Deputy Chief Jeff Taylor. Paramedics found Hajos just after 10 a.m. on Friday and transported him to the hospital where he died of his injuries, police said.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/florida-m...155820319.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 09:07 PM

13,970 posts, read 11,444,785 times
I knew some people who raised ostriches and emus. After seeing them wrangle these critters and helping them a couple times it really made me appreciate my cattle. These birds could be flat deadly and in ways even the rankest of range wild bulls and cows just can't match.

Not for love nor money would I raise these dinosaurs.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:24 PM

13,109 posts, read 8,283,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I knew some people who raised ostriches and emus. After seeing them wrangle these critters and helping them a couple times it really made me appreciate my cattle. These birds could be flat deadly and in ways even the rankest of range wild bulls and cows just can't match.

Not for love nor money would I raise these dinosaurs.
I had a friend in Texas who bought into the ostrich craze. He had been in the pen a hundred times and then one day the big male attacked him. If George hadn't been wearing a winter jacket it could have gotten ugly, but as it happened the bird sent George flying toward the open gate, which George promptly kicked shut.
Sure made him think about what he was doing. He had 2 children who had been around the birds, too.
The ostrich movement in Texas was a scam and it failed. It was kind of funny. People accustomed to cattle assumed you could herd ostriches. They were wrong. A pasture with 100 birds has 100 separate problems, and you have to round up every single one of them separately.

Old 04-18-2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I had a friend in Texas who bought into the ostrich craze. He had been in the pen a hundred times and then one day the big male attacked him. If George hadn't been wearing a winter jacket it could have gotten ugly, but as it happened the bird sent George flying toward the open gate, which George promptly kicked shut.
Sure made him think about what he was doing. He had 2 children who had been around the birds, too.
The ostrich movement in Texas was a scam and it failed. It was kind of funny. People accustomed to cattle assumed you could herd ostriches. They were wrong. A pasture with 100 birds has 100 separate problems, and you have to round up every single one of them separately.

When I helped the people I knew they told me what to watch out for. The biggest thing was obvious to me in that the birds kick forward not to the back or side like horses and cattle and of course theres that three toed talon set up. Theres sure no using dogs with them.

They'll kill a dog flat out ricky ticky. I didn't help them with anything really up close and personal. Just shagging individual birds into segregation. One was actually an emu and he was a nasty bugger. Unlike cattle or horses these critters have no issue turning on you and saying no. Like you said they don't herd.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:24 AM

6,969 posts, read 3,970,186 times
I guess Terror Birds aren't extinct after all!

Seriously, though, I can't imagine handling any of the rattites. They're big, and they know how to use those clawed feet when they need to. I'll stick to enjoying them in the wild or at the zoo.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:39 AM

1,012 posts, read 752,009 times
I was somewhat acquainted with two people who raised Ostriches. Both of them said "there's nothing cute about them - not even when they have just hatched", and the men pretty much echoed NVplumber, and Listener2307

Makes the bull chasing the clown in the rolling barrel look like a good time cakewalk

Old 04-21-2019, 10:02 PM

4,151 posts, read 7,042,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
When I helped the people I knew they told me what to watch out for. The biggest thing was obvious to me in that the birds kick forward not to the back or side like horses and cattle and of course theres that three toed talon set up. Theres sure no using dogs with them.

They'll kill a dog flat out ricky ticky. I didn't help them with anything really up close and personal. Just shagging individual birds into segregation. One was actually an emu and he was a nasty bugger. Unlike cattle or horses these critters have no issue turning on you and saying no. Like you said they don't herd.
Sounds like a candidate for Blue Emu pain relief goop.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Sounds like a candidate for Blue Emu pain relief goop.

LOL, yea. I recall now though that that bird was actually a rhea, not an emu. Got them mixed up. But that's why we were separating him. He was going to become jerky as I recall. Ya know what really flummoxed me with these birds is you can't use a rope on them. Rope has been my best friend working stock since I was just a youngster. How to use rope was something my Dad taught me early on.

It's impossible to get both feet in a loop with these birds and you'll break their neck if you loop there and you can't leave their feet free. Of course with that rhea I would have been happy to do that but they weren't ready to process yet. Mores the pity. If I had been packing a gun I might have shot that bird just because.

I can't imagine wrangling those critters every day. It did make me happy to get back to cattle and horses.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:16 AM

3,794 posts, read 2,456,560 times
From the little I've read, cassowaries are much more aggressive and dangerous than ostriches or emus.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:02 PM

4,151 posts, read 7,042,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
From the little I've read, cassowaries are much more aggressive and dangerous than ostriches or emus.
Yeah. They sound Almost Human.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or