U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2019, 05:39 PM

3,724 posts, read 1,576,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Tell her, next time, to leave them alone & find a different spot to park in.
Sometimes it doesn’t matter. I worked in one office where they literally nested around all of the buildings. One day I was parked pretty far out in the parking lot away from any nests and one swooped down and started to come at me. I remember on the worst day, some 15 people in my building were attacked, including two in my unit. Someone else said she saw someone fall to the ground and get pecked that day. They sent us all these “helpful” tips, but when they were like literally nesting right basically between the employee entrances, there wasn’t much of an alternative.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 05:46 PM

8,852 posts, read 2,853,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seenee View Post
Wanted to ask, because recently, my niece had a bad experience with them and wanted your thoughts. She is 16 and parked in the Best Buy parking lot where there were 2 of them. She said one was walking around, while the other was sitting, presumably on eggs. She got out of her car and didn't approach or antagonize them, but she said the one that was walking around went right up to her and started making a hissing sound and then started flying at, and attacking her. She said she didn't approach them, or try to bother them, but one of them got angry and started attacking for no reason, is this normal?

When an aggressive goose makes advances on you, give it an equally aggressive response. They will try to grab your clothes with their bills and then beat you with the hard joints on their wings. When one sticks its open bill out, shove an index finger all the way inside and clamp down on top with your thumb. Then pull back, stretching out its neck and it becomes your captive. They don't like that at all and after a couple of repeats, they will keep their distance. If your finger is pushed all the way inside and your thumb clamped down hard, they can't exert enough biting pressure to hurt you. But you have to be forceful about it-----no wishy-washy halfway grabbing.

I raised a large flock of Canada geese on our farm for many years and I had them all well-trained to keep their bills to themselves. Another good defense, if you don't want to do the thing with their bills, is to carry a broom and use it to keep them at bay. Below is a link to a video I shot of a free-flying flock that were descended from the geese on our farm.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/221215...-4JEjJs-dLPnm9

Old 05-02-2019, 05:53 PM

1,450 posts, read 584,748 times
I've been bit by one before if that counts?

Old 05-02-2019, 05:58 PM

2,752 posts, read 1,053,781 times
as far as non-contact defense...an umbrella has worked for us.
the automatic-opening ones, especially.
point at the goose and press.

Old 05-02-2019, 06:12 PM

7,089 posts, read 8,058,044 times
I have worked for the state banding wild Canada geese. I also raise domestic geese with other poultry on my own farm. Geese can be very aggressive, very protective, and just plain nasty.

When they hiss, it is a sign that they are threatened and in turn warning you. You can hiss right back at them - more effective if you spread your arms out like wings - and they do understand you. As has been noted, they are especially aggressive during nesting season, and while molting. They do bite and the bites can be very painful, but not usually serious.

Geese are large birds and you should keep children away from them. They don't make good pets.

Old 05-02-2019, 06:17 PM

2,065 posts, read 1,001,955 times
If you appear to be interfering with their nest/breeding, they will act like that.

I've had good experiences with them, not near their nest at all. They'd float by my boat, and I'd feed them peas. They'd open their beaks and I'd drop the peas right down their throats, then they'd float by other boats for more treats from the humans. They were very trusting, probably too trusting.

Old 05-02-2019, 06:25 PM

12,915 posts, read 17,503,359 times
We lived in a neighborhood with a fairly large like with bridges and walking trails. Goose population grew to the point it was I'm possible to walk the trails as they return to the location they hatched and leave about a pound per bird per day behind. It turned into a health hazard with 200+ birds not to mention them attacking walkers.

I was Mother Goose. Fed them in a distinct outfit lots of cut up bread for a bout a week. They followed me around, tried to bite me. Homeowners stopped at a very early hour to thank me to cussing me out. Half of the geese were relocated to a cat fish farm.

HOA did not agree to the suggestion of one Christmas goose per house hold.

Yes, they are protected but as some other protected species they have outgrown their welcome in some areas.

Old 05-02-2019, 06:31 PM

25,558 posts, read 32,571,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seenee View Post
Wanted to ask, because recently, my niece had a bad experience with them and wanted your thoughts. She is 16 and parked in the Best Buy parking lot where there were 2 of them. She said one was walking around, while the other was sitting, presumably on eggs. She got out of her car and didn't approach or antagonize them, but she said the one that was walking around went right up to her and started making a hissing sound and then started flying at, and attacking her. She said she didn't approach them, or try to bother them, but one of them got angry and started attacking for no reason, is this normal?
I despise those creatures. I wish we could shoot them and offer the meat to homeless shelters. They foul the walkways, the grass, the waterways...and are insanely overpopulated.

Old 05-02-2019, 06:36 PM

6,613 posts, read 3,679,605 times
I have some pillows, a comforter and a jacket stuffed with their feathers... if that counts. Lol

Old 05-02-2019, 07:57 PM

9,124 posts, read 6,093,993 times
I wish that they would be taken off the endangered species list

All they are is honking crap factories that crap on anything and everything
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or