U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:35 AM

58 posts, read 26,446 times

Advertisements

Wanted to ask, because recently, my niece had a bad experience with them and wanted your thoughts. She is 16 and parked in the Best Buy parking lot where there were 2 of them. She said one was walking around, while the other was sitting, presumably on eggs. She got out of her car and didn't approach or antagonize them, but she said the one that was walking around went right up to her and started making a hissing sound and then started flying at, and attacking her. She said she didn't approach them, or try to bother them, but one of them got angry and started attacking for no reason, is this normal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:42 AM

12,828 posts, read 17,428,284 times
They are aggressive and more so when they are breeding.

Old Yesterday, 09:44 AM

25,874 posts, read 5,333,990 times
She obviously was too close to the nest...and terrified the mom.

Stay away from nesting birds!!!

Old Yesterday, 10:51 AM

12,335 posts, read 31,064,578 times
Why did she even get out of the car? sheesh... all she had to do was find another parking place.

Old Yesterday, 11:06 AM

1,504 posts, read 486,001 times
I've had lots of experience. They are average temperament or sweet and peaceful most of the time. However, this time of year they are nesting and hatching eggs. Thing is, many people only get to see them at this time of year. Geese are wonderful animals that would die protecting mate or their young. The adults mate for life, unlike, say, ducks where the male is rather done-and-gone. In fact, I know a duck...and there are many like this...where a goose whose mate died started to protect that duck and her young and now they hang out every season about now.

Near me was a male goose that was killed by a vehicle somehow. The female stayed with him, traffic too busy, she moved back a few feet. But would not leave. Eventually the dead male's body was pressed into the asphalt literally, flat with the road. Evenso, the female stayed by him. That's what I mean by mated for life. People brought her food, brought her to a nearby lake...who wouldn't want the lake. But she flew back to her life mate. It wasn't safe for her where she was so she was taken somewhere else for her safety.

At any rate, during this mating/hatching time, the male in very peaceful surroundings will still watch very very carefully over his family. Always at the ready just in case. And in even a bit busier surroundings he will be all the more vigilant. He will have a wider circle around his family and even approach-and-hiss-first-ask-questions-later kind of attitude.

Geese are very family oriented even among other families. One family will immediately easily take along goslings with single parent whose other parent has been killed. You will sometimes see a very large number of goslings...and just a few adult geese travelling as family.

At some times the geese larger group will break up into several smaller groups after the goslings are coming along. Then when they can all fly, they will come together as that single large group to start their big flight.

They will do things like set up sentries....guards a few yards apart near the water on land. In the nighttime air we hear a soft honk honk. Then another. Then the third. A few seconds later, back to the first one. Letting all know all is well here....and here....and here.

Another thing to remember about geese is that there is a time period before that long flight where they do not have their flight feathers . The young ones, of course, are developing. And the adults have lost theirs and are getting new ones.

Sadly, I have seen people in nature oriented communities run their cars at geese in the summer. Hey, they're walking as fast as they can. They don't want to get hit. And, sure, what are those humans doing in a nature community.

So...when not knowing the goose, know they will be proactive, not just reactive, about protecting their family and their young. And they cannot fly for a while in the summer. I make a point to keep an eye out at that time so I do not scare them.

Last edited by petsandgardens; Yesterday at 11:28 AM..

Old Yesterday, 12:26 PM

12,335 posts, read 31,064,578 times
No flying for a Whole summer! I thought the feathers grew back in a week or so.

PETS Thanks for the information.

Old Yesterday, 04:00 PM

57,713 posts, read 40,405,179 times
I used to walk around a pond in a ver urban part of NJ. Used to see a bird there I never identified, all white, about the size of a Canada Goose, and a bizarre looking growth (cere?) at the base of its bill. If you were just walking near it it was prone to charging you, wings spread. One time I just reached down, grabbed its bill and held it closed 10-15 seconds, it seemed to get the message.

Old Yesterday, 04:43 PM

13,631 posts, read 18,482,520 times
My B.I. L. is scared to death of those things . He made the mistake of bending over and starting a grill well the goose saw that as invitation to bite Bill right in the wazoo he had such a fit . He now no longer gets anywhere near a Canada goose or any kind of goose . LOL .

Old Yesterday, 05:00 PM

36,482 posts, read 2,749,606 times
Tell her, next time, to leave them alone & find a different spot to park in.

Old Yesterday, 05:17 PM

2,616 posts, read 979,186 times
"...is this normal?"
yes.
what would you do if a Giant Goose got that close to your baby?
(adult geese weigh 14 lbs...maybe niece was 6x heavier?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or