U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 12:17 PM

7,098 posts, read 6,507,733 times

Advertisements

I admire their patience too.

In this article from huffpo there is a slow motion video of that same eagle submitted by Biro (a well known and respected wildlife photographer). Watch as it glides low over the water trailing one wing tip along the surface of the water then it lands on a big rock to show off only a few feet away directly in front of a group of photographers.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/...b0547bd130bf88

And here are a few more of Steve Biro's other photographs, there's some he's won awards for.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=steve...w=1120&bih=583

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 01:23 PM

4,207 posts, read 823,033 times
Many thanks for starting this thread.

Old 05-23-2019, 03:18 PM

1,248 posts, read 882,891 times
A fantastic photo!

Eagles are wonderful birds...

Old 05-23-2019, 04:39 PM

366 posts, read 180,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

That eagle isn't hunting by the way, it's a common threat posturing flight the bird is taking to come directly straight in at the photographer as low as possible over the photographer's head without actually hitting him. It's checking him out and trying to frighten him away.

The eagles in Dutch Harbor, Alaska will go for a hit with their talons on the first fly by. I have a coworker with a scar on his head to prove it. And, he was far from the first person to come into the Dutch Harbor ER with a large gash from an eagle attack.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:00 PM

4,207 posts, read 823,033 times
Gorgeous photo.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
The eagles in Dutch Harbor, Alaska will go for a hit with their talons on the first fly by. I have a coworker with a scar on his head to prove it. And, he was far from the first person to come into the Dutch Harbor ER with a large gash from an eagle attack.

Yeah, I can sure believe that. Sounds like maybe some of the eagles in Dutch Harbor had some unpleasant experiences with humans in the past and now they have learned to have a hate on against humans in general. Those fellows are lucky if none of them has lost an eye or part of their scalp. I knew a commercial fishermen in Prince Rupert when I was a kid up there, he was also a poacher in his spare time who would trade in illicit parts, including eagle parts/feathers/talons. He had lost most of his scalp and an ear to an eagle fly-over. He said the eagle took off cackling gleefully with his scalp dangling from its talons and he figured the bird was one that remembered him from the past. I think they are rather like crows and ravens, they are really intelligent with very long memories and never forget an encroachment or injustice against them.

On a brighter note, the eagles around the whole Nanaimo region over on Vancouver Island have become so accustomed to so many tourists coming to photograph or video them that the older ones have learned to put on aerial shows for some of the tourists that they see carrying cameras. They seem to love to be proud show offs to humans with cameras when the fancy takes them and I think they can recognize that the tourists are appreciative with all their oohing and aahing and clapping and making such a fuss over them.

Old 05-24-2019, 11:35 AM

35,112 posts, read 10,370,451 times
It's a beautiful photo!

Old 05-24-2019, 01:20 PM

7,175 posts, read 4,088,362 times
Quote:
On a brighter note, the eagles around the whole Nanaimo region over on Vancouver Island have become so accustomed to so many tourists coming to photograph or video them that the older ones have learned to put on aerial shows for some of the tourists that they see carrying cameras. They seem to love to be proud show offs to humans with cameras when the fancy takes them and I think they can recognize that the tourists are appreciative with all their oohing and aahing and clapping and making such a fuss over them.
That's even neater than the photo is!

Old 05-25-2019, 08:55 AM

366 posts, read 180,140 times
Quote:
I think they are rather like crows and ravens, they are really intelligent with very long memories and never forget an encroachment or injustice against them.

Eagles are smart and opportunistic. Back in the 90's I was working on Adak Island, one of the Aleutian Islands and west of Dutch Harbor, after the Navy pulled out. The compound were were working in had a serious rat problem. We had a bunch of rat traps sent out and I took on the job of rat control. Every morning I would have a few dead rats to deal with. Since I had lost a few traps that I believe were carried off by an eagle after a rat was caught in it, I decided to toss the carcasses onto the roof of a shipping container we used for storage.

The rat carcasses tossed on the roof would be gone by mid day. After a while, I noticed one or more eagles sitting on nearby power poles when I did my morning rat trap check. They would scoop the rats off the roof as soon as I tossed them up there. Eventually, it got to where I could have a rat in my hand, look at one of the eagles and nod my head. The eagle would launch off the pole and I would toss the rat into the air and the eagle would snatch it mid-air above my head. That was very fun and having those guys fly right over you was very impressive. They are big birds.

Old 05-25-2019, 11:23 AM

That's a great story Northrick. I bet those eagles on your rat patrol were really quick to pick up cues from you - a simple eye contact and nod of the head and they knew exactly what you meant by that. And you became their good buddy for life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or