U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 06:40 PM

7,094 posts, read 6,505,361 times

Advertisements

Windsor photographer's bald eagle and its reflection goes viral. Steve Biro took this picture May 4th at the Canadian Raptor Conservancy in Vittoria, Ont. See the link below for the article about it and how Steve's wishes for an outstanding 'reflection photo' came about, and another picture.

Windsor photographer's bald eagle and its reflection goes viral

Quote:
Windsor photographer's bald eagle and its reflection goes viral

Photo Provided by Canadian Broadcasting Corporation

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 06:56 PM

13,136 posts, read 20,699,235 times
Wow, that's really a gorgeous, once in a lifetime shot. Thanks for sharing it.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:27 PM

3,484 posts, read 1,642,958 times
Beautiful. And virtually symmetrical.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:17 PM

7,159 posts, read 4,086,181 times
Incredible photo! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Old 05-22-2019, 10:38 PM

525 posts, read 152,468 times
it's hard to believe he didn't use the transform function in photoshop to do this. It sure looks like the transform or circular filter were used. I just checked and did the same thing to a pic of my car in Adobe CS. Not saying he did, though.

Old 05-23-2019, 01:46 AM

12,386 posts, read 31,337,219 times
I bet he did use photo shop. Eagles I seen in pics & real life hit the water Feet Down to catch their next meal. I also seen them flap wings backwards to slow down over water.

Old 05-23-2019, 03:33 AM

7,094 posts, read 6,505,361 times
I'm not sure what kind of photo shop techniques you're talking about but I don't think it's photo shopped. We have literally thousands upon thousands of bald eagles here on the west coast and we see them flying straight and low over water like this all the time and they look exactly the way the eagle in that picture looks, wings slightly curved so the wing tips are dipping in the water with each slow wing flap and perfectly reflected in the water so it always looks like two birds coming right at you and like they're going to collide with each other.

That eagle isn't hunting by the way, it's a common threat posturing flight the bird is taking to come directly straight in at the photographer as low as possible over the photographer's head without actually hitting him. It's checking him out and trying to frighten him away. A lot of tourists who come here to see the eagles think the birds are showing off for them when they do that to them, the tourists don't realize that the birds are actually threatening them to "get lost!" It's what they do first when any intruder they feel distrustful of comes into their territory and they want to frighten and get rid of the intruder if they can without actually attacking and making contact. The photographer did mention the eagle was clearly very unhappy with him and the position he'd taken up lying flat on the ground near the water with his camera. He's lucky it didn't slap him in the head with a wing as it went over his head. I've seen them do that to people and dogs. Can do serious damage.

Old 05-23-2019, 05:44 AM

4,641 posts, read 3,962,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I'm not sure what kind of photo shop techniques you're talking about but I don't think it's photo shopped. We have literally thousands upon thousands of bald eagles here on the west coast and we see them flying straight and low over water like this all the time and they look exactly the way the eagle in that picture looks, wings slightly curved so the wing tips are dipping in the water with each slow wing flap and perfectly reflected in the water so it always looks like two birds coming right at you and like they're going to collide with each other.

That eagle isn't hunting by the way, it's a common threat posturing flight the bird is taking to come directly straight in at the photographer as low as possible over the photographer's head without actually hitting him. It's checking him out and trying to frighten him away. A lot of tourists who come here to see the eagles think the birds are showing off for them when they do that to them, the tourists don't realize that the birds are actually threatening them to "get lost!" It's what they do first when any intruder they feel distrustful of comes into their territory and they want to frighten and get rid of the intruder if they can without actually attacking and making contact. The photographer did mention the eagle was clearly very unhappy with him and the position he'd taken up lying flat on the ground near the water with his camera. He's lucky it didn't slap him in the head with a wing as it went over his head. I've seen them do that to people and dogs. Can do serious damage.

I agree. This is how an eagle comes right at you if you are near their nest.

It is a fantastic picture with the wings skimming the water.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:28 AM

644 posts, read 142,532 times
I saw one today, skimming low over my neighbor’s property, an open field, maybe 12’ above the ground, then quick ascent up & gone...always awesome to see, not uncommon.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:11 AM

6,231 posts, read 3,521,306 times
Holy smokes!

I have so much admiration for wildlife photographers and their endless patience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or