U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 10:44 AM

26,617 posts, read 19,039,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
Rick Vetter is a fountain of information on bees, wasps, and spiders, and he's made it his mission to end the misconception that brown recluse spiders are responsible for hundreds of bites in California and other Western states. Although a recluse spider was responsible for the panic in San Gabriel Valley in 1968, and again in downtown Los Angeles in 1991, the villain was actually L. laeta, a larger spider native to Brazil and Chile.

I attended a Dr. Vetter seminar in the nineties, where he expressed disappointment in the hundreds of misdiagnoses by the medical community. He challenged doctors to send him these brown recluses that wounded their patients and, at that point in time, the docs were batting 0/300.

His point was that much time and money was spent in attempting to solve a problem that didn't exist, and patients were not getting the proper treatment. Since only six brown recluses had been found in California in 40 years, it was obvious that there were other reasons for patient symptoms.

While I certainly understand the OP's concern, and have even visualized some very humorous "mad" violin spiders, I don't think that he has much to worry about. Perhaps a thorough vacuuming would put his mind at ease. (And don't forget the curtains, closets, and under the bed.)
lucky you. IIRC, he published at least a couple papers documenting the let's-blame-every-lesion-of-unknown-origin-on-spider-bites-especially-brown-recluses phenomenon.

he also used a line i'll never forget that you have to be above a certain age to appreciate:

'the brown recluse is the Richard jewell of the spider world.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 06:30 AM

2,642 posts, read 2,351,786 times
Part of the problem with a brown recluse bite is that you don't know if you'll have a necrotic reaction until you've been bitten and then you'll find out. I'm sure I've prob been bit before as they are in my home (vacuuming and cleaning isn't going to do much to eradicate them) but only had mild reactions. However, I've known plenty of people over the yrs here in Bama that have not been so fortunate and have had large holes eaten thru various body parts. The worst is a friend that's missing about half his calf on one leg.
I've had to have my house treated a few times for them and have a treatment coming up. And glueboards are your best friend!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or