U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 02:52 PM

1,074 posts, read 220,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
Interesting. We have black ones here but they are not nearly that black and their tails arent fluffy at all They almost look wiry
Same with NYC's black squirrels who seem a bit leaner than greys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2019, 05:27 PM

14,274 posts, read 11,624,769 times
Black squirrels are slowly taking over my neighborhood. It has taken them almost two decades to move twenty miles west/northwest. It isn't something that happens overnight.

As far as the little red squirrels; I always associate them with pine trees. I also think they will hold their ground against any invasion of Black squirrels; they are very aggressive. I used to watch them chase the Grey squirrels all over the place. I don't know if it was an old wives' tale; but I was told that the Red squirrels would attack the masculinity of the Grey squirrels. I do not know if that is factual; but I have witnessed many Grey squirrels running to get away from the Red squirrels. I have recently removed all the Pine trees close to my house and now I do not see any Red squirrels.

Old 06-06-2019, 06:04 PM

7,094 posts, read 6,505,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsquirrel View Post
Red squirrels reside less in populated areas because they eat pine nuts and selectively try to live in pine forests rather than the random mix of items that greys eat. Instead of burying nuts, they put the pine cones in piles aboveground. They're actually more aggressive and loud than greys despite their small size.

Greys do not attack Tamiasciurus chickarees such as American Red Squirrel and Douglas squirrel, they just eat different food and behave differently. Greys and reds are in conflict in Europe because greys didn't live in Europe before and the red squirrels in Europe are a totally different species that has habits that are more similar to greys because they are both in the Sciurus genus. Rats drive chipmunks out of areas because they compete over foods.

I think perhaps the nature of the grey squirrels (Sciurus carolinensis) in southern BC, originally introduced to British Columbia 114 years ago, has evolved a little differently over the following generations from the nature of those on the east coast. Here they are quite aggressive as well as carnivorous if presented with the right opportunities. They raid birds nests and eat the eggs and baby birds, and will also attack, kill and eat parts of adult birds as large as robins and jays, and they will kill any small rodents. They will give rats, jays and crows quite a run for their money. They are very territorial and will attack other greys and any other small to similar sized animals or birds that intrude on their territory. So I think I am probably correct in my suspicion that the introduced greys have killed or chased away all the Douglas or red squirrels or chipmunks that used to reside in the southwest corner of the province.

Douglas and Red squirrels and chipmunks and ground squirrels in British Columbia have their pick of whatever they want to eat wherever they live in any part of the province - whether it be in cities or pure wilderness areas - because all of British Columbia is a heavily forested random mix of all manner of trees and other plants. There are only a few relatively small semi-desert to arid mountain locations in the province where there are primarily pine trees over and above everything else. And yes there are red squirrels in those arid, primarily pine forests, but the red squirrels are everywhere else too, even in small cities and towns throughout the province (except the SW lower mainland where the greys are) because the whole province is, basically, a smorgasbording squirrel's dream table spread out for them.

I like all the squirrels but I'm really glad that the aggressive greys have not invaded and spread further afield in the province. I know that the greys that were introduced here 114 years ago have also gone south into Washington state.

Old 06-06-2019, 06:30 PM

1,074 posts, read 220,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I think perhaps the nature of the grey squirrels (Sciurus carolinensis) in southern BC, originally introduced to British Columbia 114 years ago, has evolved a little differently over the following generations from the nature of those on the east coast. Here they are quite aggressive as well as carnivorous if presented with the right opportunities. They raid birds nests and eat the eggs and baby birds, and will also attack, kill and eat parts of adult birds as large as robins and jays, and they will kill any small rodents. They will give rats, jays and crows quite a run for their money. They are very territorial and will attack other greys and any other small to similar sized animals or birds that intrude on their territory. So I think I am probably correct in my suspicion that the introduced greys have killed or chased away all the Douglas or red squirrels or chipmunks that used to reside in the southwest corner of the province.

Douglas and Red squirrels and chipmunks and ground squirrels in British Columbia have their pick of whatever they want to eat wherever they live in any part of the province - whether it be in cities or pure wilderness areas - because all of British Columbia is a heavily forested random mix of all manner of trees and other plants. There are only a few relatively small semi-desert to arid mountain locations in the province where there are primarily pine trees over and above everything else. And yes there are red squirrels in those arid, primarily pine forests, but the red squirrels are everywhere else too, even in small cities and towns throughout the province (except the SW lower mainland where the greys are) because the whole province is, basically, a smorgasbording squirrel's dream table spread out for them.

I like all the squirrels but I'm really glad that the aggressive greys have not invaded and spread further afield in the province. I know that the greys that were introduced here 114 years ago have also gone south into Washington state.

Grey squirrels come from South Carolina. I don't think they have many natural predators on the west coast.

Old 06-06-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
These are the black squirrels in the Wilmington NC area. This is my picture, sorry for the quality!

LOL. I had to zoom in to 300% on that picture to make sure my eyes weren't playing tricks on me. At first I thought it had something large and white in its mouth, but magnification proved otherwise.

Oh my gosh, that black squirrel has a white muzzle and a white cap on its head! Its tail is so fluffy it could almost be mistaken for a skunk if it wasn't as small as it is. I have seen the white squirrels with the black spots on their heads (seen white cats and dogs like that too) but never seen a black squirrel with a white face and cap.

Are they all like that where you live?

Old 06-06-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsquirrel View Post
Grey squirrels come from South Carolina. I don't think they have many natural predators on the west coast.

Yes, that's probably why they are called Sciurus carolinensis. Well, they probably don't have exactly the same natural predators here as there are in South Carolina but there are plenty of carnivorous predators in BC, even in the cities.

Here the natural predators of squirrels on the coast, as well as some of the islands, and everywhere else in the province (that's including many of them coming hunting into towns and cities) are black bears EVERYWHERE (and grizzlies further north - who love squirrels to death and will dig up an entire hillside on a mountain to get at them), cougars, bobcats, lynxes, foxes, grey wolves, sea wolves, coyotes, coydogs, raccoons, martens, minks, weasels, wolverines (further north), European wild boars (introduced into the interior by idiots), hawks, eagles, owls and snakes. And of course cats and dogs.

Black bears, cougars, bobcats, wolves, coyotes and packs of coydogs are the most common predator visitors coming into towns - they come looking for garden fruits, garbage, livestock and household pets but they will take squirrels that cross their paths too.

Last edited by Zoisite; 06-06-2019 at 07:55 PM..

Old 06-07-2019, 06:04 AM

1,238 posts, read 698,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

Are they all like that where you live?

No that's why I took the picture, I had never seen a black squirrel before! But when I was in that area there were quite a few, this was the only one that was still around by the time I stopped the car and got my phone out.

I live in the Raleigh NC area and we just have the "regular" gray squirrels here. The specific location where I saw those squirrels was in Supply, NC which is near Wilmington and the beach. I showed a coworker who was from that area and he said they are common along the coast here.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:47 AM

14,255 posts, read 7,857,449 times
I've seen only two black squirrels at my job in Hinsdale Illinois. I have see them up in Wisconsin. We have grey squirrels and I don't recall ever seeing a red one.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:10 AM

8,551 posts, read 10,768,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
These are the black squirrels in the Wilmington NC area. This is my picture, sorry for the quality!
Wow, Eastern NC. Who would think?

Old 06-11-2019, 08:09 AM

22,756 posts, read 19,199,603 times
I've never seen a red squirrel. Growing up in Massachusetts, I know only the grey squirrel. Having my honeymoon 19 years ago up by the northeast Canadian border in upstate NY, we saw our first black squirrels! I loved them! I wanted to take one home with me! Of course I didn't but I sure wanted to. They are beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature