U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2019, 10:15 AM

12,686 posts, read 14,063,903 times

Advertisements

I have lived close to the sea in various places for the past twenty years, "close" meaning never more than a ten to fifteen minute walk away. So, I am familiar with seagulls on my roof and roofs of neighboring buildings....though until my present building I am not sure that I have ever seen so many nesting.

My question is about a nasty habit (other than the poop) they may have that I was unaware of. The terrace off of my kitchen is about twenty by eight and I am on the top floor of a five story building. This past couple of weeks I have found several beheaded sparrows' bodies on this terrace. One was odd, but more says serial killer.

This terrace faces a building where a jerk put a roof on his terrace and constructed it in such a way that it has become a nesting place for kerjillion filthy pigeons. Yesterday I saw a seagull dive down and nip the head off of a pigeon, leaving the body fluttering there. After my applause died down I wondered if this was the source of the beheaded sparrows as well.

Has anyone seen seagulls doing this, or know if this is a fun-and-games thing with them? Prior to these past couple of weeks I have never come across any beheaded birds or seen a gull doing it and I have lived, as I said, with seagulls always around for a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 10:29 AM

6,536 posts, read 2,358,678 times
From Wikipedia (I just looked it up)

Gulls are resourceful, inquisitive, and intelligent, the larger species in particular, demonstrating complex methods of communication and a highly developed social structure. For example, many gull colonies display mobbing behavior, attacking and harassing predators and other intruders.

And from another site...

Their high reproductive success, coupled with their incredibly flexible feeding habits, means their populations are skyrocketing. Here on the west coast, we have a 350% increase in gull populations in the last fifty years. And that’s a problem. When they’re not eating garbage, they’re eating other birds’ eggs. (Sometimes they’re just eating other birds; I know a birder who was watching a gull stand beside a little sandpiper, perfectly peacefully on the shore, and suddenly, GULP. No more sandpiper.) If we don’t stop fuelling their garbage addiction, the problem will only get worse. Many of our seabirds are in trouble; the last thing they need is an artificially-inflated squadron of gulls hunting them down in breeding season.
https://www.donenright.com/7-habits-...tive-seagulls/

Apparently, it's not unusual. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature