Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2019, 12:23 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,555,936 times

Advertisements

When I was a kid on the farm, we caught several skunks in a live trap. When one was being removed and put into a large metal milk can, it sprayed all it had on the ground. More than 25 years later, whenever it rained, you could still smell it very strongly. The OP should plan on living outside the house for some time, if there are any other family members. How could a sprayed person go to a job, if there was close contact with other people?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 01:56 AM

13,028 posts, read 7,416,413 times
Sure you didn't run to a cachet of Cannabis?

Old 06-25-2019, 05:40 AM

11,042 posts, read 9,672,605 times
My dog Tayah, The Skunk Slayer, used to get sprayed almost weekly. We went through this drill I don't know how many times.

Throw all your clothes that you had on away, bag and dispose of.

Take a bucket, add 32 ounces of hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda 1-2 teaspoons of DAWN dishwashing liquid. Stir and use immediately. Stand in the sower and sponge yourself from head to toe with this stuff. Let it stay on as long as you can (up to 5 minutes) and rinse thoroughly.

It works better than anything else. If you miss a spot, you might have to do it again.

Anything you touch with the spray on your hands will have to be cleaned too. As few as a couple parts per billion of skunk stuff in the air, or on a surface, is smellable by humans.

Old 06-25-2019, 05:51 AM

18,756 posts, read 18,035,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
I tried this formula and I can say that it works! Despite waiting until the next day because I did not have hydrogen peroxide in the house, when I did get some from the store today and used it, it removed most of the stubborn odor. One interesting thing I noticed is that it also bleaches the skin. I think my skin tone went a few shades lighter after applying this formula.
When you went to the store to pick up the hydrogen peroxide did they notice you had a problem?

So how do you like your first days as a Caucasian? We'll give you the secrete handshake so you'll be officially in the 'club'!

I have had several really close encounters with skunks and never got sprayed. Of course luck played a big roll. I was picking nightcrawlers and petted what I thought was the neighbor's cat to find out it wasn't! Good thing it had a good temperament! I also had an experience in a crawlspace with a skunk. We had a broken sewage line many years ago and I had to go find the problem. So I had a spray bottle of commercial deodorant/disinfectant in one hand and a flashlight in the other hand as I crawled through our dark crawlspace. I noticed movement to my left and turned my flashlight on the backend of a skunk only three feet from my face. There was no place to run or hide; so I shot first. I hit the skunk in the butt with my commercial deodorant/disinfectant. It must have burned because the skunk put down his tail and ran or maybe it did not like to smell too good? I know that I did not smell too good when I found the problem; but it did not have anything to do with the skunk!

I work nights and am always walking out to a vehicle in the dark. I turn on my outside lights for a second before I go out and I hit my button to unlock the vehicle doors so those lights flash on. I also try to make noise so any skunks can hear me coming. Like I said before: skunks do not like surprises; just let them know you are in the area before you get too close and they do not have any options left.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:36 AM

12,196 posts, read 7,173,660 times
^ Not sure but I don't think anyone noticed. Unless you are up close, I don't think the smell is that obvious. Maybe my nose has been desensitized?

Old 06-25-2019, 12:50 PM

13,915 posts, read 39,176,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
^ Not sure but I don't think anyone noticed. Unless you are up close, I don't think the smell is that obvious. Maybe my nose has been desensitized?
More likely Skunk Oil went up your nose! Suggest you Clean it too!

Old 06-25-2019, 02:15 PM

23,042 posts, read 18,416,031 times
Another skunk story!

I lived in a single-wide mobile home while on a biologist job in central CA. The maintenance folks warned me about the skunks they'd had to evict from underneath it periodically. The trailer had metal skirting around the axles, but wind often worked one particular panel loose, allowing critters to get underneath. The propane furnace cabinet in the kitchen usually had a faint skunky odor. Once in a while a skunk would wander across the deck and peer through the glass slider door at night. Didn't really bother me; skunks are interesting to watch and I find them sort of beautiful.

One morning I was standing at the bathroom sink and heard scrabbling slithering noises coming from the HVAC vent in the floor. Next thing I know, there's a black and white face and two beady eyes staring up at me. A moment of silence and held breaths. Both of us retreated safely. However, now it was obvious the skunk was getting inside the ductwork so there must be a huge hole in it letting all my propane go to waste. Before anyone got around to finding it two skunks had an altercation in it somewhere. In the middle of the night I woke up to screaming, yowling, scrabbling, and then the air exploded into stink. You could just about SEE the fumes rising out of the vents. The whole trailer and everything in it was saturated. Insulation, ductwork, carpet, clothes, furniture, bedding, food, everything.

Eviction began. I closed up all the trailer skirting, piled rocks and plywood everywhere, and wedged a large Havahart trap inside a heavy duty garbage bag against the only opening left, baited with an open can of tuna. No skunk. Days passed. That tuna stank worse than the trailer. One evening a skunk casually wandered across the deck again, peered through the glass door again, stood on hind legs with its little paws up against the glass to make sure the human inside noticed.

I was fed up, jumped up, grabbed a broom, and went after it cursing. I grabbed the useless trap, chased the skunk around the trailer until it finally zigged instead of zagged, and blundered into the trap by mistake and trapped itself. After gloating over it for a while, dumped the bagged trap in the back of a pickup and gave that skunk the longest bumpiest ride across every fallow wheat field I could reach before unceremoniously heaving the trap near a livestock pond at about 3 am. It never tried to spray. Seemed to get the message and never came back.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-25-2019 at 03:17 PM..

Old 06-25-2019, 03:28 PM

51,608 posts, read 25,642,689 times
The hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, and Dawn detergent works.

Used it several times on our dog. Turns her black hair brown.

Old 06-25-2019, 03:47 PM

2,440 posts, read 2,443,008 times
Get a job working for a lawyer or politician. The smell will blend right in.

Old 06-26-2019, 01:21 AM

13,915 posts, read 39,176,874 times
I had a pet Skunk named Peppy ... as in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pep%C3%A9_Le_Pew
He was couple years old de-scented & fixed when I got him. He Loved playing with the dogs & horses ... tho April my older horse would back away from him. Think she got sprayed at some point in her life. I will say when holding him I could smell a faint scent...smelled of lemons to me.

PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS TO WILD SKUNK!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nTNq8qyoXQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature