U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 07:42 AM

3,955 posts, read 2,026,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Where does one get male raccoon urine?

I would vote for the live traps... you can use cat food to try to lure them. Put a towel or rug over it with a slit for the handle so you can safely pick it up, and it reduces stress for everyone.

Take it way out into the woods before releasing... not near any other homes.

And then block the vents so they can't get under the house again.
In a lot of jurisdictions it is against the law to release trapped wild animals anywhere else in the same county. I would check the ordinances before doing so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 10:26 AM

508 posts, read 353,286 times
Unfortunately, coons love my log home. They think it is a jungle gym.
I have live trapped about 10 a year since I have lived here.

Our DNR does not want them released anywhere. I simply put a bullet in its head, dump it in the back woods and reset the trap. I will sometimes get one every night until the whole family is gone.

Old 06-26-2019, 02:04 PM

14,375 posts, read 11,700,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
Unfortunately, coons love my log home. They think it is a jungle gym.
I have live trapped about 10 a year since I have lived here.

Our DNR does not want them released anywhere. I simply put a bullet in its head, dump it in the back woods and reset the trap. I will sometimes get one every night until the whole family is gone.
In many states you must have a hunting license, trapping license, abide by the seasonal limits and restrictions. In WI you are allowed, as a landowner, to kill nuisance animals like raccoons without a license. However everybody should check their own state laws before they do the same in their own state. What goes for one; does not go for all.

Old 06-27-2019, 01:38 PM

6,344 posts, read 3,573,078 times
My daughter has been feeding stray cats, which she trapped, neutered, and vaccinated for about the last 10 years.

Past year or two she has had a raccoon coming on her deck who eats the cats food. It has gotten so tame and used to her that it lets her PET IT. The stray cats and raccoon don't seem to mind each other. It is kinda like that commercial, "Here Kitty, Kitty."

We have a neighbor who feeds the deer in our area. They all come to his driveway when he pulls into it knowing that he will feed them. He says they will stick their heads into the rolled down windows of his car and let him pet them.

I suppose humans with their kindness can tame wildlife.

Old 06-27-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
My daughter has been feeding stray cats, which she trapped, neutered, and vaccinated for about the last 10 years.

Past year or two she has had a raccoon coming on her deck who eats the cats food. It has gotten so tame and used to her that it lets her PET IT. The stray cats and raccoon don't seem to mind each other. It is kinda like that commercial, "Here Kitty, Kitty."

We have a neighbor who feeds the deer in our area. They all come to his driveway when he pulls into it knowing that he will feed them. He says they will stick their heads into the rolled down windows of his car and let him pet them.

I suppose humans with their kindness can tame wildlife.
Your daughter is being responsible with her trapping, neutering and vaccinating of feral cats.

I would worry about her 'taming' raccoons since they carry many serious diseases: https://www.addl.purdue.edu/newslett.../raccoon.shtml.

Old 06-27-2019, 06:29 PM

6,344 posts, read 3,573,078 times
Stripe (10 year old first litter), Nala, Simba, Oreo, and Baby are not Ferals. They are the only survivors of three litters. All neutered males. None of the female kittens survived including one who was adopted. Not going to have very many litters of kittens with only neutered males around. Tortie Mom Cat disappeared about 3 years ago.

Having lived in Florida for 10 years and now in PA., I have not seen them a lot over the years, but somehow they still remember me. Same blood as my daughter? When I visit and go outside they all come around me. If I sit down on the bench outside, Stripe will rub against my legs and jump into my lap. Feral? The raccoon is cute too but I don't think I would want him in my lap. lol

Our friend here in PA has about 10 deer (does and bucks) who he feeds and has named all of them too. Says he can tell them apart. They all look the same to me.

Edit: Many years ago when we lived on LI, we had a family of raccoons (with babies) which made their home in our fireplace. Summer.

Last edited by Jo48; 06-27-2019 at 06:39 PM..

Old 06-30-2019, 05:16 PM

5,431 posts, read 2,756,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Your daughter is being responsible with her trapping, neutering and vaccinating of feral cats.

I would worry about her 'taming' raccoons since they carry many serious diseases: https://www.addl.purdue.edu/newslett.../raccoon.shtml.
I would worry about that, too. My raccoons were friendly, but you couldn't touch them and that's how I kept it. And I live up here in Washington state where there has yet to be a certified case of raccoon rabies. I wouldn't want deer too close to me either on account of ticks.

Funny, though. I'd hear about the packs or raccoons in the Seattle area killing cats and small dogs and attacking people, but my raccoons were totally mellow with a stray cat that would just sit in the middle of them all.

Old 06-30-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I would worry about that, too. My raccoons were friendly, but you couldn't touch them and that's how I kept it. And I live up here in Washington state where there has yet to be a certified case of raccoon rabies. I wouldn't want deer too close to me either on account of ticks.

Funny, though. I'd hear about the packs or raccoons in the Seattle area killing cats and small dogs and attacking people, but my raccoons were totally mellow with a stray cat that would just sit in the middle of them all.
The reason that we call wildlife 'wildlife' is because it is wild and sometimes unpredictable. We used to sit on our porch and watch deer and turkeys peacefully graze in our backyard. Two times we observed these animals, that normally get along fine, go after each other. One time a deer walked up to a large Tom turkey and kicked it like a football. Then, on another occasion, a large Tom bird walked up to a deer and spiked it in the side. So they have their good days and bad days. Many times, as wildlife matures, they also develop pain in their muscles and joints; what used to be tolerable is then not tolerable. They can become short tempered and turn on even their own or people that have fed them.

Old 07-01-2019, 09:05 AM

2,638 posts, read 2,349,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
The reason that we call wildlife 'wildlife' is because it is wild and sometimes unpredictable. We used to sit on our porch and watch deer and turkeys peacefully graze in our backyard. Two times we observed these animals, that normally get along fine, go after each other. One time a deer walked up to a large Tom turkey and kicked it like a football. Then, on another occasion, a large Tom bird walked up to a deer and spiked it in the side. So they have their good days and bad days. Many times, as wildlife matures, they also develop pain in their muscles and joints; what used to be tolerable is then not tolerable. They can become short tempered and turn on even their own or people that have fed them.

I'm amazed sometimes at the amount of people I know that gripe about pit bulls, shepards and dobermans because of that unpredictability factor yet think petting or befriending wildlife is ok because they seem tame at the time. I've seen groups of people in campgrounds inch closer and closer to brown bears that walk into the campground and just calmly lumber and chew on something and I'm like.... are you out of your friggin' mind?! They have toddlers by the hand and inch closer to the bear and you can hear them.... "look at the pretty bear", etc.

Put a German Shepard into the equation and they'll be yelling at the kids to get away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature