Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 01:15 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,194,024 times

Advertisements

We have a number of vents in the foundation that allow fresh air under the house. Recently we have noticed raccoons in the yard and apparently they have made their way underneath the house through at least one vent that is underneath a deck. I'm willing to unscrew some of the deck boards to allow placing a live trap in front of the vent. Has anyone else had the same issue and successfully used traps to remove the critters?

Thanks in advance for any tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 01:27 PM

10,051 posts, read 6,342,581 times
I had one live trapped from under my garage ( a 91 year old structure). Actually, the trap was set out for two groundhogs, but the trapper also got a possum and a raccoon. On the day he got the coon I called him early to pick up the trap because I really thought the animal was going to tear the trap apart. I've never seen an animal so strong and furious trying to take apart a trap before - it was impressively scary!

Old 06-24-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I had one live trapped from under my garage ( a 91 year old structure). Actually, the trap was set out for two groundhogs, but the trapper also got a possum and a raccoon. On the day he got the coon I called him early to pick up the trap because I really thought the animal was going to tear the trap apart. I've never seen an animal so strong and furious trying to take apart a trap before - it was impressively scary!

So it was the coon that tried to tear the trap apart?

Old 06-24-2019, 02:00 PM

15,701 posts, read 16,977,100 times
My neighbor, trying to catch a feral cat recently, caught a raccoon instead.

The raccoon just sat there calmly while my friend opened the door to the trap, then he quickly scurried away.

I am guessing raccoons are all different, just like the rest of us.

{He caught the cat and she was spayed last Friday.}

Old 06-24-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
My neighbor, trying to catch a feral cat recently, caught a raccoon instead.

The raccoon just sat there calmly while my friend opened the door to the trap, then he quickly scurried away.

I am guessing raccoons are all different, just like the rest of us.

{He caught the cat and she was spayed last Friday.}

We have a feral cat, an uncut male that we feed in our greenhouse. I would like to trap him and get him neutered, but he is very suspicious and runs away if we try to get closer then 3 ft. A trap might work, but Rufus wouldn't like it. Maybe some day.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:51 PM

4,224 posts, read 3,139,018 times
I've had good success using "have a heart" traps for both feral cats and raccoons.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:01 PM

2,068 posts, read 990,654 times
Soak tennis balls in male raccoon urine and throw the tennis balls into the crawl space.

A male raccoon will kill young raccoons. A nesting female will remove her brood to another location rather than risking attack by a male. (https://www.raccoonatticguide.com/evictionfluid.html)

Old 06-25-2019, 12:05 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,544,192 times
I recommend that you hire a professional pest service to trap and remove the raccoons. You don't want them around your house and you don't want to handle them at all. Most of them carry a type of roundworm that will disable or kill humans, if any of its tiny eggs get inside their digestive systems.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:09 AM

18,755 posts, read 18,009,617 times
One thing not mentioned is that raccoons are nocturnal. They are not the only nocturnal animals; possums and skunks are nocturnal. If you set up a live trap, with bait for a raccoon at night, there is a good chance you will catch a skunk. Of course that would pose a problem for many first time live trap users. You can walk up to the trap with an old shower curtain in front of you; but the area could still get sprayed.

Raccoons are great climbers and skunks are not. That fact could help successfully setting a trap without catching a skunk. Maybe you could set it on top of a picnic table of something a few feet off the ground? Raccoons and skunks both love cans of tuna fish or peanut butter; both make good bait. The tuna fish might also catch a feral cat or possum.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:39 AM

10,051 posts, read 6,342,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
So it was the coon that tried to tear the trap apart?
Oh yeah. I had never seen a wild animal trying to take a trap apart, and given enough time, I believe he would have been able to do so. That raccoon was really strong as well as mad at being confined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature