U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 07:54 AM

9,593 posts, read 17,168,542 times

Advertisements

Lol on the apple cider vinegar solution. Yeah right, Iím going to drink pickle juice so I can continue to have periods and pop out babies into my eighties and beyond? you must be a man. Lol.

Jared Diamond of Guns, Germs, and Steel fame speculated about this in a lesser known book called Why is Sex Fun? Though with a title like that, Iím surprised itís not better known. Ahem. He said essentially what several others on here have said, which is that it is probably due to the fact that raising children is more intense and longer lasting than it is for most other species so we need grandparents to help with childcare and carry on the traditions of the community.

And these are my thoughts, but a woman who has nursed a baby before and has been thru menopause can reinstate nursing by producing breast milk by stimulating the breasts and thus save a babyís life if need be. (Men can do this too but itís much more difficult.) so we are necessary for the survival of the community physically and spiritually. How cool is that?

Now tell kennywally to get away from me with that ACV! Iíll take a hot flash over a period any day....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 08:48 AM

5,421 posts, read 2,336,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Yes, Wait. What? What are you saying here? That AVC + water stops Menopause? bahahhha
This.

Not sure but I may have received a message about using it to help women in nursing homes.

#truth

Old 06-27-2019, 09:09 AM

9,593 posts, read 17,168,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
This.

Not sure but I may have received a message about using it to help women in nursing homes.

#truth
What, to get their periods back? Oh joy. This gets weirder and weirder. Maybe the next time one of those women in the nursing home gets ďluckyĒ sheíll end up pregnant!

Old 06-27-2019, 09:21 AM

168 posts, read 275,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
I mean, I get biologically why they do, but in the animal kingdom, the concept of Menopause is only known in humans, short-finned pilot whales, and killer whales. So really, Menopause is extremely rare among species, why do you think evolution has dictated human women (and the aforementioned) go through it?
Because Eve made a deal with God that if we were going to experience perpetual pain, whether through menstrual cramps or pregnancy, we could catch a break for the last 1/3 of our lives.

Old 06-27-2019, 10:16 AM

3,964 posts, read 1,693,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Lol on the apple cider vinegar solution. Yeah right, Iím going to drink pickle juice so I can continue to have periods and pop out babies into my eighties and beyond? you must be a man. Lol.

Jared Diamond of Guns, Germs, and Steel fame speculated about this in a lesser known book called Why is Sex Fun? Though with a title like that, Iím surprised itís not better known. Ahem. He said essentially what several others on here have said, which is that it is probably due to the fact that raising children is more intense and longer lasting than it is for most other species so we need grandparents to help with childcare and carry on the traditions of the community.

And these are my thoughts, but a woman who has nursed a baby before and has been thru menopause can reinstate nursing by producing breast milk by stimulating the breasts and thus save a babyís life if need be. (Men can do this too but itís much more difficult.) so we are necessary for the survival of the community physically and spiritually. How cool is that?

Now tell kennywally to get away from me with that ACV! Iíll take a hot flash over a period any day....
There are other long-lived species that raise their children for a long time that donít go through menopause- such as some species of elephants. I think elephants raise their young well into their teens just like humans do, but they can have far fewer young since the gestation period is more than twice as long as ours. Female elephants also stay together in groups much like we do.

Old 06-27-2019, 12:09 PM

7,220 posts, read 6,572,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
I mean, I get biologically why they do, but in the animal kingdom, the concept of Menopause is only known in humans, short-finned pilot whales, and killer whales. So really, Menopause is extremely rare among species, why do you think evolution has dictated human women (and the aforementioned) go through it?

Do you know what humans, all pilot whales, sperm whales, dolphins, (including the dolphins you called killer whales) and elephants all have in common? They all have really huge brains compared to other animals in the world, they are extraordinarily intelligent, they're all long lived, they're all evolved to be matriarchal in social order (yes, even humans) and the females who live past middle age all go through menopause. (Yes, even all three species of elephants too). I have no doubt there are other matriarchal animals with big brains who, if barring accidents and disease, get to live long enough will also go through the equivalent of something we would call menopause.

I think it's because they all have such huge brains and highly developed intelligence that their species' brains are able to dictate what they want the bodies to do, or stop doing, in order to protect themselves and extend the lifetimes of the bodies and brains. To do that, at a certain stage the brains turn off fertility, broodiness and the ability to gestate in females, all of which really takes a LOT away from a female's health and strength and never replaces or gives anything back in return. Once that drain on the female body stops there's a greater chance of the brain living longer.

Old 06-27-2019, 12:27 PM

5,436 posts, read 2,759,563 times
Every time someone mentions a creator, I think about periods, menopause, and men, and wonder how any loving god could create such evil things.

I mean, of all the ways to propagate the species, this was the best they could come up with? There really is something to be said about Body Snatchers and being born from pods.

And while I like men, they're on this list because of how ignorant some of them can be about both periods and menopause. "You can't bleed when you want?" "Women should embrace periods!" "Women after menopause are useless." Bless their little pointed heads.

Personally, I don't know why we have menopause but I'll be honest. I'm enjoying the hell out of it and wish it had come along when I was in my twenties. Or even sooner.

Old 06-27-2019, 03:07 PM

7,098 posts, read 2,911,245 times
Quote:
What, to get their periods back? Oh joy. This gets weirder and weirder. Maybe the next time one of those women in the nursing home gets “lucky” she’ll end up pregnant!
LOL!!! Suggested by the gender that never had to deal with them of course.

This reminded me of one particularly dense woman I shared a house with for 8 endless months. She had reached menopause and was upset about it. She kept asking me what she could do to "fix" the problem. I kept suggesting there was no problem to fix, nothing was wrong. No matter how the idea was phrased it didn't make much of a dent. Funny thing was, she didn't intend to have children, marry, and wasn't even remotely involved with anyone. Took all sorts of weird supplements and herbs to cure life. All they did was drain her bank account and occasionally make her sick.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-27-2019 at 03:29 PM..

Old 06-27-2019, 03:08 PM

2,542 posts, read 951,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Some reproductive endocrinologists would disagree that men are generally just as fertile into their older years. There is a reason why men over 40 aren't accepted as sperm donors at most clinics.
Yes, it's called Andropause.

Old 06-27-2019, 03:20 PM

2,542 posts, read 951,915 times
Quote:
I’ll take a hot flash over a period any day....
I would gladly, and thankfully have my periods back as peri-meno, and meno have brought nothing but misery to me. I'm aware that some women have few problems with it. But in contrast, many women's health does go downhill at that time. And it all started with menopause. BIHR helps, but it's not the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or