U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2019, 03:52 PM

961 posts, read 619,050 times

Advertisements

There are a few tiny streams on a property I am acquiring in Skamokawa WA - there are some tiny steams (in. blue). on the topo map. They start from about 700 and spill into forest and perhaps the Columbia River.

How can I "improve" a stream into one that is much larger?
Attached Thumbnails
Improving a stream--streams.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 05:04 PM

2,224 posts, read 1,096,227 times
I'd check with the county first to see if a permit is needed.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:50 PM

961 posts, read 619,050 times
I am but I'm interested physically how it would be done-its only 1 ft wide currently and all on my property.

Old 06-28-2019, 02:07 AM

7,088 posts, read 2,905,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
I am but I'm interested physically how it would be done-its only 1 ft wide currently and all on my property.
In your other thread you said you were meeting with a biologist. Hopefully with a hydrologist too. Ask them. What you may consider "improving" the streams may not be, but only someone who knows the hydrology of that parcel could advise you. FWIW, the water originates somewhere OFF your property. It may just surface there if they are springs. That topo doesn't really show much. A hydrology map and/or wetlands map will tell them a lot more. They will probably check the regional wetlands delineation maps and watershed data to determine where the water actually does originate and where it ends up after it leaves your parcel. You may or may not be able to impound or divert any of it.

Old 06-28-2019, 02:00 PM

7,215 posts, read 6,570,009 times
Quote:
There are a few tiny streams on a property I am acquiring in Skamokawa WA - there are some tiny steams (in. blue). on the topo map. They start from about 700 and spill into forest and perhaps the Columbia River.

How can I "improve" a stream into one that is much larger?

Quote:

Good advice from Parnassia.

I have read your other thread that you started about this and have posted to it. You can't "improve" it and you won't be able to do any work on it yourself, you'll be required to hire a hydro-engineer to do the job for you if all of your permits are approved. It doesn't matter that the stream in question is flowing through your property, the water and its path has its own protected right of way and structure and it isn't yours to alter, it's just passing through.

I have posted a fuller explanation to your other thread about what you will need to do. Making a tiny stream wider- can it be done?

Last edited by Zoisite; 06-28-2019 at 02:09 PM..

Old 06-28-2019, 02:06 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,762 posts, read 54,390,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I have read your other thread that you started about this. You can't "improve" it and you won't be able to do any work on it yourself, you'll be required to hire a hydro-engineer to do the job for you if all of your permits are approved. It doesn't matter that the stream in question is flowing through your property, the water and its path has its own protected right of way and it isn't yours to alter, it's just passing through. I have posted a fuller explanation to your other thread about what you will need to do. Making a tiny stream wider- can it be done?

This is very true and many people have gotten into big (expensive) trouble by altering a natural waterway on their property. In fact, the state department of fish and game may enter your property any time without probable cause or a search warrant if you have water with fish on it.

Old 06-28-2019, 02:44 PM

7,215 posts, read 6,570,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
This is very true and many people have gotten into big (expensive) trouble by altering a natural waterway on their property. In fact, the state department of fish and game may enter your property any time without probable cause or a search warrant if you have water with fish on it.

True. In fact is that way all over all of North America and in other First World countries.

Old 06-28-2019, 11:50 PM

6,666 posts, read 8,016,569 times
You're not going to be able to "improve" it, but you might be able to destroy it. Learn to appreciate it for what it is.

Old 06-29-2019, 01:08 PM

14,382 posts, read 11,705,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
True. In fact is that way all over all of North America and in other First World countries.

The rules are slightly less stringent if you own the watershed (if the water originates on your own property). Of course any 'improvement' is still controlled and regulated.

It is like if a farmer has a thousand acres and wants to dig out a little pond in a natural depression on their land. That does not mean that they do not need permits, have to abide by the regulations, but the process is considerably easier (cheaper) than it is for those that do not own the water source (where it might be impossible). Of course that might have all changed with the newer regulations; so it is wise to always check first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or