U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Preferred Topography
Forests 16 84.21%
Desert 1 5.26%
Little bit of both 2 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 07:50 PM

420 posts, read 206,330 times

Advertisements

I have lived mostly in the Eastern US , but now in the southwest. Going from lush to dust is an adjustment I can not get use to. Sure there is some green here in Phoenix , but its sparse and feels really artificial. Which do you prefer to live in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 08:39 PM

3,962 posts, read 1,108,802 times
We live in Oregon, foothills of the Cascade range. I love the forested hills on all sides and a beautiful river flowing about a hundred yards south of us. I don't think I would enjoy living in the desert at all.

Old 06-30-2019, 01:04 AM

12,436 posts, read 31,483,930 times
Beaches

Old 06-30-2019, 01:19 AM

7,088 posts, read 2,905,107 times
BTW, the choices you listed aren't topography. Topography implies the shape and formations of land; mountains, rivers, valleys, beaches, plains, canyons, etc. Your poll just listed the stuff that grows on top of topography.

So, even though your poll didn't offer any topographic options, here's an answer anyway. I prefer mountains.

Old 06-30-2019, 01:37 AM
4di

18 posts, read 1,916 times
Same here, mountains and sometimes beaches... love mountains !

Old 06-30-2019, 01:55 AM

405 posts, read 73,195 times
I like steep, tree-covered mountains, like in this pic.

That's Front St. in Issaquah Wa, a small valley surrounded on three side by steep mountains, everywhere you look there is a wall of green.

So I prefer rugged terrain, but like the valleys between too.

Thx

Old 06-30-2019, 05:53 AM

1,765 posts, read 563,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
I have lived mostly in the Eastern US , but now in the southwest. Going from lush to dust is an adjustment I can not get use to. Sure there is some green here in Phoenix , but its sparse and feels really artificial. Which do you prefer to live in?
I was returning from a trip out west, canít remember where but it was arid. It was late at night, I was driving back from Dulles taking some roads less traveled. It was nice and I had the windows down. The air was humid, sweet smelling and there was a constant sound of frogs and insects. I still remember thinking it felt like a jungle, alive and teeming with life. Thereís a big difference for sure, IMO. I like that feeling of life everywhere, crowding in from all sides.

Old 06-30-2019, 01:22 PM

2,865 posts, read 1,253,994 times
I have to have greenery and forests around me; I could never live in a place without plenty of trees. I like some rolling hills...

I also could not live anywhere that does not have water nearby :: Most kinds of water will do but I really prefer freshwater and love living near a Great Lake:

I did visit Phoenix a couple of times for business and while the landscape was interesting, I couldn't see myself living there.

Old 06-30-2019, 01:56 PM

2,975 posts, read 2,701,897 times
I could never live anywhere in the Southwest. Too hot, too dry, and not enough vegetation. I like plenty of greenery, forests and fields with rolling hills, like much of the Northeastern US was before suburban sprawl.

Old 06-30-2019, 02:29 PM

420 posts, read 206,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
I was returning from a trip out west, canít remember where but it was arid. It was late at night, I was driving back from Dulles taking some roads less traveled. It was nice and I had the windows down. The air was humid, sweet smelling and there was a constant sound of frogs and insects. I still remember thinking it felt like a jungle, alive and teeming with life. Thereís a big difference for sure, IMO. I like that feeling of life everywhere, crowding in from all sides.
You would be a good writer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature