U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 11:10 PM

13,099 posts, read 14,351,014 times

Advertisements

Where I live we are plagued with seagulls on every roof. They must have had sex orgies all spring judging from the number of fledglings....and the poop everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 03:38 PM

5,559 posts, read 2,860,771 times
The chicks were spreading their wings yesterday. I grabbed the camera and found out the batteries were dead, so it's time to make a run to the store for more batteries. Yesterday was overcast, so the chicks were all over the roof. Today is sunny and clear - and hot. So they'll stick to the side of the wall again in the shade.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:51 PM

1,857 posts, read 652,203 times
Great pictures. I hope the gulls do well.

Old 07-25-2019, 12:15 AM

13,099 posts, read 14,351,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
Great pictures. I hope the gulls do well.
Where I live the shrieking of the gulls begins about 5 a.m., before sunrise. It is deafening by six. Lord, I hope this is a cold nasty winter for them as we desperately need some gull population control.

Old 07-30-2019, 01:12 PM

14,941 posts, read 10,945,785 times
I'm loving these updates!

Old 07-30-2019, 01:53 PM

289 posts, read 49,223 times
Awww they are so cute! That is great that you've been taking pics of them as they grow. Will be keeping good thoughts for them.

Old 08-04-2019, 03:00 AM

I finally got some batteries for my camera and got some nice (for my camera, anyway) shots of them. They're almost as large as their parents now and really look like gulls! Both of them were spreading their wings today and I got a couple of shots of one. In fact, he startled me when he actually flew across the top of the roof (I took a picture but it was all blurry). It won't be long until they are flying up to sit on the wall with their parents.

So it looks like these guys are going to survive. YAY!

Kevxu, they start here at about 5am, too, just when it's starting to get light out. But I live where there are street sweepers at 2am right outside my window that sound like a jet plane taxiing down the runway and garbage trucks at 7am and ferry traffic (which includes those &*^% motorcycles) at 4am and 6am. The seagulls are the quietest bunch out there.

Here are some more pictures of them:
Attached Thumbnails
Wehave baby seagulls again!-dscn0199.jpg   Wehave baby seagulls again!-dscn0195.jpg   Wehave baby seagulls again!-dscn0202.jpg   Wehave baby seagulls again!-dscn0204.jpg  

Old 08-04-2019, 04:51 PM

14,941 posts, read 10,945,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I finally got some batteries for my camera and got some nice (for my camera, anyway) shots of them. They're almost as large as their parents now and really look like gulls! Both of them were spreading their wings today and I got a couple of shots of one. In fact, he startled me when he actually flew across the top of the roof (I took a picture but it was all blurry). It won't be long until they are flying up to sit on the wall with their parents.

So it looks like these guys are going to survive. YAY!

Kevxu, they start here at about 5am, too, just when it's starting to get light out. But I live where there are street sweepers at 2am right outside my window that sound like a jet plane taxiing down the runway and garbage trucks at 7am and ferry traffic (which includes those &*^% motorcycles) at 4am and 6am. The seagulls are the quietest bunch out there.

Here are some more pictures of them:
Great shots! Won't be long now...

Old 08-04-2019, 05:19 PM

Anybody seen this video? It reminds me a lot of the first picture.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6otmy3DAK8

Anyway, I caught a couple pics of one chick with its parent. Look how much they've grown! I also got a shot of a seagull, one of three, that decided for who knows what reason, to take a walk along the road under my window. Maybe they felt a parade was in order. I couldn't get all of them in the picture, though, because they stayed under the trees.
Attached Thumbnails
Wehave baby seagulls again!-dscn0206.jpg   Wehave baby seagulls again!-dscn0207.jpg   Wehave baby seagulls again!-dscn0208.jpg  

Old 08-17-2019, 05:50 PM

I'm sorry about the long delay in posting here. I had a shingles vaccine that just threw me for a loop and then all the rooms in our building are being nuked to get rid of bedbugs and roaches, so everything had to be packed up and in plastic bins. It's a lot like moving, except now I get to unpack into the same place.

Anyhoo, the gulls are now as big as their parents. They prefer to fly across the roof instead of walk and they are in the driving-their-parents-nuts phase. In other words, they need a lot of food now and mom and dad sometimes get a little tired of being followed around by ever-hungry chicks. So they fly up on the wall. Problem is, the chicks can now fly up on the wall as well and follow them around there, too. I'm still trying to get a picture of that, but no one is cooperating.

However, I did get a few more pictures this afternoon. The first one shows what a handsome young seagull is supposed to look like. I got a glare in the second picture (maybe they like their privacy?). The third one I took today. It's an I-can-fly-down-but-can't-fly-back-up pictures. Someone glided to the building below him and is now contemplating how to get back to his nest. He's calling for mom while I'm typing this.

Whoops! Chick number two decided to fly down and join him. And it was so fast I didn't catch it on film. Now there's two of them walking around on the roof below. We'll see if they get back to the top by tonight.
Attached Thumbnails
Wehave baby seagulls again!-dscn0227.jpg   Wehave baby seagulls again!-dscn0224.jpg   Wehave baby seagulls again!-dscn0230.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or