U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 02:47 PM

5,559 posts, read 2,860,771 times

Advertisements

Chick number 2 decided to fly down yesterday afternoon and join his brother on the lower roof. They walked around together and then chick #2 flew back up to the upper roof! He didn't fly straight up, though. He took off like a plane and circled the upper roof and came in from the back of the roof to land. So we know he can fly and take care of himself.

Little brother on the roof below almost started to follow him and then stopped. Instead, he stayed there calling for mom. I hate when they do that, even though I know he's OK. Eventually, he took off and I have no idea where he went. Two seconds later, mom landed on the roof and settled down. If he's on the ground, she's watching him.

I hope he's OK. A couple of years ago, a young chick ended up in the ground in front of the store building's doorway across the street. Some guy walking a dog allowed his dog to corner the gull and sniff it, probably terrifying the poor little chick. I yelled at the guy, but I don't think he heard me.

Anyway, this morning at 5 there was the usual loud noise from all the seagulls, but since it doesn't get light till 5:30 now, I couldn't see what was going on. By a quarter to 6, all the seagulls were gone. I'm hoping the chicks are hunting for food with their parents.

As of 2pm, it's dead quiet now. I just hear an occasional gull squawk. No one is on any of the roofs that I can see.

I'll keep you guys updated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2019, 02:32 PM

Well, I'm not sure what to post. For a week now, there's only been one chick on the roof. I have no idea what happened to the other chick, but I was getting worried the single chick wasn't able to fly. His mom is still feeding him, but I have no idea how long that will go on. I was almost ready to look for a rescue organization when this happened the other day.

I looked out the window and saw three chicks, two of them on the roof and one of them on the "chimney" where the nest is, in the far corner of the roof. I wasn't sure what was going on but then the chick on the chimney flew down and chased away one of the other chicks. I thought for sure the two chicks were together again then, but then the first chick chased away the second one as well. And flew off himself a minute later.

I still don't know what happened to the second chick. It's possible he flew down to the street and couldn't fly back up and his mom is taking care of him, but if both chicks can fly now, I don't know why he's not returning to the nest. A cat may have gotten him, or he may have been hit by a car, too. But there's still one chick left and that one is leaving in the morning and returning at night and when he's back home, he's still driving his mom crazy by following her and begging for food.

They follow the mom with their heads stuck out straight in front of them and then bob their heads up and down when asking for food. Mom regurgitates food and then while her chick is occupied eating, she takes off to get a few seconds of peace.

The last few days here have been super busy what with respraying all our rooms for bedbugs and I've had to (again) yank out all my clothes, put them in plastic garbage bags, and truck them down to my car. I've also had to put all my food in the fridge, move all my dishes, silverware, cooking utensils, and pots and pans and anything I cook with outside in the hallway. The books are already in twenty plastic totes. And this is the second time in two weeks. It's been a nightmare. So looking out the window and taking photos isn't something I've been able to do very often.

Now that everything is done (and moved back in - AGAIN!), I can do some more observations and get some pics of the chick flying. I do have some pictures I took last week, but I have to find my camera before I can post them (it's in one of the book totes - sigh).

Old 09-05-2019, 11:52 AM

10 posts, read 413 times
Seaguls are charming ))) envy you in a way )

Old 09-06-2019, 11:08 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,469 posts, read 55,452,833 times
We get an occasional nest outside my waterfront office, the bad news is having to wash the white spots off the car when I get home some days! One year I did see the babies in the nest, but not out and about like yours.

Old Yesterday, 09:36 PM

Well, it looks like the seagulls have gone.

I was holding off posting until I was sure. They'd all be there in the morning and then gone all day and back again in the evening. I was trying to catch a photo of them flying, but I never did.

Then last week everything went silent. No more seagull noise in the morning, so it looks like they've all taken off. I never did see the second chick again, so I don't know what happened to him. The other chick never seemed to fly, but I noticed he was on the wall, then on the lower roof, then on the upper roof, and I have to assume he didn't climb there. But it looks like the gulls raised a nice family this year.

So this looks like the last post on the seagulls. I have a couple more pictures to put up and if I find my camera, I'll have them up tomorrow.

Old Today, 01:11 PM

14,941 posts, read 10,945,785 times
Seeing and hearing about their progress was fun and interesting. I almost feel like I know them. Thanks again, rodentraiser, for taking the time to update and post pictures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or