U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2019, 12:55 PM

7,211 posts, read 6,567,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
The only Canadian Goose is one that happens to live in or migrates from Canada. Now it is possible to have a Canada goose that happens to be Canadian.

We call them Snowbirds. They migrate from Canada to the southern States in their RV's for the winter. They bring lots of money with them.

Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 12:57 PM

6,053 posts, read 11,425,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
According to your link: "The USDA says goose meat is safe for human consumption." But apparently the USDA never tried to eat one of these 'foul' creatures! Tough, bloody, gamy are the words that come to my mind. Perhaps it was the chef or perhaps I was not coming off a starvation diet? If we fed our illegal immigrants Canadian Geese they would all go home!
Tough, bloody and gamy are words for meat from a bird that either wasn't killed and/or prepared properly. It isn't difficult to prepare and turn a Canada (they aren't Canadian) into a lovely meal.

Old 07-03-2019, 12:58 PM

12,432 posts, read 31,476,724 times
Quote:
According to your link: "The USDA says goose meat is safe for human consumption." But apparently the USDA never tried to eat one of these 'foul' creatures! Tough, bloody, gamy are the words that come to my mind. Perhaps it was the chef or perhaps I was not coming off a starvation diet? If we fed our illegal immigrants Canadian Geese they would all go home!
I know hunters that love Duck & other birds BUT wont waste a bullet on Canadian Geese for the very reason you stated.

Old 07-03-2019, 01:01 PM

35,131 posts, read 32,118,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I know hunters that love Duck & other birds BUT wont waste a bullet on Canadian Geese for the very reason you stated.
Some people just don't know how to prepare them. Step one, don't over cook it. There is a place near here that does it on a heat lamp spit and it's delicious.

Old 07-03-2019, 01:13 PM

12,432 posts, read 31,476,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Uummm. Okay, I know this sounds really anal retentive but as a Canadian I find this so annoying because so many Americans get it wrong, so just for the record they are not called Canadian Geese and they are not illegals. They are called Canada Geese and they are native to ALL of North America. The title says the correct name. I think that to refer to them as illegal immigrants even as a joke is in poor taste and inappropriate.

Canada geese are a particular species of the Branta genus of geese (Branta Canadensis) that are native to arctic and temperate regions of all of North America, as well as Siberia and some northern European countries. They do not belong to Canada because of their name, they belong to the world's northern hemisphere (that includes all of USA) and they migrate back and forth throughout the northern hemisphere. They have no borders. Just like Snow Geese. Canada geese have also been introduced and become naturalized to the United Kingdom, New Zealand, Argentina, Chile and the Falkland Islands.

On the other hand, a Canadian goose is any goose of any goosey species and type that originated from anywhere in the world that is the domesticated livestock property owned, fed, cared for, housed and confined in Canada by a real Canadian farmer residing in Canada. A real Canadian goose never leaves Canada and it isn't a nuisance to anyone.

From one Canadian to another ... The title was a JOKE lighten up.

America is Not spending Billions to put up Wall on Canada Borders But they are on Mexico Borders. They use Rotties & other dogs against the Mexican MAYBE they Need Border Collies to use against the invading Canadians. Most Airports & Golf Courses use Border Collies to keep water fowl from nesting. Not sure why this town cant do the same. BORDER COLLIES CONTROL GEESE ON FAIRWAYS, RUNWAYS | National Animal Interest Alliance

Old 07-03-2019, 02:26 PM

14,375 posts, read 11,700,763 times
Quote:
I only ever attempted to eat one and one was enough! It could have been simply a bad one? Wasn't there a joke about letting one lay in a heavily travelled road for a week, removing the pavement, scrapping the remains off, and then preparing the pavement!

I am sure there are many people that can cook them properly. I forgot; I did have a friend that offered me some out of a Crockpot one time and that wasn't too bad - I did not go back for seconds.

I have almost the same feelings about wild turkey; but I hate them a shade less! I'll buy my meat from the store (unless I come across a dozen nice size bullfrogs)! It is too bad you can't find nice frogs anymore.

Old 07-03-2019, 04:58 PM

1,586 posts, read 814,645 times
Quote:
You just got a bad one. Probably been eating chemical grass on the golf course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
I have been told that zoos won't take goose meat in general because they don't know where it's been.
I would not be surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
. . .

Canada geese are a particular species of the Branta genus of geese (Branta Canadensis) that are native to arctic and temperate regions of all of North America, as well as Siberia and some northern European countries. . . .
On the other hand, a Canadian goose . . .
Isn't a REAL Canadian goose one who says "A?" after every sentence, eh?

They WERE native to the arctic. No longer. There are significant populations in the US (48 contiguous) who don't migrate, or only migrate a few miles - basically year-round residents. US born and raised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Tough, bloody and gamy are words for meat from a bird that either wasn't killed and/or prepared properly. It isn't difficult to prepare and turn a Canada (they aren't Canadian) into a lovely meal.
They ARE!

Quote:
From one Canadian to another ... The title was a JOKE lighten up.
. . . Airports & Golf Courses use Border Collies to keep water fowl from nesting. Not sure why this town cant do the same. BORDER COLLIES CONTROL GEESE ON FAIRWAYS, RUNWAYS | National Animal Interest Alliance
Either ignorance or cost. Hiring a dog and a handler isn't free. And some people are simply not aware you can control the geese with dogs.

Quote:
I only ever attempted to eat one and one was enough! It could have been simply a bad one? Wasn't there a joke about letting one lay in a heavily travelled road for a week, removing the pavement, scrapping the remains off, and then preparing the pavement!

I am sure there are many people that can cook them properly. I forgot; I did have a friend that offered me some out of a Crockpot one time and that wasn't too bad - I did not go back for seconds.

I have almost the same feelings about wild turkey; but I hate them a shade less! I'll buy my meat from the store (unless I come across a dozen nice size bullfrogs)! It is too bad you can't find nice frogs anymore.
Wild turkey, geese, and frogs are all delicious, BUT the flavor depends on what they eat. Frogs can get a very woody flavor, just like fish do, because the water in their pond is basically nasty. Too many people, houses, runoff, etc. Too much algae, wrong time of year, whatever. Same with wild turkey and Canada geese. Personally, I find a good goose to be a delicacy, and turkey the same. And deer. Much more flavorful and delicious than their commercial counterparts.

Now, I've got some knowledge about this, because my dogs are one of those goose-control crews for several local schools, golf courses, and commercial properties. I'm not sure I'd want to eat one who had been residing on a golf course for a month. OTOH, all my golf course pay very close attention to how much chemical they apply and where. They want their ponds to be alive with frogs and stuff - because if their ponds are alive - they know they aren't overapplying. But still. The thought of eating one of those - I just don't know.

Of course, our job is to humanely encourage the geese to leave - not kill them in the process. So it's not like I've got geese lining my freezer, eh?
Besides, the little kiddies watch us at work - they wouldn't want to see the poor things hurt, ya know.

Old 07-03-2019, 05:45 PM

8,947 posts, read 7,721,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
You just got a bad one. Probably been eating chemical grass on the golf course.

I would not be surprised.

Isn't a REAL Canadian goose one who says "A?" after every sentence, eh?

They WERE native to the arctic. No longer. There are significant populations in the US (48 contiguous) who don't migrate, or only migrate a few miles - basically year-round residents. US born and raised.

They ARE!

Either ignorance or cost. Hiring a dog and a handler isn't free. And some people are simply not aware you can control the geese with dogs.

Wild turkey, geese, and frogs are all delicious, BUT the flavor depends on what they eat. Frogs can get a very woody flavor, just like fish do, because the water in their pond is basically nasty. Too many people, houses, runoff, etc. Too much algae, wrong time of year, whatever. Same with wild turkey and Canada geese. Personally, I find a good goose to be a delicacy, and turkey the same. And deer. Much more flavorful and delicious than their commercial counterparts.

Now, I've got some knowledge about this, because my dogs are one of those goose-control crews for several local schools, golf courses, and commercial properties. I'm not sure I'd want to eat one who had been residing on a golf course for a month. OTOH, all my golf course pay very close attention to how much chemical they apply and where. They want their ponds to be alive with frogs and stuff - because if their ponds are alive - they know they aren't overapplying. But still. The thought of eating one of those - I just don't know.

Of course, our job is to humanely encourage the geese to leave - not kill them in the process. So it's not like I've got geese lining my freezer, eh?
Besides, the little kiddies watch us at work - they wouldn't want to see the poor things hurt, ya know.
I was once told by an old time golf greenskeeper to avoid game and even fish that come from a golf course due to the chemicals they use. He said fish from a river/stream flowing through the golf course was fine but not those for the ponds.

That said, I know of some Latino's that worked at a golf course and they occasionally would "bag" a Canada Goose and cook it up.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:16 PM

1,924 posts, read 986,927 times
at one time they were on the endangered species list due to overhunting

Old 07-04-2019, 01:42 AM

7,072 posts, read 2,899,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
at one time they were on the endangered species list due to overhunting
Not true as stated. There are a number of subspecies of Branta canadensis. Only one was ever actually listed. (I know, I know, it was re-classified as a cackling goose). Overhunting was not the primary reason either. Read the story:

https://www.fws.gov/endangered/map/E...ry1/index.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or