U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 02:30 AM

1,924 posts, read 986,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Not true as stated. There are a number of subspecies of Branta canadensis. Only one was ever actually listed. (I know, I know, it was re-classified as a cackling goose). Overhunting was not the primary reason either. Read the story:

https://www.fws.gov/endangered/map/E...ry1/index.html

thank you. I watched a documentary recently and made my broad statement based on my faulty memory. I stand corrected.

edited to say that I just googled "Canada goose over hunted to near extinction". I feel better now.

Last edited by newcomputer; 07-04-2019 at 02:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2019, 10:26 AM

1,587 posts, read 814,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Not true as stated. There are a number of subspecies of Branta canadensis. Only one was ever actually listed. (I know, I know, it was re-classified as a cackling goose). Overhunting was not the primary reason either. Read the story:

https://www.fws.gov/endangered/map/E...ry1/index.html
Well, how about that - learn something new. I'd thought that Canada geese were on the endangered list - not only that particular sub-species. Most everybody I've discussed it with thought the same. Little did we know.

I can add this - the MA fish and game website tells us that most of the geese who no longer migrate are not descended from the migratory flocks, but from flocks of geese raised as live decoys for hunting. Live decoys were outlawed, and now only outlaws have live geese flocks - oh - sorry - wrong conversation - now the descendants of those geese hang out perennially.

Personally, I'm not entirely convinced by the fish and game people's explanation. I recall geese becoming a problem in AZ and other parts of the country because of not migrating. And those places didn't have flocks of live decoys. Still, it makes a good story, I suppose, and there is probably SOME truth in it.

I can vouch that they still migrate some, but I suspect the distances may only be in the 10s of miles, or perhaps a couple hundred - like MA to RI or CT, and back. It seems more like they just move around a bit at migration time. We'll get flocks in the spring, looking for food and nesting. And, again after molting and the chicks are flying we see movement again. Then, in the fall they go somewhere else. Some of my sites used to be overwintering spots for flocks, but not anymore. They know they aren't welcome now.

Old 07-04-2019, 10:31 AM

1,587 posts, read 814,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I was once told by an old time golf greenskeeper to avoid game and even fish that come from a golf course due to the chemicals they use. He said fish from a river/stream flowing through the golf course was fine but not those for the ponds.

That said, I know of some Latino's that worked at a golf course and they occasionally would "bag" a Canada Goose and cook it up.

Yeah, I suspect those chemicals aren't going to kill you outright. It's more like cancer in the next 40 years kinda scenario.

Old 07-04-2019, 11:57 AM

7,212 posts, read 6,567,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post

....... I can add this - the MA fish and game website tells us that most of the geese who no longer migrate are not descended from the migratory flocks, but from flocks of geese raised as live decoys for hunting.... ..... Personally, I'm not entirely convinced by the fish and game people's explanation. I recall geese becoming a problem in AZ and other parts of the country because of not migrating. And those places didn't have flocks of live decoys. Still, it makes a good story, I suppose, and there is probably SOME truth in it.......

What the MA fish and game website says might be part of the story with some truth to it for their location and other locations where live decoys were permitted - but I think it's only a very small part of the story. Live decoys have never been permitted where I live and there's lots of places here in the wilderness with abundant food and freedom for geese - yet there are still places here where human habituated and citified Canada geese never leave. It's because humans provide them with food, either intentionally or inadvertently. Wild animals will stay around wherever there is easy food that they don't have to work hard for. It is made available to them any day of the year in a safe place where they don't have to worry too much about natural predators. They must think it's animal heaven.

Canada Geese get habituated to smorgasbords being laid out for them by humans across the continent just as easily as any other wildlife that becomes habituated to being fed by humans. There's no need to bother to migrate or hunt and forage when so many humans can be depended on to plant crops to be raided, build golf courses and institutions with beautiful lush, protected grass grounds to nibble on perpetually, create parks and ponds where there's a steady supply of people who go there every day to feed all the birdies and squirrels.

The only reason that geese who take up permanent residency are considered a bigger problem by disgruntled humans is because there are large flocks of them and geese are really big birds. They're more aggressive and protective (how dare they be ?!?!) and their poop is bigger compared to all the many flocks of other smaller but just as messy and destructive birds that also are habituated and take up residency to partake of human bounty.

It's a human created problem that's perpetuated by humans because humans are responsible for habituating the ones that stay. Killing them isn't necessarily the answer because as long as there continues to be smorgasbords laid out for them by humans more of them will continue to come. Discouraging, harassing and not making food easily accessible to them is the answer. If there's no food and no comfortable resting place for them they will go away.

Old 07-04-2019, 01:39 PM

15,846 posts, read 6,238,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/de...RK4?li=BBnbfcL

They say eating these Illegals is Safe for humans.... I Say What about Bird Flu?
Where are their documents or FDA approvals? How did they get across the border anyway? Did they cross at a designated crossing? And did they leave white markings to show their travel path? One such marking hit my car this morning.

Old 07-04-2019, 03:48 PM

7,072 posts, read 2,899,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
Well, how about that - learn something new. I'd thought that Canada geese were on the endangered list - not only that particular sub-species. Most everybody I've discussed it with thought the same. Little did we know.
There have been other so-called "races" that rose to state levels of concern along the Pacific flyway. Again, smaller populations and localized migratory routes that made them more vulnerable. Then there's the byproduct of more research into the entire species...you tend to find variation in characteristics, more sub populations that might or might not be genetically distinct. The Aleutian cackling goose was the only one that rose to international T&E level of protection.

We humans forget that wildlife adapts to change. Goose populations that don't need to migrate to keep from starving won't. Why expend all that energy and risk injury or death? Stay home and eat the golf course grass, agricultural waste grain, turf/sod crops grown just to provide instant residential lawns, the results of all the wetland and marsh restoration that took place after the Dust Bowl days. Enjoy the warming climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or