Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 08:10 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times

Advertisements

I have one neighbor that has a house only about twenty or thirty feet from a township road. They religiously feed deer, turkeys and other wildlife for many years. Most of us driving by know enough to be on guard so we will not hit the animals eating. However, if somebody would hit one of the animals; is the 'feeder' responsible? Could they be responsible for the spread of disease in a neighborhood?

One could always say that wild animals would naturally run by this person's house. But they are 'baiting' the animals so there is always a dense collections of animals in the area of this person's house.

I know that they are not alone. Many people in rural America feed our wildlife. It is evident from the amount of 'deer corn' and other grains sold to the public every year by simply looking at the multiple pallets offered at stores like Walmart and Tractor Supply. We are buying millions, if not billions, of dollars worth of deer food each year.

Have any such cases gone to court in the US? I am curious if an insurance company would seek reparations for a major loss?

Anyway; just asking the question. I really do not know the answer or answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2019, 08:24 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Deer Corn is used by hunters for Easy Kill

I don't know the answer BUT You could Suggest they put up signs to warn drivers.

Old 06-30-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Deer Corn is used by hunters for Easy Kill

I don't know the answer BUT You could Suggest they put up signs to warn drivers.
Several times in the last few weeks I have had fox run across the road in front of me while driving through the area. The odds of that happening several times in just a few weeks time are not very good. Heck; in my years of truck driving I do not think I have seen that many fox cross the road in front of me. I suspect that they also feed our nocturnal creatures. That would raise concerns of a possible human/nocturnal contact with a rabid animal. Of course rabies is not that common. Then again if somebody is feeding and, because of their actions, they entice wild diseased animals into contact with humans; do they share some liability?

Like I said; I do not know the answers to the questions I am asking. I am sure that somebody has wondered if feeding played a role in why they hit an animal on the road or why they were chased by a turkey or rabid raccoon. Selling deer corn (which usually means corn with a molasses coating), corn, or any 'pet' food that is used to feed our wildlife; is big business. Nobody seems to question the potential negative effects from bringing large herds/groups of wild animals into a neighborhood or close proximity to a road.

In several states the game commissions have made laws or regulations against feeding or baiting wildlife during and just before a hunting season. But they allow stores, like Walmart and others, to sell 'deer corn' right through the season. It sends a double message. The game commission also point out the dangers of feeding; but they usually do nothing except scold (with the exception of bear). In the states that have no bear bating allowed; the commission will be quick to fine the bear feeders or euthanize the bear. They do not want large, sometimes unpredictable bear, too familiar with humans.

Our game commissions are afraid of chronic wasting disease in our deer herds. For that reason alone they are quick to point out that feeding can help spread the disease. So far there have not been that many cases of the disease to scare feeders from feeding. But there are more cases of chronic wasting disease every year. Once the ground is infected with the prions; it stays contaminated for many, many, years.

Old 06-30-2019, 11:42 AM

4,985 posts, read 3,960,626 times
in NC, this is the definition of nuisance wild animals...(note: feeding)
"The keeping, possessing, harboring or feeding of any animal which may threaten the public health, safety and welfare of the community..."

Old 06-30-2019, 12:08 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Are those people that feed wildlife liable?

I don't know but I think they should be held liable. I believe people should not be feeding wildlife and that there should be laws against doing so. People who feed wildlife don't care about the health and safety of the animals they're feeding, they only care about their own personal entertainment. They are committing an act against nature and they sure aren't doing the wildlife any favours, they are only endangering the wildlife and themselves and their neighbours. That includes people who feed birds and squirrels in their yards and ducks and pigeons at the park, etc.

Also, regarding the businesses who manufacture/prepare and sell feed and paraphernalia specifically for the feeding of wildlife, I think there should be laws against that kind of business and they should all be shut down. They're only in it for the money anyway, they don't care about the health and safety of the animals either.

Old 06-30-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Are those people that feed wildlife liable?

I don't know but I think they should be held liable. I believe people should not be feeding wildlife and that there should be laws against doing so. People who feed wildlife don't care about the health and safety of the animals they're feeding, they only care about their own personal entertainment. They are committing an act against nature and they sure aren't doing the wildlife any favours, they are only endangering the wildlife and themselves and their neighbours. That includes people who feed birds and squirrels in their yards and ducks and pigeons at the park, etc.

Also, regarding the businesses who manufacture/prepare and sell feed and paraphernalia specifically for the feeding of wildlife, I think there should be laws against that kind of business and they should all be shut down. They're only in it for the money anyway, they don't care about the health and safety of the animals either.

Some states do allow the baiting of some of the wild animals during hunting season. Here is a list of those that do by one of the suppliers: https://shockeffectwhitetail.com/state-laws/. In my State all bait and signs of mineral and salt licks must be removed 30 days prior to the season. However; we still allow the stores to sell bait and licks through the season. If you look through that list it is obvious that many states differ on what they think is right. For some it looks like baiting is used as a control of the herds. But that could have negative effects if the herds develop chronic wasting disease.

Good post! I am still curious if liability has ever been tested in court?

Old 06-30-2019, 08:09 PM

Why don't you contact the Local Game Warden. Not Animal Control or Dog Warden. I think Game Warden is under the Forestry Dept.

Old 07-01-2019, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Why don't you contact the Local Game Warden. Not Animal Control or Dog Warden. I think Game Warden is under the Forestry Dept.
I might; but my question really is not against one individual. Also my State could have different rules than other states. With all of the deer/car collisions that we have every year; it is easy to believe that somebody has tried to prove negligence on the part of people that lure animals to the spot where the collision took place.

What I am asking is probably more of a question for our legal system? It might be difficult to prove? Lets say your neighbor religiously feeds birds and squirrels and you suffer a bite from a tick and contract Lyme disease. Let us pretend that you take this one step further and catch one of your neighbor's squirrels in a live trap and take it to a veterinarian to see if they can find out if it carries ticks with Lyme disease. The veterinarian then confirms your fears. Even then, in the eyes of the law, it would still be difficult to prove that your disease was caused by your neighbor's squirrels. Of course it would be easier to prove that a neighbor attracted deer to an area where you hit one with a car.

I really don't know the answer and I am not trying to change the 'system'. My neighbor is feeding in a 25 mph speed limit and it is easy to stop and let the deer cross (if your doing the speed limit). So I guess one could also say that it's like driving in a parking lot with speed bumps!

Old 07-01-2019, 08:09 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,014,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Several times in the last few weeks I have had fox run across the road in front of me while driving through the area. The odds of that happening several times in just a few weeks time are not very good. Heck; in my years of truck driving I do not think I have seen that many fox cross the road in front of me. I suspect that they also feed our nocturnal creatures. That would raise concerns of a possible human/nocturnal contact with a rabid animal. Of course rabies is not that common. Then again if somebody is feeding and, because of their actions, they entice wild diseased animals into contact with humans; do they share some liability?

Like I said; I do not know the answers to the questions I am asking. I am sure that somebody has wondered if feeding played a role in why they hit an animal on the road or why they were chased by a turkey or rabid raccoon. Selling deer corn (which usually means corn with a molasses coating), corn, or any 'pet' food that is used to feed our wildlife; is big business. Nobody seems to question the potential negative effects from bringing large herds/groups of wild animals into a neighborhood or close proximity to a road.

In several states the game commissions have made laws or regulations against feeding or baiting wildlife during and just before a hunting season. But they allow stores, like Walmart and others, to sell 'deer corn' right through the season. It sends a double message. The game commission also point out the dangers of feeding; but they usually do nothing except scold (with the exception of bear). In the states that have no bear bating allowed; the commission will be quick to fine the bear feeders or euthanize the bear. They do not want large, sometimes unpredictable bear, too familiar with humans.

Our game commissions are afraid of chronic wasting disease in our deer herds. For that reason alone they are quick to point out that feeding can help spread the disease. So far there have not been that many cases of the disease to scare feeders from feeding. But there are more cases of chronic wasting disease every year. Once the ground is infected with the prions; it stays contaminated for many, many, years.

I don't know much about much, but it would seem to me that a well fed animal would be a healthier animal than one not well fed.

And a rabid animal probably isn't going to eat or drink, so it wouldn't be coming around a feeder.

Old 07-01-2019, 10:02 AM

They could fine them for Feeding the wild life https://blogs.findlaw.com/law_and_li...d-animals.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature