U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 11:01 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,169,753 times

Advertisements

What a nice story about a man who helps wildlife. He rescued a hummingbird and it has returned back to his yard for four years now.

Quote:
While other patients come and go, the little hummingbird named Buzz just kept returning to his old friend, year after year.
https://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/an...eturns-georgia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 12:22 PM

27,093 posts, read 5,897,864 times
Love how they remember who helps them and who feeds them each year....

Old 07-04-2019, 06:05 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,101,378 times
Years ago, I had a feeder hanging on my deck. Even though I haven't hung it up in several years, every year I get some hummingbirds who come to the exact same spot where the hanger used to be. They look around for it, then take off again.

They have very good memories.

Old 07-06-2019, 08:24 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,352,656 times
That's one of the reasons it's so important to have your feeders up by the same time every year. They will return where they had good feeding grounds (frequently with young following) but if the feeders aren't there when they return, they'll go elsewhere. That's how to build up a sizeable population. I know in N. Alabama we had to have our feeders up by March 13th every yr. There might only be 1 bird for a while, but the feeder needs to be there for them to stay.

Old 07-07-2019, 12:05 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,101,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
That's one of the reasons it's so important to have your feeders up by the same time every year. They will return where they had good feeding grounds (frequently with young following) but if the feeders aren't there when they return, they'll go elsewhere. That's how to build up a sizeable population. I know in N. Alabama we had to have our feeders up by March 13th every yr. There might only be 1 bird for a while, but the feeder needs to be there for them to stay.

My feeder is gone because I planted flowers for them instead, which they do use. They especially like the honeysuckle I planted for them. I haven't abandoned them.

But the ones that used the feeder years ago still remember it.

Old 07-08-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
My feeder is gone because I planted flowers for them instead, which they do use. They especially like the honeysuckle I planted for them. I haven't abandoned them.

But the ones that used the feeder years ago still remember it.

Well, obviously, that works too!

Old Today, 04:56 AM

247 posts, read 73,136 times
Actually, while it is amazing and sweet that this hummingbird would return to this guy’s hand, migrating birds very frequently return to exactly the same spot where they wintered or bred the previously year whether.

I almost didn’t post this because the story is so wonderful, but I did. Sorry????

Old Today, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
Actually, while it is amazing and sweet that this hummingbird would return to this guy’s hand, migrating birds very frequently return to exactly the same spot where they wintered or bred the previously year whether.

I almost didn’t post this because the story is so wonderful, but I did. Sorry????

I don't reckon it's a problem. I basically said it in post #4 without saying it, lol.

Old Today, 02:12 PM

1,768 posts, read 566,969 times
Great story OP. Thanks for posting. Did you read about this one?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-...-miles-7521464

It’s a tough world out there for wild things and a little bit of kindness can be remembered for a lifetime.

Old Today, 03:31 PM

5,756 posts, read 4,169,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
Great story OP. Thanks for posting. Did you read about this one?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-...-miles-7521464

It’s a tough world out there for wild things and a little bit of kindness can be remembered for a lifetime.
Another awesome animal story. Thanks for sharing.

Animals are SO much more intelligent than we think. It's been proven in so many cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or