U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2019, 11:38 AM

239 posts, read 76,749 times

Advertisements

We have eagles.
They are everywhere.
Mostly bald eagles but we are blessed to have golden eagles as well.
We see about 4 or so bald eagles a day but when we see a golden eagle it’s really really cool.
Attached Thumbnails
We have eagles-f497eb7e-1f8c-46a3-b3ae-f1081967ba5c.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 11:52 AM

239 posts, read 76,749 times
Ha!
Sad part is we also have 2 chihuahuas, a cat and one big Pitt bull.
The little ones are needing a spiked suit to fend these off.
We now will have “punk rockers” for pets.
I hope our Pitt who is friendly as a lamb will help protect the little ones
Yesterday an eagle grabbed a seagull right out of the sky and plucked it then flew the fillet to its nest.
We watched this for 30 minutes or so.
Today about an hour ago we saw a baldie hammer down on a large salmon.
It fought it in shallow water for 5-10 minutes before it took it to the dock.
I think we have a nest right around the bend .
Who knows?
Need me a telescope that does pics and vids.
Andy

Old 07-03-2019, 12:16 PM

27,093 posts, read 5,882,815 times
Lucky you, Andy!

Old 07-03-2019, 12:19 PM

3,956 posts, read 2,028,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
We have eagles.
They are everywhere.
Mostly bald eagles but we are blessed to have golden eagles as well.
We see about 4 or so bald eagles a day but when we see a golden eagle it’s really really cool.
Beautiful. I miss all the bald eagles near my old house, which was about 10 minutes from one of the largest eagle nesting sites on the east coast. Since I lived three blocks from a major river, the eagles would frequently fly overhead with their catch in their beaks. Occasionally they would drop a whole or half fish in the yard. I still remember crossing the bridge over the Rappahannock River from one county into the next and seeing two eagles locked into a flying spiral - I almost stopped traffic by slowing down so much so I could watch them. It was a magnificent sight.

Now, as far as golden eagles go, I haven't seen them since I was out in the Aleutian Islands. There they were perched on the abandoned buildings and light poles all over our former radar base. Equally beautiful.

Old 07-03-2019, 12:21 PM

608 posts, read 152,488 times
Yes, it's beautiful to see them even in a suburban area. Once or twice I've caught site of crows dive bombing them to try and drive them away from their nesting site. The eagles didn't seem terribly perturbed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature