U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-04-2019, 08:54 AM
 
2,109 posts, read 722,454 times
Reputation: 5408

Advertisements

I buy bird seed in giant bags and store the bag in my garage. I'm down to about the last one-eighth of the bag and little tiny moths have moved in big-time. My guess is that the moths themselves are extra protein for the birds but I'm a bit concerned about the web-like material among the seeds. I'm sitting here watching and so far some house finches and a cardinal have happily fed on the moth-laden seeds.

Anyone know if it's OK to put these seeds in the bird feeders?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-04-2019, 08:57 AM
 
Location: Florida
22,325 posts, read 9,489,425 times
Reputation: 18223
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I buy bird seed in giant bags and store the bag in my garage. I'm down to about the last one-eighth of the bag and little tiny moths have moved in big-time. My guess is that the moths themselves are extra protein for the birds but I'm a bit concerned about the web-like material among the seeds. I'm sitting here watching and so far some house finches and a cardinal have happily fed on the moth-laden seeds.

Anyone know if it's OK to put these seeds in the bird feeders?
I don't think birds mind moths--maybe even eat them.

But watch out for those moths (Indian moths?). We had the same thing happen with a bird seed and it took us months to get rid of them. They went from the garage to the house and like hanging out on the ceiling.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2019, 09:59 AM
 
Location: Indiana (USA)
43,360 posts, read 1,285,892 times
Reputation: 2184
Do they look like this?


https://www.google.com/search?q=pant...w=1536&bih=719
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2019, 11:29 AM
 
2,109 posts, read 722,454 times
Reputation: 5408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob12 View Post
Yes, they probably are pantry moths- thanks for the warning. I've had to deal with them before so I'm pretty cautious about them now. That's why I keep the birdseed bag in the garage!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2019, 11:41 AM
 
Location: Arizona
183 posts, read 112,233 times
Reputation: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I don't think birds mind moths--maybe even eat them.

But watch out for those moths (Indian moths?). We had the same thing happen with a bird seed and it took us months to get rid of them. They went from the garage to the house and like hanging out on the ceiling.
Had the same problem when I raised birds until someone told me to keep the seed in the freezer. Doesn't get rid of them but it keeps them from multiplying in the bag.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2019, 03:29 PM
 
2,109 posts, read 722,454 times
Reputation: 5408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibay View Post
Had the same problem when I raised birds until someone told me to keep the seed in the freezer. Doesn't get rid of them but it keeps them from multiplying in the bag.
Thanks- I'll do that with the next bag. Fortunately I have a big freezer!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2019, 03:33 PM
 
Location: on the wind
7,157 posts, read 2,942,978 times
Reputation: 24224
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I buy bird seed in giant bags and store the bag in my garage. I'm down to about the last one-eighth of the bag and little tiny moths have moved in big-time. My guess is that the moths themselves are extra protein for the birds but I'm a bit concerned about the web-like material among the seeds. I'm sitting here watching and so far some house finches and a cardinal have happily fed on the moth-laden seeds.

Anyone know if it's OK to put these seeds in the bird feeders?
Its actually a sign that the seed isn't overly contaminated with agricultural residues. The grubs, pupae, and moths will be welcomed. As mentioned, freeze the bags when you first get them to slow or stop moth production that could infest your house. When I shop for new seed I shake and turn the bags upside down to check for webbiness and frass if the bag is clear. If not, check the bottom for pin holes chewed by the grubs. Just means more empty shell waste.

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-04-2019 at 03:55 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2019, 05:46 PM
 
Location: Eugene, Oregon
9,170 posts, read 3,012,651 times
Reputation: 13850
I have an old refrigerator in the back room that no longer runs. But it provides an airtight storage space for fresh fruit, dry beans and birdseed. Rodents, moths and fruit flies can't get inside, with the rubber door seal.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2019, 05:52 PM
 
Location: on the wind
7,157 posts, read 2,942,978 times
Reputation: 24224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I have an old refrigerator in the back room that no longer runs. But it provides an airtight storage space for fresh fruit, dry beans and birdseed. Rodents, moths and fruit flies can't get inside, with the rubber door seal.
Yes, but the problem still exists. So often the eggs of those moths and fruit flies are already IN the seed, beans, or on the fruit that gets put in the fridge. Then all the seals will do is keep them in.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2019, 09:25 AM
 
803 posts, read 773,566 times
Reputation: 1406
Birds eat bugs too.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top