Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2019, 12:26 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times

Advertisements

I live in Las Vegas and I see hummingbirds all the time so I want to put out some feeders. I know the birds become dependent on them and I am willing to keep them filled. Here is my question.

It is very hot here during the summer and I have no place to hang feeders that is shaded all the time. Will the nectar get so hot it could hurt the birds? I know feeders are common in Arizona and it is a little bit hotter than it is here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2019, 01:47 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Some info below:

In general, if you change the nectar out daily it won't spoil to the point it is toxic. In your situation I'd use smaller capacity feeders, make up nectar batches and fridge them, and change the nectar daily. When you change it may end up depending on your daily schedule. If you get up really early before they are active, maybe it would be better to change it then. If they are using the feeder before you are up, maybe the evening before would work better. You could choose feeders with tops that overhang or attach something overhead to shade the reservoir from direct sun. Duncraft has various rain/snow/weather shield attachments for bird feeders. I don't know if all hummers are equally territorial, but IME there ends up being one or maybe two dominant birds defending a feeder anyway. They'll keep the others away. Once the daily pattern of use settles down you can predict how much nectar to make and waste less.

The Best Way to Feed Hummingbirds in Warm Weather | Real Gardens Grow Natives

https://www.audubon.org/news/hummingbird-feeding-faqs

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-06-2019 at 02:19 PM..

Old 07-06-2019, 02:17 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,750 times
Feeders in hot weather can ferment, and they can grow mold. I'd change them daily in hot weather.

Personally, I quit using feeders and planted flowers that hummingbirds like instead, because I think it's healthier for them.

Old 07-06-2019, 02:47 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Thank you! I can see now I will need to get a feeder that has a small capacity and change it out every day in the summer.

Love the idea of the plants but I don't have space for them.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:05 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,122,405 times
I'm in Alabama and we generally had 5 large feeders out regularly. Often with close to 100 degrees and sunlight hitting some of them all the time. We did not have to change our nectar out daily but could go several days before it turned. We had a huge population (I moved after the passing of my husband last yr) and if we used small feeders we would be refilling them a few times a day (because of consumption, not sunlight or mold or algae). 2 of our larger feeders on some years wouldn't make it thru the day before the birds emptied them. If you're just starting out, small ones should be fine. Don't add red dye to the nectar. I used to wonder about the same with the temp of the nectar and would it hurt/burn the birds tongues but it never seemed to bother them.

We always kept extra feeders on hand (I probably have about 15 of them or so) and just filled a new one and swapped it out with the old one rather than having the birds swarm an empty spot while we cleaned and refilled the feeder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature