U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you seeing a decline in the number of insects where you live?
yes, definitely 24 40.00%
no 31 51.67%
can't really say that i've paid enough attention to say 3 5.00%
other 2 3.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 09:50 AM

6,770 posts, read 8,104,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
There's a difference between extirpation- local loss of population vs extinction-- complete loss of a taxon. Don't confuse the two.
I never do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 11:11 AM

4,017 posts, read 2,073,433 times
No decline in insects here. I have trouble watering my plants some days due to the number of bumblebees and butterflies that are on them - I hate to disturb the insects while they're feeding. But then again, I try to plant native plants to foster the local pollinators.

Old 07-18-2019, 12:23 PM

1,427 posts, read 869,643 times
A lot less bumblebees this year, and really bees in general where I'm at. Also not too many hornets/wasps either, which is definitely a surprise.

Mosquitos unfortunately, are still in full swing.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:52 PM

1,491 posts, read 824,079 times
Quote:
I now live in rural WI and have to swat butterflies away like suburbanites swat mosquitos.
What kind of butterflies?

Quote:
The only people who think MotherNature is in trouble are those who never get out of the city.
Lol. And millions of scientists.

Quote:
BTW- use your brains a little-- how many insects are there in the tropics?....How many live on The Tundra?...Is Global Warming (if it even exists*) helping or hurting insects?...If you see it on The Evening News, it's probably not true...Think for yourselves. Don't be led to the slaughter without putting up a fight.
Huh? Hard to make heads or tails out of that paragraph. Don't try, unless you actually know something about insect ecology.
Quote:
* Records show that only the polar areas (ie- N or S of 30* latitude) are warming day & nite temps. Temperate latitudes are warming only at nite and tropics not warming at all.
* Once again, not true. First of all, lol, north and south of 30 is not "polar". Second of all, the daytime increase is simply greater toward the poles. Daytime temperatures are not rising as much as nighttime temps in temperate regions, but they are still rising.

And if there is anything worse than a day that's too warm, its a night that's too warm. Tonight will be one of those nights where I live.

Old 07-19-2019, 06:29 AM

6,946 posts, read 3,919,976 times
I've definitely seen fewer insects in my garden, and I had about a 50% reduction in pollination of my strawberries in spring. Now in summer I've seen only one swallowtail butterfly and one bumblebee.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:43 AM

530 posts, read 270,132 times
Flies, flies, and more flies!! Lots of fleas, but haven't noticed many mosquitoes. However, since the heat index here lately has been over 100 degrees, with 60% humidity, I haven't gone out very often.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:01 AM

7,375 posts, read 6,654,203 times
Quote:

* Records show that only the polar areas (ie- N or S of 30* latitude) are warming day & nite temps. Temperate latitudes are warming only at nite and tropics not warming at all. You'd expect that (regardless of cause) because heat energy moves from warm to cold-- any increased heat in tropics would naturally move towards the poles.

Guido, records are from the past - that's why they're called records. This is the here and now, not the past, and things are changing.

Here is something on record that has not changed - the polar zones start at 66.34* latitude, not at 30* latitude. The regions between 23.26* latitude and 66.34* latitude are the temperate zones. The temperate zones are warming in the day times and in places around ocean coastlines or in far northern or far southern temperate zones they're warming at night too depending on earth's seasonal (i.e. either summer or winter) tilt toward the sun.

No pun intended, but that's a whole lot of 'latitude' around the world for there to be climate changes in and for other changes to be happening in with regard to insects.

Old 07-19-2019, 04:12 PM

2,784 posts, read 1,078,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Guido, records are from the past - that's why they're called records. This is the here and now, not the past, and things are changing.

http://i54.tinypic.com/ruzbxh.jpg
Figure 2 Climate Observations: Notes On Polar Amplification

-can't find the reference quickly, but that little bit of warming in mid-lats is due to slightly elevated nightly minima and not any elevation of daytime highs. (Note the over-riding 60 yr cycle, co2 notwithstanding).

Someone above asked me what butterflies am I seeing?-- all types. Copious Monarchs & Red Admirals,& coppers this time of year. A few examples of swallowtails( a little early for them- I have noticed fewer honey bees (an invasive species) around the oriole feeders (after a brutally cold winter; 2nd coldest on record here in WI) although their numbers are usual at the small, spring fed ponds on my property. Bumble bees plentiful as usual.

I have30 ac of pasture that was neglected for 10 yrs before I bought here. They're loaded with wild rose, daisy, asters and several other wild flowers (weeds). As I move thru them mowing periodically to improve the pasture, it's obvious they're swarming with butterflies, moths, dragonflies, various bees/wasps...This supports my contention that it's loss of habitat (even mowing is degrading) affecting insect numbers the most. Other factors (insecticides, warming, etc) are insignificant.....Even light pollution from porch lites & streetlights are affecting normal mating behavior.

Old 07-19-2019, 04:25 PM

2,256 posts, read 728,837 times
Nope. You can help yourself to some of our mosquitos, fire ants and fruit flies if you'd like.

Old 07-20-2019, 11:41 AM

1,868 posts, read 330,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
A lot less bumblebees this year, and really bees in general where I'm at. Also not too many hornets/wasps either, which is definitely a surprise.

Mosquitos unfortunately, are still in full swing.
Same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature