U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you seeing a decline in the number of insects where you live?
yes, definitely 30 37.50%
no 43 53.75%
can't really say that i've paid enough attention to say 4 5.00%
other 3 3.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 07:02 AM

1,270 posts, read 849,613 times

Advertisements

I wish the wasps, hornets and mosquitoes will decline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 10:01 AM

4,371 posts, read 1,254,914 times
I fly-fish and I've just about given up this year due to a lack of fly hatches. In years past yellow Caddis flies were very abundant, but not this year. We also had an unusual weather event late winter with a heavy, wet snowfall that broke a lot of tree branches, caused mud slides and flooded the river with a lot of woody debris coming down stream. That might of contributed to low hatches.

Old 09-19-2019, 02:54 AM

14,731 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Here is a little visitor I had yesterday. Recently I have also observed some Monarch butterflies; hopefully they will stay away from my visitor!

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 09-19-2019, 07:31 AM

4,155 posts, read 2,881,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
it could, but probably not in my direct experience. my old truck is not very aerodynamic..

i can recall driving across parts of texas in the middle of the night years ago and fireflies would smash into the windshield every few minutes and leaving glowing goo behind.
Interesting, I live where there's tons of fireflies and never had that happen, but I do remember a couple of times when driving in the southwest when I drove into a swarm of some kind of bugs that covered the whole windshield, couldn't see and had to pull off with other drivers to clean them off. Ugh.

As for the OP's questions, no, we are not seeing a reduction in any insects where we are. Plenty of bees, wasps, yellow jackets, hornets, butterflies, ants, spiders, gnats, flies, stink bugs, you name it, they're at my house. We live in a wooded neighborhood with plenty of streams and ponds.

Old 09-20-2019, 09:56 AM

2,529 posts, read 1,750,601 times
In my area of SWFL, pollinators have been in abundance, which are the insects I work alongside the most. Along with honeybees, native bees and butterflies have been busy in our yard. We don’t live in an HOA and have many native and non-native plants they use for nectar. I don’t use pesticides or herbicides and sterile, manicured lawns that use both poisons are not the norm in our neighborhood.

Are you seeing a decline in the number of insects where you live?-476d1be2-8969-46d2-b953-79711ed0dd0d.jpeg

Old Yesterday, 11:53 PM

198 posts, read 37,768 times
No, we have not seen a decline in insects here. Hotter summers, ten months of warm weather and an increasing number of days with 55F+ highs are adding more and more room for insects to reproduce and compete without wiping one another out. Also, numerous invasive species are getting on my nerves; I've yet to notice any Asian Lady Beetles this year and saw rather few last year, but they were everywhere prior, and those Stink Bugs are already worse in the house than any other winter combined.

I wish the birds, ants and frogs would increase in number too and eat all these nasty pests. Maybe if those Texas Brown Tarantulas find a way across the Mississippi River, they'll finally spread into Tennessee and give those invasive species some serious competition (not to mention threaten dangerous natives like mice and brown recluse).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature